R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #106
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher6371 View Post
From what i'm reading 14.8 volt is the size Lipo i need for my box. I've come down to two batteries and can't decide. 4000mAh @ 15c burst/10c continuous or a 2200mAh battery with 30c burst/20c continuous? which one would be better for a staterbox? this would be the first lipo i ever by so....i'm not quite sure which one is better. (if one is much better than the other, why?) thanks

you would want the 2200 30C...the 15C 3300's on the bay are imo not up to par with the 20C+ packs.....I did venture down this exact same road and found that 20C is Minimum when it comes to any lipo that you want any form of punch or consistent power from.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Does any one if someone makes a lipo cutoff for the starter box so it wont discharge too far and ruin the lipo ?
jag5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

How are you guys mounting the ofna motars and cage? I mounted everything up and the wheel wont reach the flywheel.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #109
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
How are you guys mounting the ofna motars and cage? I mounted everything up and the wheel wont reach the flywheel.
Use shims/ washers under the cage where it mounts to the box to raise the wheel.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I run the losi 4cell 220 lipo and it works great, I rewired and soldered everything too. Changinf the switch to something a little higher amp seems to help out alot too..Radio Shack has the cool red coverd arming ones too If it becomes a trend i started it first lol
GMS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Use shims/ washers under the cage where it mounts to the box to raise the wheel.
Use the Losi cage as a template to drill new holes to mount the wheel higher in the OFNA cage. It ends up right on top of the cage, but still holds fine. That's what I did with mine.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #112
Tech Lord

Default Convert to Losi 8 box

To convert the top of this box to accept the Losi 8 box hardware is extremely difficult. I would not recommend it unless you are a wizard with the dremel. Way too many mods necessary. I have been at it for 2 hours and its close but not pretty. I guess I need to work on my dremel skills. I still dont even know if it will work. Internal swap much easier.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #113
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I swapped the ofna innard to the losi box. A few new Holes here and there and it works like a charm Any questions shoot me a note.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #114
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Questions?? Burned up motors...

I burned up one of the motors in my box and the LHS guys said they have seen alot of these burn up. I have rewired my box with heaver gauge wire and have two Core 5000 lipos in it.

I was wondering if anyone else on this thread had this problem.

Does this make any sense to anyone: What if the motors are wired individually (their own postive and negative wires) instead of in a series (connected together with a single wire)? Two positive wires coming off the switch and two negative wires going to the batteries. I was thinking that once one of the motors is stopped or short out then it gets the juice from both batteries and burns up quick. It seems that the first motor in the series burns up and the box will not work at all because the burned motor brakes the series.

I opened up the burned motor and the brush was cooked right off it's spring (leafspring kind of setup).

Any input from someone who knows electrical would be helpful.
Thanks
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #115
Tech Lord

Since I switched to the Ofna truggy start box with the losi top hardware transfered I am a very happy racer. This box with the deans wet noodle and 4s lipo will start anything even a new stubborn GRP. Ditch at least the Losi internals and upgrade to the Ofna 775 setup you will smile every time you start up your mill.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #116
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
I burned up one of the motors in my box and the LHS guys said they have seen alot of these burn up. I have rewired my box with heaver gauge wire and have two Core 5000 lipos in it.

I was wondering if anyone else on this thread had this problem.

Does this make any sense to anyone: What if the motors are wired individually (their own postive and negative wires) instead of in a series (connected together with a single wire)? Two positive wires coming off the switch and two negative wires going to the batteries. I was thinking that once one of the motors is stopped or short out then it gets the juice from both batteries and burns up quick. It seems that the first motor in the series burns up and the box will not work at all because the burned motor brakes the series.

I opened up the burned motor and the brush was cooked right off it's spring (leafspring kind of setup).

Any input from someone who knows electrical would be helpful.
Thanks
2 5000's ? what C rating......i think you might just have Too much Amperage going to the motor's....a Single 4 cell will not have anywhere near as much amps to put out compared to 2 racing stick packs.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #117
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default C rating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
2 5000's ? what C rating......i think you might just have Too much Amperage going to the motor's....a Single 4 cell will not have anywhere near as much amps to put out compared to 2 racing stick packs.
Core never gave a C rating to these batteries. They are older ones (1 year plus).

I found that my son's Traxxas Stampede motors fit right in. I'm going to upgrade to those and see what happens. I'll let you know how it works out.

Still, will it make a difference the way the motors are wired in?
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Adding the ofna internals is not as easy as this thread makes it sound. It needs lots of modification to make it work.

If you change the entire cage it must be shimed and the wheel needs to be moved toward the center. If you want to just use the ofna motors the pulleys like the losis are difficult to remove.

I gave up and just bought emax motors.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #119
Tech Lord

Here is a pic of the swap of the top guides from a losi box to an ofna truggy box. It was not easy and it took a-lot of time but the payoff is worth it. This box will start any 8ight.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
These stick packs have too much amperage for a starter box. I tried it last summer. Every 2-3 weekends and one of the motors would smoke--sometimes spit blue/orange sparks. I went to a normal starter box 14.8V battery and all is well now. Smaller stick packs would be much better if you can bring yourself to buying smaller batteries. LOL.

2s2p 6000mAh 7.4V @ 20C = 120 amps.

4s1p 2000mAh 14.8V @ 15C = 30 amps.
Two stick pack lipos of that size is too much amperage. I burned up two losi motors before I saw the blue/orange sparks out of one of the motors. It was just obvious there was a huge electrical problem. Those motors were super powerful for about two weekends, and then they's burn down.

Start with a "Starber box" lipo of 14.8V and 2000mAh. A battery close to these numbers will never hurt your box.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote