R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   buggy truggy clutch problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/281489-buggy-truggy-clutch-problem.html)

audik 03-09-2009 09:39 AM

buggy truggy clutch problem

hi
i've installed brand new ofna 1.8g blue clutch shoes with 1.1 gold springs on a used clutch bell in an xray xt
this what the clutch looked like after an hour (or less) of run time

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_KhIlssr5MOg/Sb...0/PICT3553.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_KhIlssr5MOg/Sb...0/PICT3555.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_KhIlssr5MOg/Sb...0/PICT3554.jpg
what could cause that?
i'm frustrated 'cause that's a $30 clutch down the drain:flaming:
can you help?
p.s. i tried to embed the pics from picasa but no luck

audik 03-09-2009 08:57 PM

anyone?

imaxx21 03-09-2009 09:11 PM

does your drive train turn freely? almost looks like the clutch is being weighed down

Joey Powell 03-09-2009 09:13 PM

I'm not sure what type of shoes you were using before, but your obviously getting some major slippage. That bell might not have been concentric (out of round). Make sure you spray the grease out of your bearings then re-lube with a little light oil. I always take a Dremel with a sanding drum to the inside of my bells to scuff them up. Then spray it out with brake cleaner. This will give the shoe something to bite to and will remove any oil that may cause slipping. Do this with new and used bells when rebuilding.

imaxx21 03-09-2009 09:15 PM

thats an ofna or xray clutch bell?

audik 03-09-2009 09:37 PM

ofna bell on .28 axial spec 1 engine

luckyhomes 03-09-2009 09:53 PM

You said it was a used clutch bell with new shoes. The aluminum shoes weld bits of alum. to the clutch bell causing the inside of the bell to be smaller. Too much buildup will start to rub on the shoes all the time causing lots of heat and even more buildup. I dont know if this is what happened in your clutch. + 1 on what Joey said for prep work. If your going to use a old clutch bell you got to get some of the old buildup out. Soft high bite alum. shoes seam to leave behind more junk than the hard max life shoes. That was a good picture too. Those are some ugly shoes dude.

audik 03-09-2009 11:18 PM

thanks for the replies guys
p.s. photography is my other hobby

plus2ss 03-10-2009 08:27 AM

Wow thats nasty. Check your brake linkage at full throttle. I had a simillar propblem on my jammin. When the servo was at full throttle, the brake linkage was actually engaging the brake cams in the oppisite direction of nomral. To remedy this, i dremeled off the side of the brake cam that wasnt needed. Never had a problem after that. Hope this helps.

Integra 03-10-2009 08:40 AM

wrong shoes with Too much stall is the answer to your question....the 1.1's and the combo of 6061 Soft shoes caused excessive grip while the 1.1's were causing excessive slippage.....on a .28 you want to run a hard 7075 shoe with AS LITTLE stall as needed.........28's have the bottom end to overcome any clutch bog you might encounter.....i see this All the time..guys wanting more stall on the clutch so they spring them up...which leads to more heat and less shoe life.....get some Ofna Silver's and ONLY run the 1.0 springs and ill Guarantee you'll get at least 2-3 gallons of Solid running.

PS obviously replace that bell....its 100% garbage now....cleaning it would take quite some time and would never be like new again.

mbrienzo 03-10-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 5533868)
wrong shoes with Too much stall is the answer to your question....the 1.1's and the combo of 6061 Soft shoes caused excessive grip while the 1.1's were causing excessive slippage.....on a .28 you want to run a hard 7075 shoe with AS LITTLE stall as needed.........28's have the bottom end to overcome any clutch bog you might encounter.....i see this All the time..guys wanting more stall on the clutch so they spring them up...which leads to more heat and less shoe life.....get some Ofna Silver's and ONLY run the 1.0 springs and ill Guarantee you'll get at least 2-3 gallons of Solid running.

PS obviously replace that bell....its 100% garbage now....cleaning it would take quite some time and would never be like new again.

+1

Frank L 03-10-2009 10:09 PM

I have noticed that my Losi clutch bell becomes galded quicker and eats shoes like candy when the clutch bell had been sanded one too many times. I think too much material has Bede removed causing the clutch to slip and heating up the shoes causing them to been to the clutch bell surface or transfer to the clutch bell surface. Bottom line is when the shoes start leaving serious material on the clutch bell time to replace the clutch bell.

Integra 03-11-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 5537065)
I have noticed that my Losi clutch bell becomes galded quicker and eats shoes like candy when the clutch bell had been sanded one too many times. I think too much material has Bede removed causing the clutch to slip and heating up the shoes causing them to been to the clutch bell surface or transfer to the clutch bell surface. Bottom line is when the shoes start leaving serious material on the clutch bell time to replace the clutch bell.

stock set-up Will NEVER leave alum slag on the bell....the composite shoes keep everything nice and lubed and prevents stuff like this happening....If your having to sand the inside of the bell frequently...i would guess your running the wrong compound shoe and need to rethink your spring stall.:nod:

rfleck 03-11-2009 07:45 AM

I've been running 1/8 buggies for about 5 years now and have tried many differnt 3 shoe clutch combinations. If you can get a mugen clutch setup off of ebay for cheap, that is what I'd run. If you have a mugen flywheel and bell, here is another option which will last for quite some time:

Mugen clutch bell (scuff inside)
Dynamite Max Life shoes (scuff these)
Mugen Flywheel
Mugen pilot nut
Kyosho 1.0
Avid Revolutions

I ran the setup with dynamite shoes and kyosho springs for about 4 gallons. Of course I replaced the bearings every gallon and shaved the shoes when they flanged.

-R2- 03-11-2009 09:44 AM

I'm no X-ray guy but other things I see is that the flywheel platform where the shoes sit looks to be smaller in diameter that the shoes meaning that the shoes were already too close the the bell surface and as soon as you were idling the clutch was already transfering power, if you look at the shoe hinge area the bell looked like it was rubbing well before engagement I in the past I've put a clutch together in the Hyper 8 flywheel,nut and then the Ofna shoes and they stuck out just a tad causing an overlap, and from I've seen from X-ray with the special clutchbell they have but I don't about the clutch nut.