R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default rtr hyper 7 tq or hyper 8.5 or LRP rtr orJammin X1 CR RTR

i am new to this hobby. I am getting into it purely to race but want to learn to drive and tune etc before i start racing. After much research I have decided to go rtr. basically because of the price but also because of an experience i had when living in Japan. I bought a EP onroad 1/10 racing kit back then (late nineties) and to be honest was just frustrated with it because i couldnt work it out and i was slow and wasnt having fun.

Things have changed these days, I am back in OZ and therefore have no language barriers and there is a lot of info online these days (just like this forum).

The buggies mentioned in the title are all supported locally and are affordable at around the same price.

I would like some feedback from people experienced with these particular rtrs, to help me make a choice. Please bear in mind that i have NO nitro experiece at all but am determined to give racing a thorough crack.
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Cool I had a hypter 7

When I took it to the track and something happened nobody had parts to it. That is when I just started out. Now I have losi LST2, 8T and 8 buggy. The hyper 7 engine sucked and was kind of hard to tune. Me and my friend started out with that alarm. Now we have losi. If I could do it over I would have brought a used one off of ebay. With a decent radio system and engine with servo's you will be fine. Since the hyper 7 engine suck you will be able to pick your own engine of preference. The only reason i say this cause it will save you money down the road when things break on it. I blew my hyper .21 in like 5 months on a hot day. It just gave out in the middle of a race. If you do decide to go RTR I would get Losi 8. The engine is alot better and you can upgrade later if you want.
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Pick the one you like the best! It dont really matter which one because until you learn to drive and tune you are going to break it, and kill the engine, so pick what you want and have fun!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesd1980 View Post
If you do decide to go RTR I would get Losi 8. The engine is alot better and you can upgrade later if you want.
The 8ight RTR is discontinued, it's getting really hard to find them online and in stores. If you do manage to find one they aren't cheap anymore they've shot way back up to MSRP. Also even though it comes with an excellent radio the included servos are junk so right off the bat you'll need a 100 dollar steering servo. The shock caps and shock towers are junk you will almost certainly break a cap or bend a tower on your first outing.

I own an 8ight buggy (converted to race roller from RTR) and truggy (race roller) I recently purchased a Hyper 7 TQ for bashing around with my friends. It's very well built and tough as nails. I beat the snot out of that thing and never need to worry about it. I did have to upgrade the servos but that was the only upgrade it needed. The cost of the RTR Hyper 7 is so cheap that it was easily justified.

I almost went with a hyper 8.5, but the extra cost was hard to justify.
Linkdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My brother and I both have 8.5's. I have the 8.5 pro and he has the RTR version that was available in europe with the hyper .21 3p race engine. They both are bullet proof. I bought some extra parts but have not needed anything yet. The front cast steering nuckles are weak and should be replaced with the billet ones from the pro. I am a newbie driver and still run somewhat competetively in local races against losi 2.0 and z-car ect.. The newer buggies are for sure quicker but the 8.5 is a great way to get started.

My brother is thinking of selling his RTR 8.5 incase you are interested. Send me a PM if you want more info.
rsr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i had a Hyper 7 pro, that was un-breakable, the best thing ive ever bought, then i bought a hyper 8.5 RTR chassis thinking it would be a good upgrade, no way, i had nothing but trouble with that thing, i ended up going back to the 7,