Tech Adept

Electric is way better than nitro.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Nitro is way better than electric.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will go electric for racing, nitro for bashing, that's just me, as the only offroad truck I have (nitro, that is) is my MGT, and I am soley going to use it for bashing, and a tad bit for racing.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

only guys who have nuts run nitro
Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Personally I love Nitro

I got my 8ight 2.0 after being a big oval/on-road guy and I would chose nitro

I know this has nothing to do with Electric offroad but I've also ran alittle bit of it and it's not that exciting. Basically Nitro shows the true driver in you because electric is just rolling on and off the throttle and that gets boring after 3-4 runs
Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ace921000
only guys who have nuts run nitro
that's nonsense. It is a time/maintenance issue. Electrics are way easier to maintain and there are MUCH fewer tuning gremlins. Nitro has more of a special feel to it, if you got the time to work on it sure, but if you want to just play, electric wins..
Old 03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mlbracing
Personally I love Nitro

I got my 8ight 2.0 after being a big oval/on-road guy and I would chose nitro

I know this has nothing to do with Electric offroad but I've also ran alittle bit of it and it's not that exciting. Basically Nitro shows the true driver in you because electric is just rolling on and off the throttle and that gets boring after 3-4 runs
I got back to the hobby to vent off stress and have fun to get my mind of other stuff and just relax. learning and tuning picky engines isn't as relaxing as I was hoping

I guess a lot will depend in the setup. Get a motor that runs decent and reliable and you'll get more runtime in than some fancy italian motor that has to be perfectly tuned
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Friends don't let friends drive flashlight cars!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I do not have time to wrench on it during the week, I would like just to be able to go to the track and race and give it a quick clean when I'm done.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

I run nitro for the simple fact that not hearing the car scream makes me fall asleep. Seriously
Sounds like your a perfect candidate for electric though. Since they are relatively low maintenance and you don't have all that much time to tinker with it during the week.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

switched to electric about 3 months ago after running nitro for 8 years....I do not think I would ever go back to nitro for al the reasons already stated. I like to race not tinker endlessly.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Go Nitro!

Batteries are "STILL" for flashlights.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

I just find it funny the people who have a mature answer have over 500+ posts, those will non sense posts have below 500.

I've done both Electric and Nitro. Electric you just charge some batteries, put it in and go. Nitro you have to tune the engine, tear it down, clean it, put it back together, race, rinse and repeat.

Nitro has more excitement and the smell is just intoxicating, but if you don't have the patience to sit and tinker with an engine to get it JUST right then electric is your best bet to choose.

Electric is boring for people who LIKE to tinker and love to work on their cars to get them just perfect. Nitro is boring for people who want to get a car, put their electronics in it, and go, don't want to have to break an engine in then after 4-5 gallon, retire the engine and get a new one.

Nitro is going to be more expensive in the long run in my opinion. You're going to be buying a new engine every 4-5 gallons, maybe 6. I've got 20 year old electric motors my father handed down to me that still run perfectly.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think nitro might be my way to go for cost side, if I can find a good used motor pipe etc.

To go electric, convertion kit $90, brushless $250, battery $125 so about for $470 with good stuff, I've learned not to buy used electric stuff or get a used motor with clutch bell and everything for $150 are thes numbers close?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I think nitro might be my way to go for cost side, if I can find a good used motor pipe etc.

To go electric, convertion kit $90, brushless $250, battery $125 so about for $470 with good stuff, I've learned not to buy used electric stuff or get a used motor with clutch bell and everything for $150 are thes numbers close?
don't be fooled by the cost. Fuel now costs a pretty penny, so you will be dropping 30-40 bucks everytime. Glow plugs are 10 bucks or more for good ones. Screw up and you can damage the whole engine or hopefully just a conrod or something simple. May have to do some maintenance on the engine too before you retire it so that will be more $$$

I know you said cheaper is better, but reading this:
I do not have time to wrench on it during the week, I would like just to be able to go to the track and race and give it a quick clean when I'm done.
go electric, initial cost is higher but it will pay off in time, I kind of wish I did the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.