R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Cool What does it do when you pinch an engine???? Help

A guy told me to get my engine pinched and i dont know what that is? Please HElP!!!
halfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfman View Post
A guy told me to get my engine pinched and i dont know what that is? Please HElP!!!
a clamp or press system is used to reduce the diamiter of the top portion of the sleeve, when doing this it creates a tighter seal at TDC, close or beyond what the engine had when it was new, u can have this done and most of the time it will help restore the compresion of the engine, but also cause more stress on the rod and crank pin due to the new tightness, it's a cheap way to get a few more weekend out of the engine.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Contact Powerhouse, he has a thread on here. He can hook you up with from what everyone says the best sleeve pinching service. It is a way to get much longer life from your engine by pinching the sleeve closed on the piston which raises compression, hence longer life. You actually have to do a small break in after its done and I have heard of guys getting 3-5 more gallons out of their mills which is awesome for the price. Brain you beat me LOL.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default RayAracing reconditioning-resizing

Quote:
There is a few threads running on the subject here on rctech. You can pic up some info on my website. Search here and use google search and you will find lots and lots info you need. Good luck friend. RayA
RayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayA View Post
There is a few threads running on the subject here on rctech. You can pic up some info on my website. Search here and use google search and you will find lots and lots info you need. Good luck friend. RayA
raya is the best in the best in the biz , period . he kind of invented a true resizer
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

you grab your engine's butt and you pinch it!! Your engine gets really embarrassed and performs better for about 2-3 more gallons then it forgets how embarrassing it was to have its ass pinched and it starts acting funny again, so you pinch its butt again and remind it..it works maybe 2-3 times and then it dies of mortal embarrassment!!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
raya is the best in the best in the biz , period . he kind of invented a true resizer

+1
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

It's what you do to it on St.Patricks day if it's not wearing GREEN !

No really like they said, it prolongs your engine life, just be sure to check your crank pin to make sure it's not worn out. Ray A has a great site for more info, I am sending him mine when it needs it!
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Default alloy reconstruction

Yes, pinching is a term best used discribing what we do with a cute but on st patys day. LoL. Rayraciing methode sleeve resizing is done with a Die designed by myself over 7 yrs back. My tooling Is operated by a small press, the press does not do the job, the die set does.in theroy the sleeve alloys are reconstructed to a smaller state to accomidate piston wear. I personally hold tollerances less than 1 tenth of one thousandth of one inch.
I loved the but pinching comments. Hehee
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
you grab your engine's butt and you pinch it!! Your engine gets really embarrassed and performs better for about 2-3 more gallons then it forgets how embarrassing it was to have its ass pinched and it starts acting funny again, so you pinch its butt again and remind it..it works maybe 2-3 times and then it dies of mortal embarrassment!!
That is great LOL
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to CHogle

look up O.S rocket racing here in Ohio. he is the best around period.

however just think about a conecting rod no matter who you have pinch your engine. if you increase your compression on a weak connecting rod it will fail.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ofna Joe has a good point, if your crank is worn the motor will not last. I get alot of engines to rebuild and the crank is worn realy bad.
Pinching a sleeve really isn't a band aid, if all the internals are good you can get twice the life or more out of the motor.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Rayaracing

I used rayaracing before and have to say that his work is smooth. Easy to work with and you can get the amount of pinch you want whether it's a tight fit or medium which I prefered since that would put less stress on the crank pin and con rod. I think rayaracing still offers his services on ebay and the price is very reasonable.

But before you pinch a motor, like it stated above you gotta check the other internals of the motor first to see if it's worth to rebuild the motor or just go get another.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
If your engine idles and performs ok, you don't want to pinch it. The first one or two gallons of your engines life is spent getting RID of the pinch. Once the seal is matched between piston and sleeve, it should run for a very long time. The number one caindidate for a sleeve pinch is an engine that sucked dirt. In that case, normally the internals are good, but the p/s seal is ruined. Good luck on your decision, but with us, we wear out the bearings and such before the p/s.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Default RayAracing reconditioning-resizing

Good points made Pitpop, although 1 thru 2 gallons seems long to loose engine pinch. 1/2 gallon Is reasonable on new,and a resized half that and the piston + sleeve should be in its sweetspot so to speak.
Espicialy good point with dirt contamination.9 out of 10 sets from my customers require liner + piston surface finish conditions improved to establish good seal. In my experience in most all cases a pinch is not enough. By the amount of work I receive each day/week I see most racers now agree.Just pinching went out with the twist.LOL

RayAracing.