R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default OFNA PICCO .26 engine

got it from a buddy of mine. IT is in GREAT condition. He says it's about 8-10 years old. He says they don't make them like this anymore and how bad ass it is. I am back into rc after a long time and i would like some input on what manifold and pipe i should put on it. I just finished putting together my mugen mbx 6

this a good engine??? Oh and i want a pipe that will make it FLY!!!
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

go to the ofna site and go into the discussion section, then to engine part and look up force 26, I do believe that's what you have. unless it says picco on the crank case it's a force 26. not a bad engine, some were good some just crap. also make sure back plate carb are sealed. If it is in fact a force use a long pipe from an lx pro kit or a rtr run jammin. they are dirt cheap on ebay. I have the .25 force from that time period, right before they came out with the 26. and they work best with that old style long pipe manifold. I have an old one here if you want it 20.00 shipped, just pm me. I have 12 gallons on my engine. all's I ever did was replace the rod. my wife uses it a jammin rtr.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Good engines when they're running right. I had a few front bearing leak problems on both of my picco .26 outlaws, which made tuning a nightmare, but when the bearing was good it was fast and consistent.
junier00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If it is a picco thats a good engine. Now if it wasnt stored properly I dont know you should strip it to the core and check it clean it out with denatured alcahol and if it is in good condition put it back together and make shure to seal the backplate and every new O-ring will need replaced. It just seems like alot of work to me to put in an awesome $600 kit and still wont be race legal. If you are going to race it and the carb takes inserts get an innovative designs 5 or 5.5mm 1 for it, if they make the 5 get that. That engine after you get it up and going will be a torque monster .21 is the race limit for buggy and you got 1 of the lightest ones out there so the 5mm insert will give you mileage and save your drivetrain. You are going to need a top end pipe for that I recommend the Dynamite 086 new they are $40-$50. And when you are ready to get a .21 PM me and I can point you in the right direction that wont kill your pockets and will perform with engines 2-3 times the price. Hope I helped you. Good point I would also get both new bearings for all that you can get a new beginner .21 though.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I got 2 picco 26 when they first came out had small issue with the low speed needles. No problem there different low speed needle. Fix for the leaking front bearing was double sealed bearing. Other than that very strong engine ran great tons of torque to move my savage. I got 3 picco 26, 27 and 2 picco 28. The picco 27 same size as the picco 26 but with sleeve porting.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote