Wiki Posts
Search

GRP ENGINE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Uh NO. Any .21 engine should run between 200-230. Running an engine cooler than that will kill it just as fast as running it too hot. Every engine needs to heat up to the point where the parts have correct tolerences. You have to get it to the temp where metal pinch is gone. If you run it cooler than that point you could damage the rod, piston or sleeve. GRP's arent any different than any other engine. 225 is a perfectly normal temprature for that engine especially at 90 outside temp.
I understand im new, but please dont argue when you dont know what your talking about. but thanks for trying to help.

Engine temperature will vary from engine to engine—depending on the air temperature, fuel, carburetor restrictor, altitude, and driving style. The proper temperature range for GRP engines is between 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit.
http://www.losi.com/Articles/Article...ArticleID=1897

Originally Posted by shesha
1- If the piston and sleeve are still pinching then your still not past the breakin in process so that heat build up is from the pinching.

2- What fuel are you using check the content and make sure your shimming is correct. Out of the box it's for 20% to 30% you can remove one shim if you one not more then 0.1

3- Check for fuel line leakages you might be lean cause of that.

4- Check the engine / manifold rubbers grommets and the pipe side as well a small leak there could make a world of difference.

5- Pressure test your fuel tank and check the fuel filter for any debris.

Other then that if you still facing issues an engine tear down would be precautionary step for your to see if there is any abnormal wear.
1. engine has about 2 gallons on it so it past break n

2. Im using sidewinder 30% worlds

3. I looked and found nothing on the last tear down

4. i replace the groments after every rebuild and it just got rebuilt

5. did that

The engine ran good today at the races but im still running rich. Temps were at 215-225. I had good bottom end but the top end was rich, but i wasnt getting passes on the straight away. I am using a P3 plug
Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and now your gonna argue with him losi racer...... when will you ever learn.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

my grp ran good at 220-230, it didnt like to run at 180 like everyone else says they run them at, try a p4 plug you will be able to lean it a little more, i found the grp to tune differently then any other motor i had, i found i had to adjust the low more then the top to get it to perform good, it liked to be a tick rich on the top and leaner on the bottom
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cjm1126
my grp ran good at 220-230, it didnt like to run at 180 like everyone else says they run them at, try a p4 plug you will be able to lean it a little more, i found the grp to tune differently then any other motor i had, i found i had to adjust the low more then the top to get it to perform good, it liked to be a tick rich on the top and leaner on the bottom

EXACTLY how you tuned the Old Ninja's.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
but grps are supposed to run 160-200... i dont tune by temp i do it by how it sounds and smoke, i temp it AFTER i finish tuning it. i have a race tonight so hopefully it goes well
I honestly don't believe any nitro engine should run at 160 degrees with a race tune but part of that is because I have never experienced it myself. I'm sure there are people who's engines run at that temp but mine don't. My non tuned grps's average around 210-220 degrees most of the time at the end of a tank and they are running excellent. I don't tune by temp either I just use the temp gun for a reference. I say tune it by ear and eye and let the engine do the talking. If it's running perfectly don't worry about the temp. Everything affects your temp from driving style, type of fuel, type of plug and heat range, track your on, body on your vehicle, outside temp, outside humidity, clutch setup, tire setup(whether your spinning tires excessively or overrevving)..etc...

In other words don't let everyone else tell you what "your" engine should be running at. Tune it to run well and have a steady stream of smoke and let it eat......
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

The problem is that if you're using the GRP 2053 FLS pipe with the tuned engine, it sounds nothing like most engines. It has a low rumble going from mid-range to top end which makes you believe you're running rich on the top end. Thus people think they should lean it out. I watch people at the track using these engines and they all sound the same. It doesn't tune like most engines. Also, the cooling head on the TUNED line does too good of a job pulling heat away from the engine. I learned to take the engines temp by the side of the crankcase instead. It will always be 20-30 degrees hotter than the cooling head. So when you're seeing temp reading at 180-190, it's already 210-230 degrees at the crankcase.

It took me a while to understand this engine, with a little help from my engine whispering friend, we got her running just about where I want it to be. I have my LSN 1 full turn in from flush and my HSN at around 4 turns in from flush. Idle gap is about 1 mm. I'm also using #5 GRP plugs.

Last edited by Poppin Fresh; 03-19-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: *
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I understand im new, but please dont argue when you dont know what your talking about. but thanks for trying to help.

Engine temperature will vary from engine to engine—depending on the air temperature, fuel, carburetor restrictor, altitude, and driving style. The proper temperature range for GRP engines is between 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit.
I really don't care what the manuel says. That is NOT the correct temperature for ANY engine. If you don't want to take my advise, then that is fine, but anyone who knows what they are doing will tell you that 160 degrees F is way too cold. Seriously why do you even start these threads if you don't want to hear what people have to say? If you go along listening to the manuel all the time, and never listen to other EXPERIENCED people, you will learn nothing.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

1. engine has about 2 gallons on it so it past break n

2. Im using sidewinder 30% worlds

3. I looked and found nothing on the last tear down

4. i replace the groments after every rebuild and it just got rebuilt

5. did that

The engine ran good today at the races but im still running rich. Temps were at 215-225. I had good bottom end but the top end was rich, but i wasnt getting passes on the straight away. I am using a P3 plug

Like I said before 19 and you think you know everything.

It's always the same crap with you. I find it CLASSIC how you post a thread asking for advice and also mention that you are "kinda new" to nitro. People jump in and give you great advice, but you with your 19yrs of vast experience on earth cop a typical attitude. Once again all you had to say was something like " I get what you are saying, the reason Im saying the motor is running hot is becuse if you read this link I have posted it states the motor should be at these temps, what do you think" but instead you just act like a douche.

That's how you effing reply to that statement.

Last edited by everyjuangohome; 03-19-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Lord

Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im not sayin i know everything, my grp used to run at 160. i know i think i know everything but integra kindly put in me my place. im going on what a pro expert told me at the nitro challenge. and i did say btw thanks for helpin