R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   cooling heads (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/280542-cooling-heads.html)

r1nsho 03-05-2009 09:29 AM

cooling heads

1 Attachment(s)
anyone use Nova Race Pro Cooling Heads? They say they cool the engine up to 40% better!!!! But do they work?

doubletap 03-05-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by r1nsho (Post 5514157)
anyone use Nova Race Pro Cooling Heads? They say they cool the engine up to 40% better!!!! But do they work?

I used those for the OFNA RTR engine, and its noticeably cooler that the stock head( it was sold and it makes me turn the engine leaner until it broke the conrod). bling factor, cooling factor is great, but its always good to have the STOCK cooling head since its a part of the design of a specific engine. I guess.
and yet you don't want your engine that cold.

losi_racer 03-05-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by doubletap (Post 5514664)
I used those for the OFNA RTR engine, and its noticeably cooler that the stock head( it was sold and it makes me turn the engine leaner until it broke the conrod). bling factor, cooling factor is great, but its always good to have the STOCK cooling head since its a part of the design of a specific engine. I guess.

tisk tisk haha ... now your like me :)

Duster_360 03-05-2009 05:41 PM

I got tired of seeing my 2.5Tmaxx running 290-295F here in the summer when its 95F outside - this is with good smoke, it just run hot. I put a Nov2 head on and temps dropped to 250-255F. Don't think that's 40%, but it is 40F. Nova makes a real nice looking head.

RiverDiver 03-05-2009 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by r1nsho (Post 5514157)

Not sure where your running at but here in the South..Louisiana/Mississippi when it's 95 or 100deg and heat index is 110 w/o wind there is a definate need for them. I have seen other racers use them with good results.

If you do run a large cooling head be sure not to lean it out too much

r1nsho 03-06-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by doubletap (Post 5514664)

you say you dont want to run the engine that cool, but cant you lean it out more and still run at 210 250 ish? it should still have plenty of lubricant because its not hot enough to burn it all off? just my thoughts. if im wrong let me know. im still pretty new at this.

RiverDiver 03-07-2009 01:53 PM

200 deg is perfect 250 for me is high

losiracer78 03-07-2009 03:10 PM

A lot of guys dont tune to temp anymore that the old school way. But you dont want you mill to get so hot that it burn off all the oil and yes Riverdriver in the south where were both from it does get very hot in the summer and the heads do help.

Jaz240 03-07-2009 03:14 PM

+1...Its all about the smoke, and the performance..but we do still check temps..its a real good way to assure your tune is good..It has nothing to do with how you tune, but it will tell you if you are off tune to a certain degree, and if you need any aftermarket cooling head..you are doing something wrong

losiracer78 03-07-2009 03:19 PM

That is very true I run all my mills with stock heads and never have a prob.

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5522994)
+1...Its all about the smoke, and the performance..but we do still check temps..its a real good way to assure your tune is good..It has nothing to do with how you tune, but it will tell you if you are off tune to a certain degree, and if you need any aftermarket cooling head..you are doing something wrong

RiverDiver 03-07-2009 09:37 PM

Absolutely, I tune for performance with plenty of smoke but always religously keep a temp gun in the pits!