R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow! if 50mm is 1 gram, then I bet I need about 3-5 gras to balance my proline bowties and crimefighters. Before you say anyhting Integra, I get these 1 run old tires at the track for $10 (set of 4) so for $20 I have 2 complete sets of tires. Do you balance the way jrwoodchuck does? If not, please explain your method and say if a tire was a couple grams out of balance, would you spread the lead tape throughout the 1/4 side of the tire, ir just layer the tape in 1 area?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

necessary ? yes
big improvement ? yes
you will notice the difference

crayola modeling clay

and aka rims and tires are the best . almost dont even need to balance the truck rims
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Its not just for the improved consistant handling,
Besides that you will notice many other parts don't wear out as fast. Balance a set and your bearings will thank you.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
Tech Addict

i use to take the time to balance my tires...now i think its a waste of time.

After about 4 laps or so, your tires go out of balance, if it be dirt, rim going out of round and so on...all i ended up getting all the time was more weight on my wheels. but man i did feel a difference for the first couple of laps, smooth. But after some time, they felt worst in comparison to when i ran no balance tires.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

the dirt comment is a poor excuse to not balance your wheel's.....Chris__RC...if you have a real heavy side on a partcular wheel you would want to spread the weight out almost as much as possible...due to the fact if you cram a bunch of weight in that 1 area thats light you will now have 2 heavy sides that will want to play with eachother when doing the actual balance act.....the 50mm is just a refference for how much it weighs....for buggy a 1.5g piece is usually what ill start out with...truggy 3g.

Aka's

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't know how you get that lead tape to stay.... I tried it and it SEEMED like every time I took off my tires to clean them at least one had some tape coming loose or about ready to. I cleaned the area real well with alcohol and everything. It just seems to get whacked and dirt settles in and it starts coming loose. That and the constant flexing of the wheel allows dirt under the tape.

I went back to non hardening model clay and have never had to even bother looking at them... I guess that's why you write the weight you added to the inside of the rim, so you can replace lost strips of lead tape?
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My expierience is that Truggy tires must be balanced..If you race and dont balance trug tires you are doomed..I dont feel it as needed with bug but it dont hurt
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
I don't know how you get that lead tape to stay.... I tried it and it SEEMED like every time I took off my tires to clean them at least one had some tape coming loose or about ready to. I cleaned the area real well with alcohol and everything. It just seems to get whacked and dirt settles in and it starts coming loose. That and the constant flexing of the wheel allows dirt under the tape.

I went back to non hardening model clay and have never had to even bother looking at them... I guess that's why you write the weight you added to the inside of the rim, so you can replace lost strips of lead tape?

Ive never had a piece let go....i clean the surface with Simple Green and a clean cloth and apply....the reason to write the #'s is for the sheer fact i can....when i cut the strips to apply they are all the same so its a matter of counting how many and jotting it down....the tape i got has real sticky glue on it....i dont use the knock off Racer's Edge stuff either....mine is from a wholesale golf supply shop...so maybe thats the difference.

Using putty on 1/2 off wheels is IMO wrong...you are adding weight offset to the center line...despite the fact it works....i believe its wrong.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

hey Integra, i see some fishy looking residue on that digi...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
hey Integra, i see some fishy looking residue on that digi...

oh SNAP..........ya i tried to clean it....but wasn't gonna go press on it soo hard it might fubar something....so w/e....let inquisitive minds wonder.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

thanks for all the tips on wheel balancing i got a hudy balancing station
from a main hobbies + lead tape have done one set of weels it was
real easy and fast will do the rest soon
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

hear is the hudy stand #hud105500 + hud105510
Attached Thumbnails
balancing off road tiers is it worth it-100_0742.jpg  
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #28
Tech Addict

I dnt know, i dont think its a poor excuse, just a fact. I would run a heat, then balance my tires after the fact and they were off balance and more heavier. I checked my lap times with and without in a 5 minute heat, and my times were the same. I noticed a bigger difference from running new tires over a set of balanced used tires...and my times were faster running newer tires over a used set of balanced tires.

Just something i noticed on my own. I also have seen some real fast times on the track, who also didnt have balanced tires. They are plastic rims that bend, its not like scale tires that are balanced on aluminum rims...

but if you have the time to balance your tires between runs, thats awesome, i just dont have the time, i am usually charging batteires or going over my setup, or just changing out my tires for a newer set.

Thats just my personal preference...but those balanced tires do seem dialed in the pics.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I dnt know, i dont think its a poor excuse, just a fact. I would run a heat, then balance my tires after the fact and they were off balance and more heavier. I checked my lap times with and without in a 5 minute heat, and my times were the same. I noticed a bigger difference from running new tires over a set of balanced used tires...and my times were faster running newer tires over a used set of balanced tires.

Just something i noticed on my own. I also have seen some real fast times on the track, who also didnt have balanced tires. They are plastic rims that bend, its not like scale tires that are balanced on aluminum rims...

but if you have the time to balance your tires between runs, thats awesome, i just dont have the time, i am usually charging batteires or going over my setup, or just changing out my tires for a newer set.

Thats just my personal preference...but those balanced tires do seem dialed in the pics.

balanced wheels make everything last longer....wheel bearings, CVD's, arms, everything that is suspension related that is now not violently shaking when you give it gas...if your wheels change weight during a quali you didnt spin them up and seat the foam prior to balancing....my tires are all perfect after a whole day of racing....so i dont know what your issue is....they are also Dialed on the starter box...with ZERO shaking.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #30
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post

You must be overthinking things, but nobody that I've heard of re-balances tires between heats. Once they're done they're done, unless you're trying to balance them dirty. Try cleaning them.

New tires are always going to outperform used tires, balanced or not.

The guys that hit upon the idea of balancing are World Champs, and I seriously doubt they do it just to waste their time.

One thing I've always noticed is that there is not only a huge difference in driving expertise between the upper level drivers and the club level drivers, but also that there is a huge difference in car building and maintenance and fine-tuning between the two. Reason being the pros know, and the lower level guys can't see the difference because they don't know. Doesn't make you wrong, just means your level of expertise isn't there to see or know the difference.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote