Problems @ Lake Park

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems @ Lake Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Problems @ Lake Park

Looking for peoples thoughts on how this track is being run. It seems that it is run by a few, not a club of members. Folks this track is provided by Hillsborough County free of rent and most improvments are done by the county. There are no club meetings, no voting of any kind on matters that involve the club ie what members want improved/changed, what money the club has brought in and what was paid out, what members want to spend the club funds on, how the track is layed out, Officers voted on yearly etc. These are all things that you the people that pay to run every weekend should have the right to know if you are club members. This track is NOT the private property of anybody. Myself and others are meeting with Parks & rec. Dept. and the County Commission to see that it is opened up and made to run as a open book, club member friendly track. Please let us know what you think.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 2vracing
Looking for peoples thoughts on how this track is being run. It seems that it is run by a few, not a club of members. Folks this track is provided by Hillsborough County free of rent and most improvments are done by the county. There are no club meetings, no voting of any kind on matters that involve the club ie what members want improved/changed, what money the club has brought in and what was paid out, what members want to spend the club funds on, how the track is layed out, Officers voted on yearly etc. These are all things that you the people that pay to run every weekend should have the right to know if you are club members. This track is NOT the private property of anybody. Myself and others are meeting with Parks & rec. Dept. and the County Commission to see that it is opened up and made to run as a open book, club member friendly track. Please let us know what you think.

I dont know your entire situation, but I would do what ever you do as "politically correct" as you can. I would just be worried to cause to much of a stink and then the county stepping in too much or just shutting the project down.

Good Luck
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Always remember our city govt. is supposed to work for us, we should not walk around in the shadows and feel sneaky about our hobby. Some r/c clubs act as if they are worried about being shut down. I call BS let your city/county commissioners know you want funding for this and quit walking in the shadows. In some towns BMX tracks are built,mountain bike trails are built and maintained by county/city funding,frisbee golf courses tennis courts,ETC. ETC. If they know that people use it they are supposed to help with special interest activities.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I live in Fort Myers and love that track.That track always has the best layouts and surface too run on . The guys that run it work hard to make it right. The track is also open to the public free of charge any time the park is open. What more do you want form them? Did u try to talk to them and work it out? I cant belive any one who races anything would not like everything about that track. This track is one of the best tracks in Florida as far as layout,drivers stand,bathrooms,bleachers,and location goes. I could go on and on . Many people I know share that opinion. You can have you own opinion and I have much respect for that. .I think throwing a helping hand in and helping work on the track untill your friends with the operators is the best way to make your viewpoints stick. Rc tracks are a endangerd species .Id hate to see you ruin it for the majority that do like it. I feel lucky that their is a place like that.

Last edited by luckyhomes; 03-10-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Always remember our city govt. is supposed to work for us, we should not walk around in the shadows and feel sneaky about our hobby. Some r/c clubs act as if they are worried about being shut down. I call BS let your city/county commissioners know you want funding for this and quit walking in the shadows. In some towns BMX tracks are built,mountain bike trails are built and maintained by county/city funding,frisbee golf courses tennis courts,ETC. ETC. If they know that people use it they are supposed to help with special interest activities.
Push the wrong buttons and it'll be gone as quick as it came enjoy your great track
Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

dude what are you complaining about? what do you need to vote on? that track allways has a pretty cool layout, and the surface is kept up well, the fact that everything is taken care of by those people should be a bonus
Old 03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Batman and his guys put a lot of work into that track, and have for many years (Minnreg as well). Perhaps you should approach him if you have an issue instead of posting on a forum that they dont visit?

I would also suggest that your statements to the goverment officials be as gentle as possible. Its far too easy for them to shut something like this down and send the funds elsewhere with the economy the way it is.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Don't know all of the situation but I do know the more people you get involved then the more complicated and complex the situation becomes. We had quite a stir where I live because 3 people out of over 200 wanted to see a dirt oval incorporated into a 1/8 offroad track. For anyone who races 1/8 nitro you know that just isn't realistic. We are a 1/8 offroad club. Our website says so. It's like getting mad at little league baseball because they wouldn't build you a skateboard park.

Just remember. One bulldozer and any RC track in the country is done in less than 5 minutes. They are much harder to start than they are to tear down.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

I guess since I was quoted I'll respond. Yeah lets keep it a secret. We don't want our city /county commissioners to know that we taxpayers ,who vote them into office, enjoy and promote our hobby and we are very scared of them shutting us down. Well ,are we doing something wrong in the first place? What kind of wrong buttons were you referring to?????
Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Positive thoughts bring positive results.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey 2vracing??

Instead of hiding behind some BS screen name, why don't you post your full name for all to see instead of hiding behind your keyboard . Your making some pretty big assumptions about a really great group of people who work hard so you have a place to race and play with toy cars.

Next to my home track at Mills Pond, Lake Park and the Hurricane track is BY FAR my favorite place to come race.

Randy Deppen
West Palm Beach

^^ Look it's not hard keyboard cowboy
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
I guess since I was quoted I'll respond. Yeah lets keep it a secret. We don't want our city /county commissioners to know that we taxpayers ,who vote them into office, enjoy and promote our hobby and we are very scared of them shutting us down. Well ,are we doing something wrong in the first place? What kind of wrong buttons were you referring to?????
Government closures:
Minnreg
GB's
Ocala (almost)
Naples
Boggy Creek
Coral Springs (years ago)

The more they know about racers the less they will like it. Every track is a dangerous place with little or no insurance, its best if we stay off the radar.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have been with lake park for the last 6 years this is by far the best it has been since I started.
Every layout that you have driven on in those 6 years I have been a major part in building. Every one of the Officers in the club has made sacrifices and busted there asses to make this club what it is.
How many times have you showed up and helped,how many times have you taken a vacation day so you can work on the track? Have you ever spent hours throwing mud off the track so you and your friend can race what about staying up till 3am working on the track, what about not racing because you have to announce and run the show.
The only thing your going to do is get us shut down
Boggy creek 1 guy complained shut down
Minnreg 1 guy complained shut down

Last edited by c baron; 03-11-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2vracing
They have a web site http://www.horrc.com/ if you want to post, ask or contact the few people you are talking about.. And they have a few you know of, because those are the people that have always been there to help, work and run the track. Its the same at most tracks, they try and get club members to join/sign up but when it comes down to it, its usually a handfull of guys that do almost everything.. Sad but true..
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never had a issue running at the track. Nor am I am member of the Hurricane Club. I have never had to pay unless I was racing and during park hours I have never been denied access. I do not get along with all of them but I more than appreciate the work they have put into it. Why is this not posted on their forum? What are you maneuvering to do? If you want to have a say in what goes on start this in their forum. Show up on a work day and shovel and b***ch. But don't s***t were you eat.

This reminds me of a t-shirt I had in college:

If you can't beat me on the track.
Then beat me off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.