Search

Losi starter box

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Yeah crapxxs lol

Havent made the plunge to lipo yet. Once I go lipo with my reciever batts I will get the starter box one too. Onlything stopping me is the regulators and with hitec's new high voltage servos comming out I won't need them.

35$ ebay special for a 4 cell works like a champ....No need to go 100$ on a name brand pack....Just make sure its 20C or above.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

ok maybe not the right thread to start this but SINCE you guys are talking about Lipos.

What mAh would i be looking for? what Voltage? Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH voltage for a starter box(i know some ESC's, servos, receivers, have a limit) What is a "C" rating? LOL sorry i know this prob isn't the right thread for this but it's got me thinking, I know i know, i'm going to go searching for my answers right now, but asking is the start of my search LOL. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fletcher6371
ok maybe not the right thread to start this but SINCE you guys are talking about Lipos.

What mAh would i be looking for? what Voltage? Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH voltage for a starter box(i know some ESC's, servos, receivers, have a limit) What is a "C" rating? LOL sorry i know this prob isn't the right thread for this but it's got me thinking, I know i know, i'm going to go searching for my answers right now, but asking is the start of my search LOL. Thanks
4S is 14.8v, the motors will run fine at that voltage, and with a 15-20C there is plenty of juice from the battery for the motors to pull. If you go with 4000mAh you'll get more than a whole race day out of them and not worry about running down your cells especially if you have a bad day and need to keeping firing your car's engine. I recommend the Pro-Tek 4S battery from Amain, it's $52 and works great in starter boxes. I'm running 2x 2S 15C 4000mAh batteries in series in mine ( the pic is above) without a problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

14.8v is max for a starter box, any more volts and your motors wont last long. I upgraded to a Losi 4S 2200 with a 20c rating and a deans connector. I like to stick to the name brands I know their rep is worth the extra 20 bucks. Theres nothing worse than trying to save a buck only to have the cheap knock off fail and then you have to spend the money again. I use the stock Losi motors and I soldered all the wiring with deans wet noodle. The battery lasts 2+ days and turns over all my GRP engines. I just finished breaking in 2 new tuned GRP .21's. Go with lipo, deans and new wiring you will smile every time you use the box.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Integra
35$ ebay special for a 4 cell works like a champ....No need to go 100$ on a name brand pack....Just make sure its 20C or above.
Yeah its really more about the money for the charger and power supply. I do know it is the way of the future but my 5 cell AA packs have been working perfectly in the cars so I can't justify spending the money just for a starter box. One of these days I will go for it but for now my old school setup works fine.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

Now looking at pictures and reading about lipo's in starter boxes, i see no voltage cut-offs? I thought if the pack was discharged too much it would destroy the battery? so if i'm looking at this right a 2200mAh bat @ 20C = 44amps MAX (discharge?) but if i run 2 2200mAh @ 20C in parallel = 88amps Max? Which i believe would be overkill. I'm under the assumption that a SINGLE 2200mAh @ 20C would be more than enough for a raceday. But i'm still not sure about a voltage cut off. or should i just not worry about it? lol sorry for high jacking this thread!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Now looking at pictures and reading about lipo's in starter boxes, i see no voltage cut-offs? I thought if the pack was discharged too much it would destroy the battery? so if i'm looking at this right a 2200mAh bat @ 20C = 44amps MAX (discharge?) but if i run 2 2200mAh @ 20C in parallel = 88amps Max? Which i believe would be overkill. I'm under the assumption that a SINGLE 2200mAh @ 20C would be more than enough for a raceday. But i'm still not sure about a voltage cut off. or should i just not worry about it? lol sorry for high jacking this thread!
i use a fusion 4s 4500 mah and i havent charged it for um idk how long lol.... i used it for 3 days for the nitro challenge out here in az, then the same day as my main i broke so i fixed the truck but couldnt make my main so i went to another track that was having a club race, used it out there all night, and i still havent had to charge it. it is double your pack your talkin about but im more then sure you can get 2 days EASY out of a 2200. i always want the biggest and best thats why i got the 4500

this is my box

Last edited by losi_racer; 03-12-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Losi box with OFNA truggy box internals would be the best thing goin imo.

im bidding on Traxxas Summit 775 motor's on ebay to do a conversion.
I put the bulkhead and motors from the OFNA truggy box in my Losi box and it works awesome with the regular gel cell battery.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

2200 is more then enough for a whole weekend....as long as your motor's arent out of tune and constantly need restarting or they are a pain to start and it takes you more then a couple min to get it fired.....my 2200 rarely takes over 1000mah after a 3 day weekend race.....cut off's are not needed....Just make sure to recharge after every big event or couple day race.....If you started you car 2-3 times on a sunday for some practice or w/e dont bother recharging.

JAMMIN i hear ya on the pack thing.....my packs all started to fail me which is why i went lipo......i actually got 900mah practice packs off ebay for like 5$ a peice...i used one in my buggy main 45min and it took a little under 600mah......imo i would rather swap out to a new pack every hour or so as apposed to having a 100g 2000mah pack on board i can use the 900 at 50g and change them more often

i love how the guys think the name brand lipo's are soo much better then the HK knock off's.....THERE ALL the same cell's...with different color shrink wrap and sticker's.

looneytune Im gonna pm you with a couple q'S in regards to that conversion.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Having trouble with my losi box as well, I wish I could just make my engine all roto start. It would be much easier
Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Jamminkrazy the ofna truggy box is the way to go with the 2 775 motors in it. I have one myself and love it is well worth the money and has a ton of power and very easy to set up. You can break in any motor you want with it with no probs at all.

+1 to that. Let me know how you make out with the 775's. I am just about ready to give in and buy a ofna truggy start. This losi box just isn't powerful enough for tight motors. I love the ability to start both cars but I have been using my chrome top for truggy anyway.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
What engines are you starting? I've broken in a couple of GO engines on mine without issue. Did you rewire yours? It makes a big difference, the stock wiring sucks.
What wire did use use and where did you get it? I have a complete new Losi box on the way and I am going to rewire it
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RGraves
What wire did use use and where did you get it? I have a complete new Losi box on the way and I am going to rewire it

12g Deans Wet Noodle.....available at any LHS...or at least they should have it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by losiracer78
Jamminkrazy the ofna truggy box is the way to go with the 2 775 motors in it. I have one myself and love it is well worth the money and has a ton of power and very easy to set up. You can break in any motor you want with it with no probs at all.
Yeah but it won't start both of my cars. I know it is the best out there but I would just rather only carry one box around with me. If I can convert my losi to use 2 775's thats the way I'm goin. If not I will just buck up and order the truggy start.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Yeah but it won't start both of my cars. I know it is the best out there but I would just rather only carry one box around with me. If I can convert my losi to use 2 775's thats the way I'm goin. If not I will just buck up and order the truggy start.

at the nats this year and last i seen a losi guy with a modded Truggy box....basically took the top of the losi box and traced all the cut out's onto the Truggy box....cut it out....slapped on the losi gear...whamo...Truggy box with losi slider's capable of doing both duties....its another way to go about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.