R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

I dont think they ran nitro back then so I would do some research on the item under question...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #47
Tech Prophet

i would choose gas i used to race electric but did not like the powerband for offroad espially modified. i look for the cheapest fuel thats still good though and look for sales on glow plugs ,tires .and run harder compound tires to last longer,u dont need to spend a lot of money on nitro,i would go with a 3 port engine for about 175 and if u need more top end u could always fix that. but u will love nitro for offroad.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

You'll have some lips between your legs to race electric 1/8 scale!

I'm only kidding guys don't get your panties in a bunch!!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #49

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I HAVE A FEW MONTHS to peice this together yet. I know you make it as expesive as you want to make it. How long does a gallon of fuel last with one of these.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would say, gas, but if youve got no commitment to your buggy then go elec. your buggy(gas) needs alot of maintenance, but in return you get alot more fun with the smoke and sound. and it also makes your neighbours go like "WHOAH, WHAT WAS THAT?" but the elec version, you have less maintenance, no screaming sound but instead a buzzy sound, and alot of smoke after burning your first batch of electronics. thats the only smoke you'll ever see when your in electric. the price is gonna be the same with the batteries and fuel and hop ups and stuff.

lets go over the pros and cons.
we open the box of both types of vehicles, electric and nitro
both of the cars have some items that are needed to be installed for running
the electric dude (aka dude1) turns on his vehicle and starts running it while the gas dude(aka dude 2) has to go over the break in instructions. as dude 1 is having fun chasing cats and dogs, dude 2 is making slow runs here and there for the break in process. dude 1 is still having fun while dude 2 is half done with the break in process. after dude 2 is done with his process, dude 2 decides to race dude 1. dude 1 has to charge his battery because he has finished his juice, on the other hand dude 2 is making high speed runs with his roaring vehicle. after charging his battery pack they decide to race, dude 2 has finished his fuel so he refueled his car.they both start at the grid. dude 1 and 2 shouts 3,2,1 go! and dude 1 leads first taking a long lead. dude 2 easily out runs him by miles. so after running both cars. dude 1 has to discharge his pack or recharge his pack to store it. but dude 2 is still outside, doing the after run procedures.
so its really your descision whether to choose electric or gas,
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

dude1 needs to do a proper electric conversion, since when is a BL 1/8 slower than a nitro??
dude2 just went thorugh $20 in gas, and $10 in glow plugs, and still has to spend an hour cleaning it off before the wife alowes it/him back in the house
dude2 has the nabores knocking on his door to stop making such a racket.

dude 2 forgot to set his failsafe and had a runaway causing his engine to seze, while if dude1 fried his electronics, most companies have a warrenty/replacement plan in place

you don't discharge lipos, and if you go the a123 rout you can charge the batts in 15min....
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
dude1 needs to do a proper electric conversion, since when is a BL 1/8 slower than a nitro??
dude2 just went thorugh $20 in gas, and $10 in glow plugs, and still has to spend an hour cleaning it off before the wife alowes it/him back in the house
dude2 has the nabores knocking on his door to stop making such a racket.

dude 2 forgot to set his failsafe and had a runaway causing his engine to seze, while if dude1 fried his electronics, most companies have a warrenty/replacement plan in place

you don't discharge lipos, and if you go the a123 rout you can charge the batts in 15min....
im saying they were new simple rtr, normal brushed motors, lame electronics,slow wall charger, 100mah batteries.
but then a BL system would fry dude 2. BL is known for brutal speed i guess.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

It seems to always be the case that the guys that are angry about EL's dont know anything about them and the EL guys know more about nitro than they do...but then again, its the electric poking around the nitro thread and starting finicky threads
Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I guarantee anyone who drives a BL 1/8 buggy with a nice electronics would be thoroughly impressed by it. It's hard to judge just watching them, try to get your hands on one to drive. It's a life changing experience. (Even for die-hard nitro folks.)

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What kind of run times are you all getting with good electrics? One of the things I like about nitro is the long mains, but for me wrenching (something I do enjoy) is getting to be a hassle during the week. I have missed a few races because of it. If my vehic is not in tip top shape, I am not going racing. So, something that would reduce wrench time would be a plus for me.
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
What kind of run times are you all getting with good electrics? One of the things I like about nitro is the long mains, but for me wrenching (something I do enjoy) is getting to be a hassle during the week. I have missed a few races because of it. If my vehic is not in tip top shape, I am not going racing. So, something that would reduce wrench time would be a plus for me.
A proper setup will make a 20 minute main under most race conditions. The cars can't really run much longer though as the batteries start getting too heavy and it affects handling. Heat (motor) can also be an issue during the summer. If your mains are longer than 20 minutes, you will in all likelihood need to do a battery swap.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It sucks, electrics now get better runtime than nitro's...

I abused my brushless 18t for close to 40 minutes. The nitro's run outa gas in 10-15 minutes
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #58
Tech Regular

then comes in the heat shield tape and longer fuel lines
Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Nitro = Man
Electric = Girl
(plus im scared of electricity)

J/k

No really i am kind scared .... little kid ..... metal knife ...... grill igniter .. who knew....
Tcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #60

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

So if I where to go electric i should have 2 batteries if I plan on racing and that will then double the price? How much does a lipo for one of these cost anyway, and how many volts you need?
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote