R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i agree it takes tremendous time and efforts to develop new technology. at same time, i can also sense the eagerness here in this thread...

the general anticipation is high but mine is fading...
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #152
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i just dont see how it could be that much better. unless he is making them where you can shim the inside like a real shock....i just dont see how.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1harper View Post
i just dont see how it could be that much better. unless he is making them where you can shim the inside like a real shock....i just dont see how.
This is the thing with this hobby. We are using technology that is so out dated with our shocks. Our shocks couldn't be more archaic. There is so much technology in the shock department that nobody had even looked at until now. I can't wait to see what Tex is doing.
The hobby needs more peopleike Tex that have a background outside of the rc industry to develop proper solutions for our little toy cars.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #154
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Branch View Post
This is the thing with this hobby. We are using technology that is so out dated with our shocks. Our shocks couldn't be more archaic. There is so much technology in the shock department that nobody had even looked at until now. I can't wait to see what Tex is doing.
The hobby needs more peopleike Tex that have a background outside of the rc industry to develop proper solutions for our little toy cars.
Our shocks really are not "that" archaic. Full size off road race shocks use the same orifice principal, which gives a very progressive valving curve. Making the rebound curve different from the compression would be of value, but we are not creating enough force with our light chassis to use shims for anything but flapper valves, which I have done, and it works very well.

edit: though making them adjustable and position sensitive would be very effective.
thuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuren View Post
Our shocks really are not "that" archaic. Full size off road race shocks use the same orifice principal, which gives a very progressive valving curve. Making the rebound curve different from the compression would be of value, but we are not creating enough force with our light chassis to use shims for anything but flapper valves, which I have done, and it works very well.

edit: though making them adjustable and position sensitive would be very effective.
As a shock engineer in the full size industry, I agree and disagree. A piston with holes drilled in it is about as archaic as it can get. Different size holes for compression and rebound with a check valve would be the next basic step, but as it is, most people don't have a clue how our shocks work now. Adding more elements is just going to confuse most people.

Even the most basic full size shocks are leaps and bounds ahead of us.

There are many things that we can do to make our shocks work better. The problem is that most people don't understand the principals so they just think that what we are using is fine. Tex seems to understand the physics behind this and I can't wait to see his product in use.

I have a question for the masses....What does the shock shaft size have to do with dampening?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #156
Tech Regular

Quote:
As a shock engineer in the full size industry, I agree and disagree. A piston with holes drilled in it is about as archaic as it can get. Different size holes for compression and rebound with a check valve would be the next basic step, but as it is, most people don't have a clue how our shocks work now. Adding more elements is just going to confuse most people.
I agree and disagree also..

I design full scale off road race shock internals, and more importantly, how those internals function. For the most part, most high speed off road valving profiles use a very progressive valving curve, which looks very similar to a plain orifice hole on a shock dyno. But, the initial bleed shims are adjustable for chassis control, which we would have a hard time generating any kind of precision with such a small scale. We could use shims to blow off more than an orifice hole, but that is much more common on road for bump absorbing, vs big landing bottoming resistance and control. Not that it can't be done, but would you want that?

I agree adding these variables to shocks would add major confusion..

Quote:

Even the most basic full size shocks are leaps and bounds ahead of us.
Agreed, but they are designed for mostly on road chassis control and mild bump control

Quote:

There are many things that we can do to make our shocks work better. The problem is that most people don't understand the principals so they just think that what we are using is fine. Tex seems to understand the physics behind this and I can't wait to see his product in use.

I'm curious to see the outcome too..

Quote:

I have a question for the masses....What does the shock shaft size have to do with dampening?
For the actual "dampening" nothing, but it will ramp up the spring rate more compared to a smaller diameter shaft, and add more seal head friction.

thuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuren View Post
I agree and disagree also..

I design full scale off road race shock internals, and more importantly, how those internals function. For the most part, most high speed off road valving profiles use a very progressive valving curve, which looks very similar to a plain orifice hole on a shock dyno. But, the initial bleed shims are adjustable for chassis control, which we would have a hard time generating any kind of precision with such a small scale. We could use shims to blow off more than an orifice hole, but that is much more common on road for bump absorbing, vs big landing bottoming resistance and control. Not that it can't be done, but would you want that?

I agree adding these variables to shocks would add major confusion..

Agreed, but they are designed for mostly on road chassis control and mild bump control

I'm curious to see the outcome too..

For the actual "dampening" nothing, but it will ramp up the spring rate more compared to a smaller diameter shaft, and add more seal head friction.

It is very refreshing to talk to someone else who gets it

What company do you work for, if you don't mind me asking?

I think something simple to start with would be a good thing. Something that made the shocks more progressive would be a good start.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #158
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I was privileged enough to be let in on the secret. One of my friends actually tested a set of the shocks. What makes them so awesome, but so unique has nothing to do with any of the traditional concepts used in full size shocks, neither on, or off road.

Colin PM
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #159
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I was privileged enough to be let in on the secret. One of my friends actually tested a set of the shocks. What makes them so awesome, but so unique has nothing to do with any of the traditional concepts used in full size shocks, neither on, or off road.

Colin PM
Of course not, they are magical.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #160
Tech Elite

Quote:

Colin PM
No PM here?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #161
Tech Lord

Quote:
No PM here?

check again!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #162
Tech Elite

Quote:
check again!
Got it!

WOW!!! is all I am going to say until Tex reveals his brilliant concept to the rest of us.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #163
Tech Lord

Quote:
Got it!

WOW!!! is all I am going to say until Tex reveals his brilliant concept to the rest of us.
Maybe now you can help me defend Tex, without giving away his secret?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #164
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Roma View Post
Of course not, they are magical.
so was Puff the Magic Dragon! we all loved him though didn't we...

Guys just be patient, stop bashing the poor guy, you will be sorry you did later. I dont know why there is such a delay, but they are coming and they are wonderful and when you see what makes them so wonderful it will put the doubters to rest and just make everyone faster at the track
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #165
Tech Elite

Quote:
Maybe now you can help me defend Tex, without giving away his secret?
My first post wasn't enough?