R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #61
Tech Adept

I have to agree that it really isn't powersavers fault. I do think it would be a good idea for the manufacturer to put "outer filter only" on the package or something like that to avoid confusion. Hopefully the engine is still okay but you really won't know till you try it.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #62
Tech Master

Don't use the pro line filter. Racers in my area have lost motors due to the filter sucking in dirt.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #63
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
If this engine's a loss I'll probably just end up ordering an MM5 from massive mods, I've already got the 086 pipe and a vspec carb, and for 210 shipped you can't beat the price.

I still have an) C6 too
Hey Michael

once you clean and re oil your engine there is a way to tell if its stuffed or not.

what you do is put a few drops of rebuild oil in the glow hole then replace the plug. swish the oil round to coat the top of the piston 9 to create comp seal ). put the exhaust port into your ear and gently turn it up to TDC ( with flywheel on ).. you should hear what sounds like gas escaping ... this gas should stop when you hit BTDC or TDC , and should hold pressure in the squish band. if when at TDC it holds pressure for longer than say 10 seconds your engine is pretty much ok. If you hear it still escaping at TDC then its getting blow by. Thats not good.

The engine when doing this should feel like there is a piece of rubber between the piston and head button almost forcing back ... if you get no resistance then you are in the land of rebuild.

Another way to tell is to only hold the flywheel and let the engine rest on its own weight with only the pressure in the cylinder stopping it .. if the engine stays there for longer than 6 seconds the engine is ok , if it flops over under its own weight fairly quickly then its on its way out.

hope this helps !

Cheers MM

www.massivemods.com.au
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doesn't seem like anyone is actually at fault, but that sucks hard, man.

In this hobby, it is easy to make expensive mistakes.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
Doesn't seem like anyone is actually at fault, but that sucks hard, man.

In this hobby, it is easy to make expensive mistakes.
Yep, I have crashed helicopters due to simple mistakes like forgetting to loctite a screw. Some of those mistakes cost me a lot.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #66

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

dont need all that motor for NRC... good luck.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #67
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a little FYI from my own experience, if your not going to replace the bearings then you should see if the wifey has a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.Those lil suckers will get alot more of the fine dirt particles out that just a regular flushing wont get out.Just use some fuel as the liquid for cleaning, wouldnt be a bad idea to do the carb also.

Hope this helps ya out
Sholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #68
Tech Rookie

Hello,

these is support from Power-Save-Racing, Germany.
We got mail from mfrosty regarding the probs with his air filter.

What can we say ?

1. As leader for filter technology in the world we never saw pictures like
this.
2. We never saw those big mistakes making by this user.
3. We are shocked about this procedure.

What was the problem?

You use the outer foam element instead of the inner foam element.
And like Trevor Williams, rc-mike, fatdaddy and others posted is has to be
clear that with reading the manual or with a little brainstorming it never never
would happend that you make these mistake.

Special thank to Trevor Williams. His serious post and objectivity was good
to read.

BTW.
We will come in contact with mfrosty and we will ship some correct filters
to him.

Best regards, and keep on racing
P-S-R
P-S-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-S-R View Post
Hello,

these is support from Power-Save-Racing, Germany.
We got mail from mfrosty regarding the probs with his air filter.

What can we say ?

1. As leader for filter technology in the world we never saw pictures like
this.
2. We never saw those big mistakes making by this user.
3. We are shocked about this procedure.

What was the problem?

You use the outer foam element instead of the inner foam element.
And like Trevor Williams, rc-mike, fatdaddy and others posted is has to be
clear that with reading the manual or with a little brainstorming it never never
would happend that you make these mistake.

Special thank to Trevor Williams. His serious post and objectivity was good
to read.

BTW.
We will come in contact with mfrosty and we will ship some correct filters
to him.

Best regards, and keep on racing
P-S-R
While I appreciate your quick response, and I do admit some responsibility for the mistake made with the filter installation, it was the lack of properly labeled product with NO instructions that caused me to make this mistake and ruin my $300 modded engine. I would expect you to at least cover the cost of me having the engine pinched and bearings and con rod replaced (I've inquired and it will cost me $75). I was just recently laid off due to the poor economic situation over here in the states so I CANNOT afford to buy a new engine, which means I will be unable to race this coming season.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do I see a yard sale soon? Heck, the grass isn't growing, sell the mower. Yea,it's pure hell what your going thru......
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #71

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

idk bout every1 else, but when i'm outta work, i cant afford the hobby period.

now that i follow what is going on, u need to man up and admit your mistake and the cost incurred. real problem for folks these days, no1 is ever at fault-it must be some1 else.

r
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #72
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
idk bout every1 else, but when i'm outta work, i cant afford the hobby period.

now that i follow what is going on, u need to man up and admit your mistake and the cost incurred. real problem for folks these days, no1 is ever at fault-it must be some1 else.

r
Yes I made a novice mistake and I DID admit that, but it was because of no label as to what filter they were and no instruction either in the packaging or on their website that caused me to make this mistake. Like I said before, the manufacture has to take responsibility if their incorrect or missing instructions cause damage to your property, it's upheld in the court system every day. Now am I demanding that they buy me a new engine...........no I'm not (although it sure would be nice ) I think it's more than fair to ask them to cover the cost of at least trying to repair the engine. If not I'm just going to sell everything and move on, because I can't sit here and watch the $ I've invested in getting my daughter and I into this hobby just sitting collecting dust.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 AM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
While I appreciate your quick response, and I do admit some responsibility for the mistake made with the filter installation, it was the lack of properly labeled product with NO instructions that caused me to make this mistake and ruin my $300 modded engine. I would expect you to at least cover the cost of me having the engine pinched and bearings and con rod replaced (I've inquired and it will cost me $75). I was just recently laid off due to the poor economic situation over here in the states so I CANNOT afford to buy a new engine, which means I will be unable to race this coming season.
on the last page you just said you were going to get a MM5 from massivemods, and you still have a C6. stop trying to get free shit. be happy they are willing to send you new filter sets.
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes I made a novice mistake and I DID admit that, but it was because of no label as to what filter they were and no instruction either in the packaging or on their website that caused me to make this mistake. Like I said before, the manufacture has to take responsibility if their incorrect or missing instructions cause damage to your property, it's upheld in the court system every day. Now am I demanding that they buy me a new engine...........no I'm not (although it sure would be nice ) I think it's more than fair to ask them to cover the cost of at least trying to repair the engine. If not I'm just going to sell everything and move on, because I can't sit here and watch the $ I've invested in getting my daughter and I into this hobby just sitting collecting dust.
ill give you $500 for everything
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
on the last page you just said you were going to get a MM5 from massivemods, and you still have a C6. stop trying to get free shit. be happy they are willing to send you new filter sets.
Looking at my financials I won't be able to order any engine, and the C6 is in my daughters cars, so if I take that then she won't be able to run. I'm not trying to get free shit, just trying to get my damn engine fixed.

And what the hell am I supposed to put the filter set on? A blown engine, my new $300 paper weight?