R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I use Hitec 7955TG servos and with just the 2 bands you can turn the radio off and it will completly shut the carb. Works great or I wouldn't have posted,
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
I use Hitec 7955TG servos and with just the 2 bands you can turn the radio off and it will completly shut the carb. Works great or I wouldn't have posted,
I'm glad to hear that.

That's exactly how I would setup my spring tension before I got a electronic fail safe. With the engine off, pull full throttle, turn off the radio, then pull the spring until it closes the carb and hook it to wherever it ended up on the manifold spring. I've hit every stage of this over the last several years. A couple of years with nothing. A couple of years with a spring that was hooked to the servo arm which is not really that great. After switching to the actual carb link I still didn't check if it could pull the servo back too. I almost had things strong enough with the one and only runaway I've ever had that the spring pulled it back to about 10% throttle. I'm still running a standard Futaba throttle that comes with the old radios S3003 or S2003 and it strains some but it works. And added a fail safe last year too.

I was trying to dig in a little deeper because by the comment that Domit made "As for the rubber band being too strong for the servo... buy better servos and that won't be an issue." I believed his comment was in reference to setting it tight enough that all different kinds of failure would be covered including needing to pull back a dead servo. I'm sure a couple of you may not have seen or experienced this. Best to cover everything you can think of and simulate.
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #33
Tech Master

The Hitec's I have are digitals and with the power cut off it don't take very much at all to turn them. You can push the front tires a little and they will go all the way to the other side, with my old analogs it took much more force to turn them.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I use a Futaba BLS352 servo and this spring (HPI) closes the carb nice. I still get over an hour on a NIMH rx pack.

rpm1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1968 View Post
I use a Futaba BLS352 servo and this spring (HPI) closes the carb nice. I still get over an hour on a NIMH rx pack.

If your throttle linkage pops off your carb in a crash that spring will do you no good. Move the spring from where you have it to a little bit to the left in the pic and hook it around the stud that sticks out with the ball on the end so it is on the carb, not the throttle linkage.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I use the GMK rubber band deal and so far have had good use with those. Seem to not stretch out and are just the right size.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Not liking it so far, but will this hurt the boot long term with the hair bands rubbing?

I'll have to try replacing the set screw with a long screw off the back opposite of the ball but from what I'm seeing now it will be at a big angle and may bind.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

wrap it around the carb base....not the high speed when you replace the set screw.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #39
Tech Master

I had mine around the carb base, and it looked like it would hold up the filter tube a little. I was worried it would dust the engine so I went around the HSN and it works GREAT, No binding, it's a rubber band how is it going to bind?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfnaJoe View Post
I had mine around the carb base, and it looked like it would hold up the filter tube a little. I was worried it would dust the engine so I went around the HSN and it works GREAT, No binding, it's a rubber band how is it going to bind?
It's not the return device that binds. If your spring or band pulls at the slide in any other direction than parallel to it the slide may bind. I've seen it happen myself. On some engines the angle that the band pulls at does not need to be that great to cause problems. Best to pop off the throttle linkage and pull the carb by hand with the band or spring on it to feel if there is any rough spots. It will be when the carb is being closed by the band that it could bind.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
wrap it around the carb base....not the high speed when you replace the set screw.
I replaced the setscrew with a normal screw. Doesn't seem to matter too much if it goes on the carb base down by the block, at the throat where the air filter goes or around the high speed needle. I detected a little bit of binding at times at one of those positions. But the band just clears the boot. I'll have to play with it just a little more.