R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default how bad is the 2008 xray xt8

i sold my cars 'cause i needed the money, but now i want to come back, and i'm planning to get as my first car a truggy. a friend of mine offered me an xray xt8, with grp tunned.28 engine, almost like new. electronics are complete, including radio since i sold my 4pk. he includes me a futaba's 3pm.

i had had an ofna hyper st pro. i'm wondering if this xt8 is in fact better than i had before, and if not definitly i won't get that package, and i'll wait a little bit more to get back to the hobby to get everything new. the fully functional xt8 will cost me 600 bucks.

what you think about this change will be better than i had before?or should i wait to get something better?

thanks
mc_chofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

the xt8 is a lot better then a ofna st pro ,im sure its lighter and proberty faster,the ofna st isnt bad though ,i seen a couple of guys run them at my track and they look good.and a couple of guys with a xt8 and it look dam good but that was the driver though i now for sure. the thing that sucks is that xray parts arent cheap and if u have a hobby store my you its kind of iffy when something breaks but online u can easily find them,i would look at a rc18t tuggy i heard they are pretty good and the parts are at a decent price or look at a losi eight 2.0 , im actully pretty new to 1/8 buggy i raced 2
wheel drive nitro, i did race with a hyper 7 tq dam that thing was a tank i would say 7.8 pounds but tough as hell.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

The XT8 is a great truck. It is absolutely my first choice, hands down. (The new Losi 8T 2.0 looks good, but only time will tell how durable it is.)

The XRay XT8 uses XRay's proprietary "Hudy Steel" for all the metal drivetrain components. It is VERY tough, the XRay has much lower drivetrain wear than most. I just got rid of my Jammin to get an XRay.

No, parts aren't as inexepnsive as, for example, the Associated RC8T... but you won't need to replace parts as often either. Get the XRay, you won't be disappointed. NOBODY matches them on quality, period.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

The truck is so bad that I TQ'd over two local Losi factory guys with their new 8T 2.0's at a larger than club race a few weeks ago and I am leading points in the Texas series truck points and won $500 in a money race last weekend, etc.... And so bad that I posted 2 out of 3 top 40 runs at Silver State last year. Ok I'm done, haha!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

save up and preorder the 09 xt8..........you will spend less than getting all the parts for an 08 xt8. All the improvements listed for the 09 will make a great truck even better
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If its a full RTR package and you trust the guy I would get it depending on which servos are in it. The engine is top knotch, truggy is good and can be upgraded to the new specs in time. Like I said if there are 2 good servos and the 3PM and it is like new like you say why not. I have seen killer deals be had when people are hurting I have sold 1 or 2 myself.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
save up and preorder the 09 xt8..........you will spend less than getting all the parts for an 08 xt8. All the improvements listed for the 09 will make a great truck even better
How so? The full package will cost him $600... the 09 is $649, + engine, ($300?) + pipe, ($50-$150) + radio, ($200+) + servos ($200+)... $1400+, so he'd have to spend at least $800 on upgrades (when the whole truck is $649) for it to be cheaper than the package deal his buddy is offering.

In my case, I bought the "current" truck used... when the new stuff is available, I'll change the chassis and center CVDs. I don't care about the carbon fiber stuff- it is lighter, but not as durable. I'll stick with the aluminum parts on the current truck. But, mine already has the 808 shocks (current truck doesn't come with big bores) and the single front camberlink mod.

I'll have half the price of the new truck in it, and be happy with it.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

thats a steal!!!! the truggy is awesome even without the big bores and without the 09 conversion. besides 600 for just the car and grp combo is a killer deal> my only concern is too much motor for that truggy. the truggy has an awesome drivetrain and thats alot of motor...lol
MO
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote