Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sportwerks reaction wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sportwerks reaction wont stay running

I just bought a sportwerks reaction and i no it was takin care of b4 i had it. It takes me awile to get it running but once i do it wants to idle down and die iv played with a couple of things on the car. Anyone have any ideas???
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woods135
I just bought a sportwerks reaction and i no it was takin care of b4 i had it. It takes me awile to get it running but once i do it wants to idle down and die iv played with a couple of things on the car. Anyone have any ideas???
The first thing to do is find the manual (online or paper) for your engine. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. The only way someone here can help you with it is if you can provide some specific info about your particular engine.

The engine manual may be part of the car manual, but not always. If your car came with a Thunder Tiger engine, for example, you need to find the Thunder Tiger manual. Look for something in the manual about "factory needle/carburetor settings". The wording will be something like "2.5 turns out from closed". That's the info we need to know.

Without that info in hand, it could be a couple of things:

I don't know of this is the rule for all engines, but a properly tuned off-road buggy engine will die after 10-15 seconds or so of idling. Fuel builds up in the engine and floods it (for lack of a better word). They're not meant to idle for long. You can lean the low speed needle to make it idle all day long, but that lean setting has an adverse effect when running/racing.

You can raise the idle RPM on any engine and make it idle for long periods. This can have an adverse effect too, though, because it can partially engage the clutch and cause premature wear. There's a happy medium with this setting and I suggest playing with this one first.

There's also the high speed needle. If it's closed/leaned too far, none of the other needles will have an effect.