Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is the hyper 8.5 pro still a competitor? >

Is the hyper 8.5 pro still a competitor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the hyper 8.5 pro still a competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Is the hyper 8.5 pro still a competitor?

I have a hyper 8.5 pro i bought last year ran it very few times, and I do plan on racing a little this year, is the buggy still a competitor buggy or will other manufacturers easily pull away?

iif so whats a decent buggy to buy? decently prices too, no $700 bugies please.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I think that in the right hands any decent older buggy can run with the newer stuff. Throw some big bore shocks and a nasty engine on it and call it a day.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

I can sort of help you, I run a Hyper 8.5 not 8.5 pro
I have had it for about 2+yrs.. I used it in the garden ect.. But since a few months ago, I started racing. I did have a Go 7port. But recently upgraged to a V-Spec as Im my 1st meeting I was having engine issues but won the C Final by 3 laps.. and cut out 2 times. Then bumped to the B but, Clutch bell came loose so was the end of that. Then last weekend was my 2nd meet, which I qualied straight into B and was running In 3rd, for about 15 mins. Till my engine mounts came loose, and byt the time I fixed it was too late. I am doing well with my Hyper.. considering I have only done 2 races, mind you lots of practice.. but as the guy above says. A decent enough driver and engine.. you will be fine.. And last weekend set one of the top 5 lap times.. so.. its still pritty quick. Keeping up with all the new Boys, Losi 2.0, 808, Hyper 9.. ect
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

8.5 is still a fast car. Lightening up what you can will help, but it's still competitive.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

An 8.5 is still a good ride and is not off pace if your just starting out with racing then you have a good car under you to be in the game it turns great and with some tweaking to get the car the way you want it you could put up some wins, yes new rides with technical advances with other options to tune into the track are on hand with the new cars but are you going to understand the changes you would need to do if your just starting out it may blow your mind and throw the car way off and you be frustrated with a $500.00 plus car. Get the feel of your current car and dail that in before you go to the next window.

I put down my fastest Qualifier with a Hyper 8 not and 8.5 vs my Jammin, 8.5 wasn't out when I had my 8.Now I drive a Hyper 9 great car but like I say with the tech updates it might be too much for right now.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

all I would need is a buggy if I was to replace it.

I already have a modded novarossi .21 engine, pipe, Ace servos, and a ofna chrome top box to power everything.

if I needed to replace the buggy i wouldnt go with lets say a $750 kyosho, but xrays and mugens are nice, the hyper 9 is a nice price.