R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Ok, so you go into an LHS looking for a filter. You grab the one labeled for your car off the peg board

No instructions or ANY type of documentation

By all appearences it looks to be both an inner and outer filter set, and there's nothing on the packaging or in the packaging to say any different,

again tell me how that's MY fault?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
Ok, so you go into an LHS looking for a filter. You grab the one labeled for your car

[IG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/FrostyOne1977/GoTech020.jpg[/IMG]

No instructions or ANY type of documentation

By all appearences it looks to be both an inner and outer filter set, and there's nothing on the packaging or in the packaging to say any different,

again tell me how that's MY fault?
because the "inner" filter you think you see there looks nothing like the stock one. its not wide enough, no holes.......*lightbulb*
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #48
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

wow man, this is like apples to oranges......man, to sum it up...........you used outers for inners, the size is NOWHERE near correct, you should have known, its just that simple.........got yourself a nice modded paperweight now
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #49
Tech Addict

This thread, will keep going on and on and on.. till it gets closed.. people have told you what there views, are that.. the majority say its your fault. Some common sense should have crossed, your mind before you used.. it.. and now ruined-Possibley a New Engine... Take your due and move on.. you only learn from your mistakes...
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
because the "inner" filter you think you see there looks nothing like the stock one. its not wide enough, no holes.......*lightbulb*
Keep in mind I'm also fairly new to nitro, so I'm supposed to know this? Now yes, it did not fit correctly, I went out to their website to look for info but found none, I cut the needed holes and streched it to fit the inside, then installed it.

So..............
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #51
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Quote:
Keep in mind I'm also fairly new to nitro, so I'm supposed to know this? Now yes, it did not fit correctly, I went out to their website to look for info but found none, I cut the needed holes and streched it to fit the inside, then installed it.

So..............
So am I bro, that's whay I ask questions when something does'nt look/feel right to me, and I CONSTANTLY reference the manual for my rc8, that's what it's for. Good luck in getting the problem resolved and getting back to burning nitro
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:

So..............
im sorry. it really sucks. i just fried 3 servos in the last week because of stupid things that i did that was directly my fault. what im saying is, accidents happen but you need to suck it up and get on with it.

like i said before. give them a call, play dumb, and see what happens
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
im sorry. it really sucks. i just fried 3 servos in the last week because of stupid things that i did that was directly my fault. what im saying is, accidents happen but you need to suck it up and get on with it.

like i said before. give them a call, play dumb, and see what happens
LOL, I don't have to "play" dumb in this instance, it was stupid of me to try to make it work, it obviously didn't. But that still doesn't change the fact that the Manufacture needs to step up and take at least some responsibility for poorly or un doucmented instructions that cause damage to your personal property Not everyone buying their stuff is an expert on all things nitro.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry to see you had some growing pains with nitro. Stick with it don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to ask questions. I would also recommend getting a sport engine (nova bf, os vg etc.) if you are new to nitro. Many people get discouraged with nitro when they have a air filter or tuning problem and ruin a $300.00 + motor. The sport engines are generally easy to tune, have plenty of power and you can get a new one for under 200.00.
I'm not sure what kind of oil you are using but it didn't look that great from the pictures. I would recommend using Bel Ray foam filter oil. You can buy a quart of it at a motorcycle shop and it will last you forever. The Bel Ray oil is very sticky and works great. I once used a spray oil and found out that dirt was getting past my filter(lesson learned). I know that you had additional problems but I thought I'd pass that along.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #55
Tech Adept

what type of filter is that? power saver.. is that the first time you have put a filter on the car.. my bet is that if you call the manfuacture of the filter they will tell you to look at the manual for the air cleaning element on the vehicle but if you call AE they would most likley reccomend to use the stock AE element. your in a catch 22.
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #56
Tech Master

Ok, i will start off by saying i have no issues with PS or AE air filter system's, but for simple and easy to use systems i use the losi air filter and carb neck boot on my RC8T, i run them for 3 heat's and replace for the main.

Also, well ioled is good but the extra need's to be squeezed out, this is why there is so much build up inside the neck of the air filter, during running, vibration, and landing's will jar the iol out and into the neck wall's and craete a tacky surface for anything to adheir to.

As for the motor, it has to of had dirt pulled into it at some point if comp is lost, this is only going to lead to faster failer, the dirt may not be visible, but it has more than likley inbedded itself into the alum piston, scratches mnay not be seen, but 1300 grit sandpaper doesn't leave scratches either, it simply polishes, and will keep getting worse.

if you are going to keep running it after the pionch is done, at the same time you send the sleeve of for pinching, send the block over to us so i can put in new bearing's, i have hundred's of stock steel bearing's from GO engine's in the past, this will help eliminate and failer's down the road, and also you need to check the rod as well, if there is alot of visible movement, katistrophic doom is near.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #57
Tech Fanatic

If this engine's a loss I'll probably just end up ordering an MM5 from massive mods, I've already got the 086 pipe and a vspec carb, and for 210 shipped you can't beat the price.

I still have an) C6 too
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

the power save rc8 filters were my favorite when i ran the rc8, i also used them on my jammin and mugen when i had those, if i could fit them on the losi 8ight i would have put them on there as well, u just made a mistake, its a bummer but just buy a new engine and learn from it,we have all done something wrong when we were first getting into the hobby from inexperience, its part of the learning curve, im betting that you wont make that mistake again, most likely from here on out you will have the cleanest air filter at the race track
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its too bad that happened. I can understand your frustration and agree the filters were not labeled very well.

I ordered those before by mistake. Actually not my mistake as they were incorrectly described on the website but I suspected that because the price was cheaper than I had seen elsewhere.

Now I buy 2 sets of those for every set of the inner and swap the outers which gives me some more runtime on the inner before needing to be replaced. The Power Save filters are the best Ive used. When you have it set correctly they really do fit extremely well and the foam is nice and dense. I would still seriously consider using them.

I hope your engine is still runable and that you can find a new job. I see you live near Baltimore. I hope to make it up to some races at Nuclear which isnt too far away from there. I live in Bowie and have been doing nitro for some time if you need help with anything send me an email ptpracing@gmail.com
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Its too bad that happened. I can understand your frustration and agree the filters were not labeled very well.

I ordered those before by mistake. Actually not my mistake as they were incorrectly described on the website but I suspected that because the price was cheaper than I had seen elsewhere.

Now I buy 2 sets of those for every set of the inner and swap the outers which gives me some more runtime on the inner before needing to be replaced. The Power Save filters are the best Ive used. When you have it set correctly they really do fit extremely well and the foam is nice and dense. I would still seriously consider using them.

I hope your engine is still runable and that you can find a new job. I see you live near Baltimore. I hope to make it up to some races at Nuclear which isnt too far away from there. I live in Bowie and have been doing nitro for some time if you need help with anything send me an email ptpracing@gmail.com
i know what you are talking about with the website giving the wrong info, i almost made the same mistake when i ordered mine, it was way cheaper, but i checked the part numbers between the 2 sites that were selling them and figured it out
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote