Wiki Posts
Search

Motor help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Motor help!

Ok guys I baught a used 8-T thats basically brand new... Guy put a brand new losi mach 427 and team losi sport pipe on it when he sold it to me... The motor has only had 4 tanks idled though it by him... Its extrememly tight...

So I went and baught a team losi starter box with gell cell 12 volt battery in it... It wont spin the motor over... I charged the battery up for 12 hours so I know its charged... If I take the glow plug out it spins the hell out of it, but wont with the glow plug in, too much compression?

So I headed the engine up to 160 degrees, tried to crank it still wont crank up but spins better than it did...

Any ideas? Almost to the point to let the guy at the lhs break the motor in for me...

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Loosen the plug slightly to relieve some compression and it should crank. Heat motor to 200* (If possible)
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

One thing, did you check the fuel lines to be sure fuel is getting to the motor? Sometimes people mix up the lines, so that is one thing I'd check. Also, did you check the plug? Most times, you should be able to start up the engine with the ignitor engaged. Also, treat the truck as if you bought it new from the store. Take out the motor, clean it, and lube it. Then re-install it. Are you sure your ignitor is charged? I would hope the person didn't take any shims out from the under the head, but you might want to look up on the internet or someone here to see how many and what color/thickness the shims you should be running. good luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

glow plugs are good, fuel lines are not crossed, glow plug ignighter has brand new battery in it.... did loosen the plug slightly and didnt work... i did take the motor out and inspect it, its clean as a whistle inside and out... the correct number of shims are there...

also im using medium plugs, should i be running hot ones? i am using nitrotane 20% sport formula...

I baught it off this sight from rcdave2260, hes takes very good care of his rigs!! its in tip top shape...

Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well the start of your problem was when you bought the losi starter box it's garbage. Sorry I had that same problem those motors couldn't turn a door knob. I had that box and nothing but problems. You can always upgrade the motors. Then engines fine matter of fact it's better than fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Since you already have the losi box try using a heat gun heating the cooling head and case up to about 175- 200. Try this with some of the other advise your getting something is bound to work. One more thing if you can spare the money put that losi box on ebay as fast as you can and get a ofna box. Super King or the one with 2x 775 motors.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

well i was told this box will start anything i need to with it... plus i dont at the moment dont have the money on another one right now... mabe later on... so for now this will have to work.. i heated the cooling head to about 160 degrees it spun the motor over good then, but as soon as the head cooled off it was hard again.......

Alex

Last edited by hound_dogs_01; 03-22-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

any other ideas?

Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
well i was told this box will start anything i need to with it... plus i dont at the moment dont have the money on another one right now... mabe later on... so for now this will have to work.. i heated the cooling head to about 160 degrees it spun the motor over good then, but as soon as the head cooled off it was hard again.......

Alex
That is the point. It needs to be heated. It is a new engine, so it will have that pinch that needs heat until it is fully broken in. So what you have to do is heat it up and start it. you should really be heating it to close to 200 degrees, and heat the sides of the block too, not just the head. Once you get it heated and it will turn over you should be able to start it with ease.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

ok well im off tomarrow to the lhs to get this thing running... the little ceramic heater i was using(dont have a heat gun) would only get it to around 160.... so mabe theyll have some luck with it...

Alex
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
ok well im off tomarrow to the lhs to get this thing running... the little ceramic heater i was using(dont have a heat gun) would only get it to around 160.... so mabe theyll have some luck with it...

Alex
Just get a heat gun and do it yourself. Having the LHS do stuff for you will not teach you anything!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

oh i am going to be there doing it with him..... trust me... lol im trying to learn more thats why hes helping me and im on this forum... ive only been into this hobby for give or take 6 months or so... and this is my first new motor...

i have another one sitting in the box going on my savage once all the parts arrive....

Alex
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Those are most of the things I'd look at. Do you know what fuel the original user was running through the engine? If he was running 30%, then you could be overly fat since it'd be rich since it was 30% and that it was being run in. good luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

he broke it in with nitrotane 20% is what he said...

any how just so you guys know i took it to the hobby shop we put a heat gun on it and WA LA! she fired right up... i didnt have any more problems out of it once we idled the tank at the hobby shop through it.... i idled 3 tanks though it this morning , thats 7 tanks total so far... no im going to start putting it around the yard at 1/4 throttle...

thanks for all the help fellas!!!

Alex
Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Well the start of your problem was when you bought the losi starter box it's garbage. Sorry I had that same problem those motors couldn't turn a door knob. I had that box and nothing but problems. You can always upgrade the motors. Then engines fine matter of fact it's better than fine.
Losi starter box is just fine. I owned two of them (still have one). Only used them on .21 engines, on and off road. Turns them over with zero problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.