R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default SC8 nitro vs. electric?

which would be faster on the track? electric SC8 or Nitro? i was watching a video on youtube that it only cost under a hundred dollars to make the sc8 electric so i was just wondering which would be better?
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
which would be faster on the track? electric SC8 or Nitro? i was watching a video on youtube that it only cost under a hundred dollars to make the sc8 electric so i was just wondering which would be better?

Only a $100 for the conversion but the motor/esc will run you another $300 depending on what you go with. The new SC8E is scheduled to release in April for around $430 which would be better than paying $600 plus the electric conversion. I would think that the electric would be faster on the straights but the electric components add weight so if it's real technical the nitro could be quicker.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My buddy has already pre ordered his SC8e I have a reg. SC8 I would not get rid of mine for nothing You would have to spend alot to get an electric going but then no fuel but if you ran it alot you might have to buy lipo's at least once a year Pro's and Con's both way's but nothing like the smell of NITRO on race day for ME anyway

Electric is to much like a light switch not smooth unless you spend a ton on equipment
dravengary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 194 (99%+)

Electric would be quicker no doubt about it. If it is a large flowing track then maybe nitro. But electric out accelerates the average nitro easily.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

there is a local guy, im friends with him. he converted his sc8 to electric and it flys, he can keep up with a lot of people and he hasnt been racin long

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Tires are gonna be the great equalizer. I would think the stock tires kinda negate the torque/acceleration of the electric motor.

On a large track where the motor would be allowed to wind out, I think the electric would have the overall advantage. It's really gonna depend on alot of things.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I believe if you have the right setup the electric will take a nitro. But you gotta look at the positives and negative of each one:

NITRO

Positive:
- Cheaper initial cost
- Run times (You can just fill up the tank)
- If racing, at the moment you have longer races most of the time
- More tuning options in breaking bias,etc compared to most electric conversions. Yes there is some electric conversion kits that have this option. But most don't.
- In most cases are lighter and have better weight distribution. (Depending on the kit you go with)

Negatives:
- Slower acceleration
- Slower top end
- In the long run it can be more expensive
- Constant tuning
- Can't run in some public areas, this may not effect you.

ELECTRIC

Positive:
- Faster acceleration
- Faster top end
- Can be cheaper in the long run
- Basically plug and play
- Not as loud and can run in more public placing.

Negatives:
- Higher initial cost
- Having to wait to charge batteries depending on how many you have
- Electric races at the moment max out at around 15min.
- On most electric conversion kits you can't adjust breaking bias, and some other tuning options.
- In most cases are heavier and not as good weight distribution. (Again depending on the kit you go with.

There most likely more, but this is all I can come up with at 4am. LOL

You have to remember though, the extra power of the electric means nothing if you can keep the car under you. I personally like electric at the moment because of less maintenance, and my neighbors don't hate me. I personally like the sound of nitro, but my neighbors don't LOL. But the really only negative that bugs me is there should be longer races. Having battery changes in an 1/8th electric open class would be awesome. That way you pit main is a huge part of your team. But that would raise the price even more for a electric to get the extra batteries. But I would spend the money in a heart beat if they started doing that. Maybe once 1/8th electric get bigger this could happen.

Last edited by shanty140; 03-06-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Tires are gonna be the great equalizer. I would think the stock tires kinda negate the torque/acceleration of the electric motor.

On a large track where the motor would be allowed to wind out, I think the electric would have the overall advantage. It's really gonna depend on alot of things.

Good point I still am running mine pretty rich with temps only at 175 with body on and it already has great bottom end . The stock tires will only put down so much power the rest is useless not that it ain't cool to see
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Tech Adept

its like 89$ for the converstion kit then you need battiers, motor, esc, and a charger
ruggydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggydriver View Post
its like 89$ for the converstion kit then you need battiers, motor, esc, and a charger
No need for any electric fan to buy separate conversion now

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/36956
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

thanks for all the info.
how much would a good brushless motor be? like one that would beat nitro?
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote