R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #121
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

thx again for that Air8...Im officially bookmarking this page for this exact question that pop's up every couple week's or so.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #122
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to maxx90
Default losi box

Here is a pic of my box. I was at a race a couple weeks ago and I noticed I had the ugliest box at the pit lane so I had to do something about it. I looked up the local powder coater and here it is. I hve been running this box stock with 2 28c 2 cell lipos and rewired with big wire and soldered it all in with no prob starting even my new grp.

Last edited by maxx90; 12-01-2013 at 06:59 PM.
maxx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I burned out both motors last week & now I got 2 Traxxas Titan 550 for replacement. my problem is...
How to remove the pulley for the old motor? I don't see any setscrew or something. Please help!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #124
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Crazy View Post
I burned out both motors last week & now I got 2 Traxxas Titan 550 for replacement. my problem is...
How to remove the pulley for the old motor? I don't see any setscrew or something. Please help!!!

buy a pack of new one's....they are pressed on and you will damage them trying to get them off most likely.....they are cheap like 5$ for the pair then just drill and tap a set screw and install.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #125
Tech Master

Thumbs down

wow, that bad design!! no choice, I have to order a pair of new pulley then....
thanks Integra.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think most of the starter boxes use pressed on pinions. Once you press on a gear and remove it, the gear has lost the holding power. So that's why new gears are needed. Fresh fit basically.

Like Integra said, drill and tap for a set screw for extra security.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I think most of the starter boxes use pressed on pinions. Once you press on a gear and remove it, the gear has lost the holding power. So that's why new gears are needed. Fresh fit basically.

Like Integra said, drill and tap for a set screw for extra security.
I will do that on my new pulley... thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx90 View Post
Here is a pic of my box. I was at a race a couple weeks ago and I noticed I had the ugliest box at the pit lane so I had to do something about it. I looked up the local powder coater and here it is. I hve been running this box stock with 2 28c 2 cell lipos and rewired with big wire and soldered it all in with no prob starting even my new grp.
sharp!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Losi starter box-starter%2520box%2520001.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok I gave up. I re-wired the whole box with wet noodle, soldered right to the contacts, bought some lipos, put some modded 550 motors in it, and it still won't turn over my GRP. I ordered the Ofna twin 775 motors truggy box.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #130
Tech Champion

did you do all the normal break-in procedures as well? Like pre heat the engine with heat gun/hair dryer, loosen the glow plug a couple turns, turn the flywheel counter clockwise (viewed from the rear) till almost top dead center, and let the starter box spool up before pushing all the way down with the vehicle?

The GRP engines are tight as hell, just like the Dynamite Platinum XP's. I have 3+ gallons on my Dynamite XP which has lead a hard life so far of nothing but Dirt Oval racing. Ninety percent of the time the engine is WOT. So the other day I thought my starter box battery was dead cause it wouldn't turn over the XP engine. I tried to move the flywheel by hand but it wouldn't budge. So I put the heat gun on her for a few minutes and tried again. Waalah. Success, and fired right up. HUH?!?! Three gallons and it's still that tight was a surprise to me. LOL. I can't remember the ambient temps but I think it was around 60 degrees F. IDK.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
Ok I gave up. I re-wired the whole box with wet noodle, soldered right to the contacts, bought some lipos, put some modded 550 motors in it, and it still won't turn over my GRP. I ordered the Ofna twin 775 motors truggy box.
Same story for me. I never did try lipo, but did re-wire and go through a few sets of motors. Threw it in the garbage and bought a couple ofna truggy start boxes. They will turn anything over just with a gel cell and stock wiring.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #132
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
did you do all the normal break-in procedures as well? Like pre heat the engine with heat gun/hair dryer, loosen the glow plug a couple turns, turn the flywheel counter clockwise (viewed from the rear) till almost top dead center, and let the starter box spool up before pushing all the way down with the vehicle?

The GRP engines are tight as hell, just like the Dynamite Platinum XP's. I have 3+ gallons on my Dynamite XP which has lead a hard life so far of nothing but Dirt Oval racing. Ninety percent of the time the engine is WOT. So the other day I thought my starter box battery was dead cause it wouldn't turn over the XP engine. I tried to move the flywheel by hand but it wouldn't budge. So I put the heat gun on her for a few minutes and tried again. Waalah. Success, and fired right up. HUH?!?! Three gallons and it's still that tight was a surprise to me. LOL. I can't remember the ambient temps but I think it was around 60 degrees F. IDK.

Yea bro did all the normal starting stuff, and it didn't work. Then I walked over to my buddy at the track who has the Ofna box and bumped the truggy once and it fired right up. I'm still keeping the other box for a backup.
Funny thing is that the box did work for the first gallon, but then stopped starting the engine. Just doesn't have the power I need I guess.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #133
Tech Champion

That sux man. You'll enjoy the Truggy start box.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #134
Tech Lord

Another weekend of racing and abuse on the stocker's and Lipo and its still Kickin. Plus i had a n00b pitman ALL weekend and im sure he stalled the motor's a time or 2 in the heat of the moment.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

im in the process of adapting the losi slide locking mechanism onto my ofna truggy box..i seen it posted on here before...that way i can use one box to start my 8ight T and B 2.0..i hope the longer chasis of the 2.0 truggy still fits on the box! and have a box that is light and will last forever!
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote