R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #46
Tech Initiate

Default Which Radio?

It doesn't matter two cents what brand you choose! Since the 2.4 inception racers have flocked to them, which leaves gaping holes in the frequency board for other racers.
Yep, the old stand by crystal radio is getting more use now adays.
However the 2.4 is a lot more forgiving when it comes to interference from motors, vibration and white noise.

Before I would plunk down any money for a new radio look around to see what the other racers are using, ask questions. Now you can go to the internet and download radio manuals. This is a excellent way of compairing radios and programming.

If you already have a preference to a manufactured brand then all you need to know is how far to go while purchasing a new radio. No matter what brand, READ your manual to maximize your purchase! There is nothing in the world like having the newest technology at hand and not being able to apply or use it.

As for feeling "Connected to your car By radio" I never had that feeling. However knowing what a car will do in a given circumstance and knowing what radio input is needed to correct that action comes with length of use.

As far as "Futaba being over rated or over hyped" it's not!
Futaba put out a good transmitter just like Spektrum or Air Tronics. When these three are looked at there are three questions you should ask.

(1) How does it feel in my hand.
(2) How does this transmitter relate to my kind of racing
(3) How does this system rate in ease of programming and
redirection of any digitals?

These three manufacturted systems will all control you car in the same manner but which one will make you happy?
There are other systems out there but these three industry leaders were used to simplfy my typing.
Red Farmer & Neil Bonnett
MIke Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #47
Tech Adept

I don't know much about car radios or even cars for that matter since I am just getting started in them. I do know about helicopters and planes and can tell just by the sound if an engine is running lean or not. I mainly bought the DX3S since it has the on board telemetry so I'll know if I am running my engine too hot instantly. ALL of these high revving car engines sound to me like they are running lean and about to let go. I have been impressed by them trying different things like the telemetry and the helicopter receiver that had a built in throttle governor and voltage regulator so you can run on a 2S lipo and not fry your gyro.

I'm not saying this is the right radio for you but that is the reason I picked it. I used to be a die hard Futaba fan until I tried a Spektrum module in my 9C. One of the reasons I did that is because they don't impound your transmitter if you are on 2.4 at many fly ins. I also haven't had a glitch since.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #48
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

From what I have noticed so far seems like the 2.4Ghz is more dependent on a well charged up and fresh battery packs, and seems to perform better in those conditions, yet the FM based technology is less hungry on the packs.

I have yet to prove me theory when I get round to testing this, but thats just my observation so far.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

The "best" radio is one that is comfortable in your hand for long periods of time that feels right to YOU. Decide upon a technology (AM, FM, DSM, DSM2, etc) and then go to your LHS and pick up various ones. Ask if they can put a set of batteries in so you can feel the full weight of it. Some people like a super light radio while others like it heavy. Some a quick light wheel tension, others not so much. To many personal variables in the mix. Get what you like holding for those long mains
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
KO Propo 2.4Ghz is your best bet.

No run aways, no glitching, no bluetooth or cordless phone problems.

Totally agree. The best system around - most comfortable radio and fast, smooth, problem-free 2.4 system.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is my spin, Had a 2.0,3.0, (1 Year) M8 (1 Year)3PK(1 Week) M11(2 Years) Dx3r (Year?).

Loved the spectrum 2-3 Went M8 then 3PK Then M11 Loved the M11, It fell out of my truck at 2am one night after unloading at my Buddies "Ranch" 100 miles and an 2 days later, got a DX3R, M11 Was Found 4 months later (Long Story) Still Running the DX3R.

Man Did I Cry when the M11 went MIA, Lipo Batt, Servos, Charge Leads, Reciver Batts (Lipo) Were all in that case, and it survived! I sold it to the same Buddy who I was unloading when I left it on top of my truck...He runs it now, I run the DX3R....I like it Best so far.