R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Nelstrodomous
Default Help w/water logged tires?

Has anyone found a solution to the problem with water logged tires? My foam inserts get water logged and then the damn tires get so heavy they rob the power from my truck. Is there a solid insert that's available to replace the soft foam ones? If so, where can I get 'em? Any "homebrew" ideas if nothing is available commercially? Thanks.. My truck is a Traxxas Slayer....
Nelstrodomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelstrodomous View Post
Has anyone found a solution to the problem with water logged tires? My foam inserts get water logged and then the damn tires get so heavy they rob the power from my truck. Is there a solid insert that's available to replace the soft foam ones? If so, where can I get 'em? Any "homebrew" ideas if nothing is available commercially? Thanks.. My truck is a Traxxas Slayer....
I think the molded foams work the best. I have them on my losi 8 and dunk them in water without any problems when cleaning. This is not the case with my sons hyper 7 as the factor installed tires have really thick foams which hold a ton of water. You can literaly squeez the tires like a sponge and water comes gushing out. You also run the risk of the glue coming off with all of the water drainage by squeezing.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

That's why most people put holes in the tires instead of the rims. Just cut a couple small holes in the tire , throw them on the car , and do a few passes up and down the track/road.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you cut holes in the tires, they tend to rip. The best way is to punch two holes opposite of each other or drill a hole in them. If water gets in them, it just flings it out.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

easiest solution is not washing them to clean them, i just brush mine off
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think my friend found the best way to make holes in the tread. If you dont have a leather hole punch, Hold a nail in a pair of vise-grip pliers and heat it with a lighter until its hot enough to melt a perfect hole in the tread. Its kinda smelly but it works great.
plus2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Leather Hole puncher's are cheep...like 5-10$.....do yourself a favor and pick one up for the next time your gluing wheel's...cuttin holes or melting holes is kinda ghetto when you ask me.....both have their issues.....as for water in the foams.....if your bashing in wet condition's it might be a wise idea to have a set of tires that are 100% sealed...as is no holes in the tire or rim and a real good bead to ensure they cant suck in any air......as per washing tires......i take simple green and a upgrade tire brush and get scrubbin.....i dont use very much just enough to moisten the dirt and scrub it off....if they are a set of Hard/Mediums i might take some WD-40 and toothbrush it on to get them a little softer.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
That's why most people put holes in the tires instead of the rims. Just cut a couple small holes in the tire , throw them on the car , and do a few passes up and down the track/road.
In all my years at the track I have never seen a truck spewing roostertails of water because of the holes people put in tires.

People put holes in the tires or rims to vent out air, nothing more.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
In all my years at the track I have never seen a truck spewing roostertails of water because of the holes people put in tires.

And those same holes will allow water in when washing. Which brings us back to what Integra suggests to clear them out.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post

I beg to differ.....95% of guys put holes in the TIRES for the powder dirt that like's to end up on the Inside of the rims from Floating in to the Loose stuff in the corners/and or a loose dirt track.......so holes in the tire=No more dirt in the foam's destroying them...Also for the washing factor....if you get some moisture in there...its got a place to go when you balloon them up on the strait....its common sence most dont realize till they Junk out a set of tires from the foams going to Sh*t.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote