R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/282227-whats-better-fm-2-4ghz-radios-what-best-radio.html)

TIX 03-12-2009 12:50 AM

Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio?

Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios?

I see alot of the pros run FM radios not 2.4GHz. is there a reason other that they are sponcored.

If FM is better than 2.4GHz then what is the best FM Radio on the market?

losi_racer 03-12-2009 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TIX (Post 5542092)
Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios?

I see alot of the pros run FM radios not 2.4GHz. is there a reason other that they are sponcored.

If FM is better than 2.4GHz then what is the best FM Radio on the market?

i see a lot of pros using fm radios BUT with 2.4 modules

outLaW^ 03-12-2009 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by losi_racer (Post 5542136)
i see a lot of pros using fm radios BUT with 2.4 modules

i dnt think so coz their tx/rx antennas were much longer, hence, not 2.4s

losi_racer 03-12-2009 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by outLaW^ (Post 5542190)
i dnt think so coz their tx/rx antennas were much longer, hence, not 2.4s

your right, i just must be seeing a spektrum sticker, on the spektrum module in the fm radio, your TOTALLY right. my bad. i had so many pros around me at the nitro challenge i must of just seen things

ShagNastyEk9 03-12-2009 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by losi_racer (Post 5542208)
your right, i just must be seeing a spektrum sticker, on the spektrum module in the fm radio, your TOTALLY right. my bad. i had so many pros around me at the nitro challenge i must of just seen things

you might have seen some running spektrum modules, but I also have seen a whole lot of pros running FM radios still with FM Modules. I have heard that they say they are just better than a 2.4ghz system, but I think alot of it has to do with reaction differences between the 2 systems. Most of the Pros today have been using non spektrum systems for a long long time, and making the switch would cause the need to adjust driving some. The FM system works fine for them, why change? I made the switch to spektrum, I had to learn to drive a bit different, but it is all preference mainly!!

markr04 03-12-2009 05:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ads By Google shown in this thread couldn't be more appropriate. It's a conspiracy!

I took a screenshot. Click the image.

pantera nitro 03-12-2009 04:42 PM

i have been tossing up between the DX3R and 3PKSS (fm system) as they are both similar in price over here.

i heard the 3PKSS is faster than a 2.4 system when using digital servo's.

i like the way they both feel so its a little hard to choose cos i can't find a definative reason for making a final choice.

Mike

SPEEDSKI 03-12-2009 05:55 PM

I just can not see there being a difference, Hara won with a FASST Futaba system at the worlds and he also runs SPEK when he drives on-road. I maybe wrong, it would take some data to convince me their is a difference.

I also fly RC Helis, the World champs are doing INCREDIBLE things and it is my belief their reaction times are just as fast as needed for cars, maybe more.

Just my .02

watch this if you dont believe me. this dude is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTp7O...eature=related

markr04 03-12-2009 06:08 PM

A person can't hear or see a difference in 11 ms latency, much less react to it. Some people are hesitant to move into new technology. If they're happy with FM, fine by me.

rc-mike 03-12-2009 06:16 PM

Yeah, in helicopters 2.4 is the king now. I went to IRCHA in 2007 and everyone was buying up the 2.4 modules so they wouldn't have to impound their TX. It is nice to just turn on the TX and RX and not have to worry about if anyone is on your channel. You also get rid of that ridiculously long antenna.

RETRO RC 03-12-2009 06:23 PM

A lot of the Pros run fm due to the interferance that can occur on 2.4hz.

And before you say it yes you can get interferance on 2.4 as there are so many things that now run in the 2.4 range Ie bluetooth, cordless phones ,some mobile phone networks etc, and large metal strutures like shipping containers and steel portals can also interfere

At the worlds last year alot of guys where having interferance problems on 2.4 and it turned out to be a cordless phone causing it:weird:

skeller 03-12-2009 06:31 PM

I had a case of the phantom 2.4 interference this past weekend. I had total control over my buggy....but when I set my radio down it started acting on it's own....both servos....like it was on the track racing. :eek: :weird:

Racecrafter 03-12-2009 10:05 PM

KO Propo 2.4Ghz is your best bet.

No run aways, no glitching, no bluetooth or cordless phone problems. :)

TIX 03-12-2009 10:22 PM

i have been getting a lot of interferance on my 2.4 of late and thats why i have raised this question. I run the nomadio react which is the fastest on the market but thats of no use to me when my breaks dont work and i overshoot a corner or cant drop the nose over a jump.

So I want to get an FM radio but i dont know who makes the best one

fatdaddy 03-12-2009 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by markr04 (Post 5545225)
A person can't hear or see a difference in 11 ms latency, much less react to it. Some people are hesitant to move into new technology. If they're happy with FM, fine by me.

thats kinda what i was thinking too.