Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
I got a buggy roller should I go gas or brushless >

I got a buggy roller should I go gas or brushless

I got a buggy roller should I go gas or brushless

Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Default I got a buggy roller should I go gas or brushless

Money is the factor, and the track allows both. I have a cen matrix roller, but no motor, pipe, starter box, rx pack, and basiclly nothing to run nitro, I just wanted to try 1/8 buggy this summer and the roller was cheap.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Money is the factor, and the track allows both. I have a cen matrix roller, but no motor, pipe, starter box, rx pack, and basiclly nothing to run nitro, I just wanted to try 1/8 buggy this summer and the roller was cheap.
Go Nitro or Go Home
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Which ever you think you will enjoy more.. me personally I so go Gas.. nothing beats the smell and the noise!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I have had gas in the past, never had good luck but I have a little more knowledge of it now.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Nobody can really answer this question for you...it is a matter of choice, two totally different driving styles, and totally different hobbies...Nitro and EC are nothing alike..only you can decide which one you like better..Price is about the same to do both buggies raceworthy..My opinion is without the noise and smell of Nitro, you lose alot of the fun factor
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen a brushless buggy go and it seemed pretty sweet.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gas. Electric will get boring after a while (i know, i've done it). Gas is cooler
Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A buddy of mine converted an 8T to electric. I was jazzed to go check it out, as I've seen the nitro versions on the track and they look like lots of fun.

Watching him run it (and hearing it run, or more accurately, *not* hearing it run) reminded me a lot of my electric Traxxas Rustler. And that's not a good thing.

I know that electrics are very competitive compared to nitros, but for me, 90% of the fun is hearing my buggy scream down the straight, leaving a trail of nice blue smoke. Without that, I'd probably stay home.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Yep you'll be disappointed with electric after a while.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
It depends on your personal preferences. Both are probably going to cost about the same.

If you are more into the driving and setup, electric will probably be a better choice since there is no tuning. If you like the tuning and noise, then nitro.

I don't get bored with my electric on the track, but I guess for some people, making noise is part of the fun.

Be forewarned though, electric drives totally different from nitro and you really need to research getting a proper setup thoroughly with electric lest you will be throwing your money away.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go Hybrid
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you are 50 50 with it see from last years turn out at your local track of which class was bigger or did they let them run together. Now Nitro will be an ongoing expense as whith elec if you do it right the 1st time you will be finished, meaning dont buy them $80 motors get a NEU and be done with it and the esc get a Mamba Monster system they can be had for $250 motor and esc if you look around which is not bad at all. Then you will have to choose which elec set up to use. Techno is the shiznit to me because you get brake bais and a clutch and an elec specific chassis " If I ever went elec which I probably never will I would only go Techno" or you can go other routes. Novak even makes a kit for your buggy. BUT I AGREE NITRO IS THE WAY TO GO, but in the long run is more $.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What's funny is if you post this same thread in the electric section your going to get everyone saying to go electric and not nitro lol
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Gas. Electric will get boring after a while (i know, i've done it). Gas is cooler
I don't know, sitting and chasing gremlins in your tune gets kind of boring too

My personal experience, I have one brushless and three nitros. Nitros I'm always wrenching and tweaking and chasing the gremlins (sort of newbie), brushless is a no brainer, plug battery in and play. I've had WAAY more fun with the brushless

I'm hoping I just need to learn some more about tuning to get my issues squared away, because honestly I'm getting pretty tired of tweaking these Italian motors which happen to be really sensitive. I had an OS .12 like 6 years ago and man, it just ran, ALL time time, NO tweaking needed.. flip it over, do whatever, it would just RUN. I have not yet ran my nitros normally, just chasing different issues

I think it comes down to this, how much do you have to dedicate to this hobby? If you just want to enjoy it and have other stuff you do, go brushless. Charge batteries and drive, waay less issues. You'll REALLY enjoy it, trust me. On the other hand, if you have a good amount of time that you want to dedicate, and don't mind tweaking/wrenching as much as driving, then go nitro. You'll have lots of fun chasing weird leaks, bearings, clutch issues, etc.

I'm gettign pretty fed up with my nitros. I'm being patient hoping I learn enough to figure it out, but I got into this hobby again to have fun, and I haven't really been having any. I've thought about converting everything to brushless, but I've got two wicked motors that I really want to get running. Maybe down the road I'll convert....
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

I will say this after a weekend of practice and race. I spend mon-thur in the garage doing complete tear down and cleaning. If you don't have lots of time and patience I'd go electric, just not for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.