Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering Servo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Steering Servo Problem

Hi guys and gals, just back from the Gold Coast and right back into the buggy addiction again

I have a small issue and dont know if it is a dodgie steering servo or what. As some of you may know I purchased a Hyper 8.5 for my first buggy, and have made this to be my race meeting buggy, when I can eventually start getting down there. ops:

Couple of weeks after that I purchase a Hyper 7 Black TQ Special Edition and have finished running that in. I purchased it to basically learn how to drive these beasts and to practice setup tweaking.

Now the issue is the steering is nearly non existent. I have had the servo horn off and steered left and right a few times to see if it may have been something wrong there, and then realigned the servo horn. Still hardly turns the wheels at all. :?:

Changed to new batteries and nothing changed. Also used my Hyper 8.5 radio/controller with the same issue on it so it isn't a radio issue I wouldn't think. :evil:

Is there anything that anyone knows of that may fix this problem or is it a case of a stuffed servo that came with the buggy and I have 2 choices, and they are send the servo back and wait for RC Hobbies to get it repaired 8O or a new one back to me or purchase a new one and send the other one away, get it fixed or replaced and have a spare. :mrgreen:

Help, Cheers Mal
Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Try another servo on that car and see if it helps.
Check your servo saver to make sure it isn't too loose.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Also with your servo horn off check your steering on your buggy and make sure it's not binding when you turn lock to lock on both sides. If the servo came with the buggy and the buggy was a RTR, then most likely it's just a weak servo. Most companies slap in cheap weak servos to cut the cost. Get a servo with around 200oz and you will be good to go.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are using a plastic servo horn check the threads.
Turn on the electronics and hold the servo horn while trying to turn the servo...do you feel any power there? Do you hear the motor in the servo turning but the horn is not moving?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Check your servo saver to make sure it isn't too loose.
How do I do that, only been into the hobby for a few short months.

Cheers Mal
Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To check the servo saver...try and hold the servo arm/horn so that it doesn't move and try to turn the wheels by your hand.
It should take some "force" to move it...if it seems too soft and the wheels turn easily then the servo saver it's too loose.
These are all servo savers...the spring adjusts the force that is required to turn it without turning the steering servo horn/arm.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Location: Lost in the Dead Space between my Ears Somewhere around Wamego, KS (OZ Land)
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

buy a good servo if you replace that one, when I first started out I had lots of servo problems with the steering and bought every brand made under 50 bucks a piece, spent over 200 bucks and finally broke down and spent 120 on a D9000T JR and now all my steering servos are D9000T and the newest one is 3 years old now, all still racing and bashing from my backyard Savage to my race only Buggies and Truggy.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

if you have not already check the epa on your radio