R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #61
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
With all respect to OS, these engines ( all their High end .21's and .28's) need too much TLC...if you want them to last, they need new rods at the 2 gallon mark, and new bearings at the 2 gallon mark, they also need to be broken down and inspected for play, and slop every 2-3 gallons, I just dont have the time, nor all the extra money
well i have a block sitting here that has 3/4rds of a gallon on it and im not lettin it sit. i already ordered Mugen Ninja JX21 Piston/Sleeve and ill order the rod for it after its broken in as well.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have 4 OS's that all have a bit of time on them. The longest running one so far is 10 gallons, roughly. It still put's out good power. Not as good as my newest one that has a little over 2 gallons on it, but it works well.

The aren't the fastest motor out there. I have never heard OS claim they are. Maybe they have but I missed it if they did. What they are is a good solid engine with a very easy to control power band. They do get great mileage as well. I'm sure some will be able to get better mileage out of something different but the OS is still one of the better ones on the market.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with yours. They are truely one of the top engines out today.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I find that if you rush the break-in or break it in on race fuel (high nitro), the sleeves wear out fast on a O.S. We had a AL Speed with 6 gallons on it, broken in on low nitro and high oil on a break-in bench, then ran some more with the same fuel before going to race fuel. Even at that, the 1st gallon of race fuel had some oil added to it. The engine lasted us well beyond what the locals at our track have ran. We decided to drop in a new rod and go to straight race fuel and the rod bushing wore out in less than 1/2 gallon. I have since rebuilt the motor and went back to my break-in fuel and the engine is doing fine. At 6 gallons, it still had good compression with zero leakdown. I'm in the process of putting that piston sleeve back in a VSpec thats worn out now, when I find it, LOL!. It never flamed, ran hot and idle perfectly. If your engine still has metal pinch lock cold, it will not have good topend speed. Leaning the HSN to get more speed on a motor like this will prematurely kill the sleeve IMO.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #64
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
well i have a block sitting here that has 3/4rds of a gallon on it and im not lettin it sit. i already ordered Mugen Ninja JX21 Piston/Sleeve and ill order the rod for it after its broken in as well.
And you will then have an OS mill that will be awesome at the price of 2 new Nova+4's...that's the point I was trying to make..PS dont forget the TKO's
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
+1. I have had engines run with my speed but i've never seen another engine that made me consider buying a different brand. I rebuilt mine in it's 10th gallon. New p/s/r, tko's and a eb modded head button. Never seen anything rev and pull so hard the last half of the straight. Bottom end has all i would want, very linear. Never got less than 10 min from a tank. Until i see different i must say the 2060 pipe is it. 2050 killed my speed, run it on my eb mods v spec. The speed has to be tuned properly though.
I don't know about the 2060 (we didn't try that) but the Losi "2050 equivilant" is an absolute DOG on a speed. It works OK on a regular VSPEC, but not great, it is a little weak on that one too... it absolutely kills the speed though for some reason. I ahve a buddy with one and with the 2050 it was a very disappointing combo. It runs great with the JP-4 though.

And as someone else mentioned, the VSPEC likes an OS P3 plug... I assume the speed also does... that's what my buddy runs.

I personally run a VSPEC with am 053 pipe...

For those of you who want "stupid fast..." try a Werks B7 Pro with a JP1 (yeah, that sounds like a mismatch, I know.) It'll run great for the 5-6 gallons you get out of it if you get a good one.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I don't know about the 2060 (we didn't try that) but the Losi "2050 equivilant" is an absolute DOG on a speed. It works OK on a regular VSPEC, but not great, it is a little weak on that one too... it absolutely kills the speed though for some reason. I ahve a buddy with one and with the 2050 it was a very disappointing combo. It runs great with the JP-4 though.

And as someone else mentioned, the VSPEC likes an OS P3 plug... I assume the speed also does... that's what my buddy runs.

I personally run a VSPEC with am 053 pipe...

For those of you who want "stupid fast..." try a Werks B7 Pro with a JP1 (yeah, that sounds like a mismatch, I know.) It'll run great for the 5-6 gallons you get out of it if you get a good one.
A racing buddy is or was sponsored by werks. He blew the 2nd one at motorama. I let him use my speed and 2060 pipe. He was shocked by the power and the smoothness of power delivery. He's going back to OS.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

the title of the thread is "os speed=slow" so you did sorta say it was slow, if you're disappointed that should have been the title, "os speed=disappointed"

the speeds are all hype, not really faster than v-specs and definitely not $200 more faster. i'll never run "p"OS engines myself, seen too many fail. lots of fast ones but they seem to always poop themselves in the mains. funny thing is all the drivers walk away saying they will never get another, then the next week you see that shiny blue head sticking out again.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #68
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

novarossi
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
And you will then have an OS mill that will be awesome at the price of 2 new Nova+4's...that's the point I was trying to make..PS dont forget the TKO's
jaz, im gettin the +4 once this or my grp blows, im going to break it in and then replace the stock rod with a speed rod and get tko ceramics

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sorry..this MAY have been mentioned befor..but

what pipe are running AEFT2009??....if your not running a os 2060 pipe with the speed..i doubt you will see the full potential of this motor...
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Looking at some of the earlier posts in this thread, some people have their egos wrapped up in their choice of engines.

Story at 11.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #72
Tech Rookie

I have tried the OS2060 pipe found it to be the best with economy and power, tried P3 and P4 plugs, motor is run in as it has very little pinch when hot with no plug installed but has awesome compression.

To answer a question above, yes OS have not said it was the fastest engine but the OS Speed has hype surrounding it at tracks on forums e.t.c. and for 500 bills I am disappointed.

The OS will get another outing tonight but I have learned one thing in my 10yrs of racing, speed isnt everything!!! I just wished I didn't fork over 500 bills to learn it!!!
AEFT2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not sure if you posted earlier but how many shims are you running on the head button and what fuel?

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #74
Tech Adept

My OS Speed has the stock shim count and a stock head button... My Ninja JX has stock shims but the EB-Mods head button...

Ninja JX = faster and more power everywhere!!!

Last edited by FactoryTeam08; 03-13-2009 at 02:25 AM.
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #75
Tech Addict

The truth is there is going to be variation among OS speed engines. So, it is inevitable you would see some performance difference.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote