Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams? >

Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Holy...!

I'm really surprised how many people are cleaning their air filters...
I'm a "one filter per race day" guy and I never reuse them.
A friend of mine is a pro racer and that's the first thing he taught me when he pulled me into nitro racing a few years ago...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by triplesix
Holy...!

A friend of mine is a pro racer and that's the first thing he taught me when he pulled me into nitro racing a few years ago...

Yea, I can see why most say that, but then you will find nearly ever pro gets filters for free.. so its nothing to them. But If I could I would change mine everyday.. but that gets costly.. so I have about 4 and use them all in 1 day then reclean them then resuse them. The most of the time, I buy another 4 then next month.. But It all depends on the person and there $ size.. tbh..
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Get a couple spares. That way you change them out thru out the day and they wont get that dirty to have to throw them out. I just wash and reoil. Never had any problems. Everyone has their own way. For the price of replacing a filter every weekend. I could replace the piston and sleeve in less than 3 months.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I use to clean them, about 10 times and after that, get new ones.
To clean it, i use very hot water and a lot of soap.

And of course a really good filter oil, like bikes motor one.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Rock Oil and Simple Green. 25+ cleaning and no pass thru of dirt. Washes out so fast you will wonder why you weren't using it last year.

Most of time if you get dirt past a filter it is at the connection or around the edges of the foam. If you are getting any dirt thru the center of the filter you are not using enuff oil, the right oil or have a very sh!ty foam.

If you are wondering about dirt getting thru the filter there is an easy test. Lightly coat the inside of the rubber tube with oil. Check it very once in a while by running a Q Tip along the inside. Any dirt that gets by the filter will tend to stick to the oiled tube.

It all simply boils down to do what makes you feel good and/or what you can afford.

Ed M.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bentgear
Rock Oil and Simple Green. 25+ cleaning and no pass thru of dirt. Washes out so fast you will wonder why you weren't using it last year.

Most of time if you get dirt past a filter it is at the connection or around the edges of the foam. If you are getting any dirt thru the center of the filter you are not using enuff oil, the right oil or have a very sh!ty foam.

If you are wondering about dirt getting thru the filter there is an easy test. Lightly coat the inside of the rubber tube with oil. Check it very once in a while by running a Q Tip along the inside. Any dirt that gets by the filter will tend to stick to the oiled tube.

It all simply boils down to do what makes you feel good and/or what you can afford.

Ed M.
Well put
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Location: I live in the middle of nowhere. A place where we have roughly 0 nitro tracks, on or off road. All we have is flat grass and open corn fields, sometimes it's not even fun to bash there anymore.

ive had the same filter in mine for a year, i take it out wash it with hot water and dish soap, then i use air filter oil and put it back on, it doesnt break down so why replace it, it's an air filter if you keep it clean it will keep working. in my opinion you are all throwing your money away. no need to throw away just clean it and make sure it's on right, i've never had a single problem, not once have i had dirt in my engine
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice idea, I'm going to have to try that one out.

Currently I am washing and reusing foams with the K&N stuff. No longer have my motorcycle that I bought it for so may as well use it right?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Currently I am washing and reusing foams with the K&N stuff. No longer have my motorcycle that I bought it for so may as well use it right?
Never have used the K&N oil so I have no idea how good it works in this application. Several others seem to be having good results. Test it and see, let us know after a few gallons.

Ed M.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triplesix
Holy...!

Holy....! is right... "one filter per race day" ?

My son and I run a total of three vehicles per race day; and with practice, qualifiers and mains, we go through a minimum of 12 filters per race day. or more. Each time on the track, I replace the filter since my track does generate some dust.
I can only wish that I ran on a track that did not have any dust at all allowing us to run one filter per per vehicle per race day... So, yes, I clean and reuse my filters. Not sharp shooting, just jealous.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

Never have used the K&N oil so I have no idea how good it works in this application. Several others seem to be having good results. Test it and see, let us know after a few gallons.

Ed M.

K&N oil is for cotton elements!!!! foam elements need the TACKY oils,
I use PJ1 with great results.

I wash my filters and reuse them, how many times? it depens, take a look and if its good keep using and if you dont like it change. simple

Have fun
ALG
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Associated makes the stickiest blue filter oil you have ever seen! Use a squirt of WD40 for first stage clean-out it cuts the oil so your cleaner can remove the old oil easily! Re-oil in a plastic bag and you are set.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you do the maths then you decide if you are going to get a new air filter or reuse after washing.

new engine from 200 - 300 USD
1 gallon to 2 gallons of fuel first stage break in in 80 dollars ?

1 air filter replacement cartridge 1 USD ?

lets not forget no less then 3 hours of wasted time of breakin in then driving and practicing ?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALG
K&N oil is for cotton elements!!!! foam elements need the TACKY oils,
I use PJ1 with great results.

I wash my filters and reuse them, how many times? it depens, take a look and if its good keep using and if you dont like it change. simple

Have fun
ALG
KaN makes foam filter oil you get it at your local motor-sports store Had a can from that and tried it works great

I use Fluidz foam filter oil.And i do reuse the filters i actually cant believe the amount of people that don't.Even if your well off its like calling an electrician to change light bulbs LOLAnywho i use 6-8 filters on a giving race day when ever i go on the track i have a new filter on.Ill throw out the outer when they show any signs of stretching or becoming pores but have never had to trow out the inners as the never even get dirty any way????????
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

I use power save foams ment to fit the losi on every car I have.I buy power save foam for $24 for 12 filters.I replace the outer foam every time the car comes off the track & the inner filters will stay spotless all day & you could go 2 race days easy on the same inner filter.Power save foam is roughly twice as dense as losi brand & roughly the same price.I use either motorex206 or maxxima depending on what I can get but prefer motorex.Dawn dish soap works very well & all filters get reused till they wont come spotless after a low efort cleaning.That = around 10 reuses of outer filter & 2-3 of the inner.The inner gets tossed earlier because its very difficult to remove the grease from the sealing lip ends & it covers too much of the filter after a cleaning or two.after I soap up the inner filter I stick my finger in one end of the hole & press the other end to the faucet,back flowing the filter. I have found that losi style filters(small dia) dont work as good as the old school big fat ones but are much more efficent design,fitting further forward away from the hot eng due to size & dont compress brake linkage again due to size so they are a little bit of a trade off simply because the wall thickness is only 1/2 as thick as old school filters but fits newer buggys better & are much cheaper to swap out more often.Any whoo do what ever makes you feel better cuz if your hobby causes stress why do it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.