R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default Associated RTR 1/8th scale offerings

I am considering moving to 1/8th scale gas after running 1/10 electric for years. How do the RTR kis (Race Spec?) hold up for beginner racers. I know from my experience in 1/10th scale electric that the "entry kits" even when made by the top tier companies do not race 2/3rds as good as there race equipment. If I were to buy the RC8 RTR, RC8T rtr, or the SC8 would I be needing to swap out parts and upgrade right away just to finish races? Or are they truely race worthy? I remember years ago with the RC10GT that the RTR's with the .15 engine had trouble finishing 5 minute races (or even idling for more than 10 seconds) while the bump start .12 engined GT's ran strong.

I do not want to save a couple of hundred upfront just to be frustrated.

Tim
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO, it all depends on what you already have. I dunno about the new stuff from AE, but if the radio is junk and the servos are junk, you might be ahead to build a roller kit. But, if you have a good radio and servos already, then the RACE KIT is not that that bad of a deal, however, Team Losi RTRs come with a great radio that is DSM, has many racing adjustments and the motor (Mach 427) is a powerhouse of a motor, however a fuel consumer. The RTR chassis looks better on the AE stuff, but i do not know if there radio and motor is worth anything. If you have radio and motor, by roller, if you need radio and motor, buy the kit with the better radio imo.

You will def. need to upgrade servos in the Losi RTR.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I should have stated that I have a good radi that I will be using (if I get the RTR I'll switch it out). I also have Airtronics 358 and 257 servos (will those work for steering and throttle?). I have not other equipment for a gas car.

Tim
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimF View Post
I should have stated that I have a good radi that I will be using (if I get the RTR I'll switch it out). I also have Airtronics 358 and 257 servos (will those work for steering and throttle?). I have not other equipment for a gas car.

Tim
I tried to look up some info on those, but didn't find much about them. It looks like the 358 has 200 oz. of torque and .10 speed. That servo should be just fine for either position. If the 257 turns out to be slower, perhaps put it in throttle and the 358 in steering.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote