R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help me with racing setup

I used to have a Hyper 7 about 3-4 years ago and took it to the track alittle over 10 times. That was befor i had a job. I am looking to get back into the sport only this time i want to race. Im looking to spend about $1000 on a new setup. I have a few things in mind but ive been out for so long i dont know what has changed. What i want opinions on

-Cars (1/8 scale buggies)
-Servos
-Tires
-Fuel
-controllers
-shocks

and anything else you feel like filling in your input.

Thanks!
Frosty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

On the car along im looking to spend no more than 500
Frosty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Tech Adept

As for 1/8 buggies under $500 there are few good choices: the older Losi 8ight 1.0 although Amain has the newer 2.0 on sale for $500, AE RC8, Hot Bodies D8, Ofna Hyper 9 and lastly the O'Donnell ZO1B. These are all good quality kits, but now you have to make the tough decision on which one you wana run.
Losi-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go to your local track. Find some dudes that look like they know whats up. Find out what cars are popular at that track. That way you can buy parts off other guys and get help when you just cant figure out how to make it do what you want it to do. Then find out where the local hobbie shops are find out what they stock parts for. If you raced at our track and came out with a Hot Bodies d8 you better bring a extra car cause if you break something no body can help you. If you come with a Losi or Associated your covered. Is any one of those cars better than the other? I dont know. But you are going to break lots of stuff and gonna have some part of any car that just wants to come apart no matter what you do. And those are the days you will wish you could go to the guy next to you at the race and ask for help cause hes raced that same car for awhile.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyhomes View Post
Go to your local track. Find some dudes that look like they know whats up. Find out what cars are popular at that track. That way you can buy parts off other guys and get help when you just cant figure out how to make it do what you want it to do. Then find out where the local hobbie shops are find out what they stock parts for. If you raced at our track and came out with a Hot Bodies d8 you better bring a extra car cause if you break something no body can help you. If you come with a Losi or Associated your covered. Is any one of those cars better than the other? I dont know. But you are going to break lots of stuff and gonna have some part of any car that just wants to come apart no matter what you do. And those are the days you will wish you could go to the guy next to you at the race and ask for help cause hes raced that same car for awhile.
There's your best answer right there...What do the other people drive, and what does your LHS stock parts for..If I tell you how many times people need to borrow, or buy a part at the track, or use someone else's starter box, etc..it is a huge plus to be running a bug, or trug that other people drive, and that you can get help with..If you are serious about racing, and you seriously want our advice listen to what we say! You may have your heart set on the new Hyper 9, but if you are the only person at the track that has one, and you cant get parts at your LHS you'll be miserable, and very sorry. I am speaking from experience as I bought a Hyper st pro truggy, and had to sell it because of no part support, and no track support...good luck...have fun
Old 03-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

If you buy a new car will be Cheaper for you.
an example

Type of vehicle.................... HB-D8..... mbx6..... mp9..... losi 8
price of the rc car................ 340.......... 530....... 750 ......500
eng o.s 21........................... 299 ..........299 .......299......299
2 Servos Futaba S9350........... 220.......... 220 .......220......220
4 Tires Pro-Line Revolver M2 ....36 ...........36........ 36 .......36
Total................................... 895$..........1085$.... 1305$...1055$
Thamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
There's your best answer right there...What do the other people drive, and what does your LHS stock parts for..If I tell you how many times people need to borrow, or buy a part at the track, or use someone else's starter box, etc..it is a huge plus to be running a bug, or trug that other people drive, and that you can get help with..If you are serious about racing, and you seriously want our advice listen to what we say! You may have your heart set on the new Hyper 9, but if you are the only person at the track that has one, and you cant get parts at your LHS you'll be miserable, and very sorry. I am speaking from experience as I bought a Hyper st pro truggy, and had to sell it because of no part support, and no track support...good luck...have fun