R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

well said Lightin'....im not all political like that...i guess its my rough side.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
You must be overthinking things, but nobody that I've heard of re-balances tires between heats. Once they're done they're done, unless you're trying to balance them dirty. Try cleaning them.

New tires are always going to outperform used tires, balanced or not.

The guys that hit upon the idea of balancing are World Champs, and I seriously doubt they do it just to waste their time.

One thing I've always noticed is that there is not only a huge difference in driving expertise between the upper level drivers and the club level drivers, but also that there is a huge difference in car building and maintenance and fine-tuning between the two. Reason being the pros know, and the lower level guys can't see the difference because they don't know. Doesn't make you wrong, just means your level of expertise isn't there to see or know the difference.
maybe i should have explained it a little better for you since you think my level of driving is sub par, or not enough to tell the difference.

I tried both, on a new set of tires, i would clean them off, but since the rims are made of plastic, they go out of round after a 5 minute heat, whch causes the tire to go out of balance. I did balance my tires after i cleaned them of course, and they went out of balance....i found myself re-balancing the tires.

I also should have stated we have world class drivers (people that have won the worlds, or at the very least competed in), drivers that do race with us on a weekend basis, that do not balance their tires...maybe i should have explained that as well.

I didnt mean to come on here and cause a debate on who is right or wrong, so my apologies guys, i will leave it as is. didnt know i was insulting anybodies point of views. Seems like it is a touchy subject, maybe next time i will just keep my opinions to myself, as it didnt seem to come out right.

Maybe if i was competing at the worlds and i needed a record breaking heat, then maybe i would take the time to balance each tire and so on...but for series races or events and club races...i havent found the need as of yet. But thats just my own personal preference, if it be from poor driving or not.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round

Last edited by Jesse; 03-23-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Tech Addict

:/
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #34
Tech Addict

You might want to balance your tires if:

1. You place your ride on the pit wall to walk up the drivers stand and somebody has to hold it when you blip the throttle for fear its going to fall off.

2. You blip the throttle while its setting on your starter box and everybody runs cause they think its coming off.

3. You bitch because them dang wheels just keep falling off during a heat race.

4. Wheel bearing go out on a regular basis.

5. CVD's do the same thing.

6. Etc.

When I balance tires I don't go for a "Perfect" balance. It does not have to be perfect to be smooth. I use modeling clay, cheap, available at wallyworld (4 large sticks for $2) and it stays put. I don't care if my clay is on the centerline, it never is, I try to mold it around a rib if possible. My rims don't go out of round after 1 run. My tires normally stay glued to the rims (about 99% of the time, or better). I do clean my tires on a regular basis and normally would not think of checking the balance of a dirty tire. I can say this tho, run balanced on one side and badly out of balanced on the other on a track that cakes up the tires. Pull it right off the track and check the balance. The balanced tires will be better.

AKA premounts are the best balanced tires I have found. At least 50% need nothing and the others need just a pinch, but that is only based on 6 sets.

Just some random thoughts about tire balance.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #35
Tech Adept

"Balance your tires!" ---> Richard "The King" Saxton, RC Car Action Drivers Tips

Can't argue with the King, and you can't argue with physics. Off balance tires will want to hop especially on the gas. Balances tires= More traction. I'm not that experienced and I noticed my car was more stable and easier to handle under power coming out of the turns. No one can say it doesn't make a difference when I bet you all a have seen those off balance tires shake violently on throttle sitting on the starter box. All that the forces causing the oscillation don't stop once you place the car on the ground. No one can say that doesn't make a difference. Don't even know why there would be any question about it.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
:/

FYI editing out the post means JACK when your subscribed to the thread.....i still see what you post.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #37
Tech Addict

LOL thats good, im glad you can see it
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Balancing tires is a waste of time.

Two reasons why;

1 You are adding weight in the worst possible place = rotating mass

2 Once you pull the trigger your tires are out of balance again.

So the solution is to start out with the best balanced/ most consistant package out there.

Right now that is AKA

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

Two reasons why;

So the solution is to start out with the best balanced/ most consistant package out there.

Right now that is AKA
+10000 AKA rims/tires are awesome
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #40
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

Two reasons why;

Right now that is AKA

aka's still require balancing. like it or not...they do.

why are the tires out of balance the second you pull the trigger ?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

a balanced tire makes a huge difference on a corredtly setup ride. i can race with a setup car with no blanced then go to a balanced tire and feel the difference, but i can run a non setup car with balanced tires and not be able to tell the difference between a balanced and non balanced just because of the setup. i setup all my stuff in my car for perfection and i can tell the difference between my friends car that is same as mine and my ride cause of its set-up but it also matters how much your racing is. if your a club racer and race every other week and just having fun with it i say dont waste your time balancing, but if you plan on trying to make it big and race hard and win than ya you might want to get best performance out of your ride. it just matters how much money you want to spend and how far you want to take this sport??
Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
aka's still require balancing. like it or not...they do.

why are the tires out of balance the second you pull the trigger ?

It's so miniscule you won't/can't/don't feel it.

The foam shifts in the tire.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote