Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio? >

Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

27 mhz FM for me, and still using my trusty old KO EX-1 Ltd Edition radio LOL. Yes, you will see pros and sponsored drivers run on Fm, and mostly on 27 'cause it's the cleanest signal out there. I use a failsafe in my gas cars just in case, but it's been a long time since I've had a problem. At an RCP race last week there were 3 of us in Expert on 27 (the other two were factory driveres just FYI) and I checked with them like I always do to make sure none of us were using the same channel as first choice. There are always a few guys in Sportsman with RTR cars on 27 also, but I just haven't had any problems.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TripleA9D2
I'm putin a losi 8ight20 buggy soon, and will be racing , I have absolutely no clue what radios are good/decent, which radio would you guys recommend me for starter ?
A DSM. Simplifies things at the track, at no point to you need specify a frequency/channel. I have yet to see any issues using DSM, and I wouldn't change from it even if I saw and example of interference with it.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

both fm and 2.4 do the job hard to split them up, every now and then I have lost control for the smallest of time but that could be put down to either low battery power, running a regulator and maybe servo/transponder drain at the time?? either way I am sticking with spektrum for now.
cheers
Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
A DSM. Simplifies things at the track, at no point to you need specify a frequency/channel. I have yet to see any issues using DSM, and I wouldn't change from it even if I saw and example of interference with it.
Hows the Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...TK2020&click=2
Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

JR XS3. 30 channels. Everybody is moving to 2.4 s, why worry about interference?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

I'm putin a losi 8ight20 buggy soon, and will be racing , I have absolutely no clue what radios are good/decent, which radio would you guys recommend me for starter ?
4PK with brushless servos, 351 and 451.

I have never had any issues with this setup. I don't know what is best, but I have had great luck so far
Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
4PK with brushless servos, 351 and 451.

I have never had any issues with this setup. I don't know what is best, but I have had great luck so far
its funny you say the 4PK
i was taliking to the guys at my local shop and it seems that no one had any problems with there radios until this radio was released. its almost like the 4PK is doing something to everyone elses radios.
one bloke said that he read on another forum that 4PK's have been banned in some places because they are stealing the signals off other 2.4GHz radios.
i find this really hard to believe. But the more i think about it i never have any trouble with my nomadio unless there is someone else in the same race with a 4PK
so thats just some food for thought
Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Don't believe everything you hear I race almost every weekend, I think the guys would have buried me in a table top if that was true
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Any Spektrum is a good starter radio, however, the DX3R will keep you happy for quite some time. Then my friend, you can move to the fancy $500 radios when you pass Brian Kinwald on the race track
Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Any Spektrum is a good starter radio, however, the DX3R will keep you happy for quite some time. Then my friend, you can move to the fancy $500 radios when you pass Brian Kinwald on the race track
I still don't see the difference between radios, atleast I havent found anyone explain to me some solid information. lets say between a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz and the Spektrum or DX3r
Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I still don't see the difference between radios, atleast I havent found anyone explain to me some solid information. lets say between a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz and the Spektrum or DX3r
OK, well let me try. Most all of the better radios out there are more than good enough to do the job. It mainly comes down to personal experience and preference. For example, I will never ever buy another Futaba radio (though I swear by their servos). This is not because they are bad, other people swear by them but I had lots of problem with the two I had way back in the AM days, while the Airtronics radios have never once given me any problems. This, combined with the simpler programming of Airtronics has made me a die hard for life. Other people don't like the feel of Airtronics so they wont buy them. Then you have the KO Helios guys that swear they have the fastest, most connected feel of any of them. I must admit, I am tempted to try one but it's going to be tough to get an Airtronics out of my hand.

Bottom line, ask some people at the track to let you hold their radio and see what feels good to you. If the one that feels best to you is also one of the better reviewed models then get one. Hopefully it will provide you with years of trouble free service. If not, sell it and try something else.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wingracer
OK, well let me try. Most all of the better radios out there are more than good enough to do the job. It mainly comes down to personal experience and preference. For example, I will never ever buy another Futaba radio (though I swear by their servos). This is not because they are bad, other people swear by them but I had lots of problem with the two I had way back in the AM days, while the Airtronics radios have never once given me any problems. This, combined with the simpler programming of Airtronics has made me a die hard for life. Other people don't like the feel of Airtronics so they wont buy them. Then you have the KO Helios guys that swear they have the fastest, most connected feel of any of them. I must admit, I am tempted to try one but it's going to be tough to get an Airtronics out of my hand.

Bottom line, ask some people at the track to let you hold their radio and see what feels good to you. If the one that feels best to you is also one of the better reviewed models then get one. Hopefully it will provide you with years of trouble free service. If not, sell it and try something else.
awesome, thanks for that input, that's exactly what i will do, I need to check out the race track see how it works before I start racing anyway, I will choose a radio from some advice off the track, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer

Pretty much agree with everythings said. Futaba is overrated and over hyped. I've got my hand on KO Propo radio (EX 1 UR and helios) both owned by Mini z racer here. I was impressed the steering wheel is very accurate and smooth and you can hardly feel that you turn a spring unlike some brand. The throttle is comfortable there is a small piece of rubber on it .
Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mister-T
Pretty much agree with everythings said. Futaba is overrated and over hyped. I've got my hand on KO Propo radio (EX 1 UR and helios) both owned by Mini z racer here. I was impressed the steering wheel is very accurate and smooth and you can hardly feel that you turn a spring unlike some brand. The throttle is comfortable there is a small piece of rubber on it .
How is this one for starter

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/product_p/spm20310.htm
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have heard that FM radios make you feel more "connected" to your car. Rallyebmx switched from spektrum(not pro) to fm and said he liked it better. I have had an mx3,js3, m8 (spectrum) and now a DX3R. I haven't used the DX3R yet, but I didn't notice a difference in response from any of the radios. I did notice that I felt more "comfortable" with certain radios but I think it has more to do with how it felt in my hand. I am by no means a great racer. I can tell you that I can't wait to use the 3R just because it is so light compared to my m8.

-Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.