Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building a buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Building a buggy

Where do you start when building a buggy? What are good places to buy parts/engines online?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

start with buying a buggy kit..

there are many places:

amainhobbies.com
carolinasrc.com
tiltedrc.com
towerhobbies.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

whats a good buggy get to buy? what are the best companies, mugen? hpi? onka? I don't know much about any rc companies so I just need to get pointed in the right direction, and I don't want to make a 700 dollar mistake
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

go to your local track & see what buggies are popular. Then buy the buggy & stuff from your lhs. You will probly spend a little more, but they can nurse you through any problems in exchange for your business. amainhobbies.com going to be the cheapest place you can find stuff for the most part.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Well the major players in the 1/8 buggy and truggy field are Kyosho, Mugen, Losi, Xray, Jammin, and Associated. If you happen to choose a buggy from any of the mentioned manufacturer, you will do fine. Choosing a buggy is mostly personal preference, driving style, and sometimes parts availability where you are at (this is the last of my concerns because I buy most of my stuff online anyways). There is no right or wrong, just what you want to drive. All the mentioned manufacturer's price for their buggies is close to one another except Kyosho, being the most expensive out of the bunch by about $200 more.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

what kind of engine should I put in my buggy? what kind of pipe? what do u guys run?

How much do you think it would cost me to build a good buggy, start to finish?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get a HB D8 at Stormerhobbies.com $309 for the kit. Get a Go Tech 3 port race and a Dynamite 086, engine and pipe= about $225, Then you can go for which ever brand of radio and servos you choose. What I recommended to you is a greatly priced 2008 world champoin kit with and excellent and again buget "race" engine the recommended pipe for the engine "and that pipe and engine will hang with engines that cost twice the $ and last too as long as you take care of it". A $500 or a $180 engine will both last if treated right. I have seen GO's go up to and sometimes alittle more than 10 gallons. You can go alittle "frugal or buget" like with what I pointed you to but DO NOT DO IT WITH ELECTRONICS you will regret it. Happy motorin and hope I helped.