Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Sportwerks .26 v2 running HOT but blowing lots of smoke >

Sportwerks .26 v2 running HOT but blowing lots of smoke

Sportwerks .26 v2 running HOT but blowing lots of smoke

Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Sportwerks .26 v2 running HOT but blowing lots of smoke

I have a sportwerks .26 v2 that i can not get tuned...the manual says that the HSN should be 3 1/2 turns out and the low speed 2 turns out. This is the settings they suggest for break in..this motor has already been broken in..i can not get the idle down and if i run a cpl of full throttle passes back and forth in my yard then check the temp it approaches 280... I am seeing blue smoke but seem to be struggling to get this thing to tune and run cool...any suggestions? possible air leak? im going to seal it tonight...anyone have one of these motors that can check their needle settings for me...the manuals low speed settings seem to be lean to me..
thanks
Chad
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

After checking for air leaks, drag in your drive line, over gearing, too light clutch springs follow this tuning procedure step by step in this order and you should be fine. A motor will build much more heat from a lean low end than from a lean top end which I think you already diagnosed correctly.
1. Set Top and Low needles to be rich
2. Bring engine up to temp (at least 190F)
3. Make high speed passes and lean the Top end until it is getting on the pipe well and you can see a faint smoke trail. You'll know it's too lean if it falls off after reaching peak RPM.
4. After making a high speed pass bring the car to an immediate stop in front of you and wait 10 seconds. Nail the throttle. The car should take off with a puff of smoke and no hesitation. Once it will do that pinch the fuel line 1" from the carb. The engine should rev up and die between 3-5 seconds. Less than 3 = too lean. More than 5 = too rich
5. Set idle high enough that the engine won't die, but low enough so that it doesn't try to engage the clutch.
Check that your linkage isn't preventing you from lowering your idle. You may have to move the collar on the back side so that the carb will close. I don't get real concerned about temps. If the motor will run for 3 tanks in a row without losing power or flaming out then typically you're fine. Some motors like to run cold i.e. 200F range(GRP, Ninja). Some like to run hot i.e. 280F+ range (RB). While I think temp guns are good while you're still learning how to tune I also think they're something that a person should ween themselves off of as they mature in their tuning abilities. Definitely don't fall into the competition of "how low can I get my engine temps". You'll wear your motors out really fast that way. Begin to see with your eyes, hear with your ears, and feel with your finger what the tune of the engine is. Here's my corny philosophy on engine tuning: All engines speak the same language, but most of them speak different dialects. Once you learn to speak the language you will understand what they want. Once you learn to speak each dialect you will have mastered the art of engine tuning. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Joey Powell; 03-16-2009 at 05:39 PM.