R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

First my vote is for a RB S5, S7 If you wanna just be drunk on crazy stupid power a C6. Will quench your power and speed addiction. Your cup shall runneth over . However whats your application car and use? RB's are only second to OS for ease of tuning. They are second to none when it comes to longevity. Keep in mind power is only as good as the person who wields it. If you have not mastered the use of you present engine more power and speed is only going to make you slower on the track.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Addict

If you are really comparing a GRP to an RB...you have never ran a RB.

When I talk motors, it is not..."my GRP ran with him down that staright away"

I am talking:

1.Quality
2.Tunabilty
3.Quality
4.Bearings
5.Longevity
6.Quality
7.USABLE Power
8.Carbuerator

I have alot of mills: Speeds, EB VSPEC, EB EXTECH Trinity DRAKE, etc. It is MY opinion that my RB C6 is the best motor I have ever had. I am on 7 gallons now and the power has not changed, still is has good as it was on the 2nd gallon, it still has great compression, I just replaced the bearings cuz the motor is still so fresh I know I have alot more to go. And as those who own a C6 know, the bottom end is just awesome.

My idea of a great motor is just more than how fast it is. Alot of my Speeds only lasted 4-6 gallons yet had great power and tuned easy, the EB VPEC (NO COMMENT), EB EXTECH (NO COMMENT), DRAKE was a good motor.

I have 2 LOSI nuts that I race with, and they hated their GRP's!! and have switched to Novarossi's.

Again, just my experiences, I'm sure alot of people have had better luck than I have had with some of these motors, so this is just my experience. I'm not here to argue whats best, just sharing my thoughts.
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i like both of them so i will give you some equal info....the RB ws7III in a buggy is a bad mofo, runs well smooth and strong and they will outlast anything. the GRP is good as well maybe more mid to bottom and the idle is out of this world. i liked them both...it would be which one was more in my price range to make the decision

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post

I am talking:

1.Quality
2.Tunabilty
3.Quality
4.Bearings
5.Longevity
6.Quality
7.USABLE Power
8.Carbuerator

I have alot of mills: Speeds, EB VSPEC, EB EXTECH Trinity DRAKE, etc. It is MY opinion that my RB C6 is the best motor I have ever had. I am on 7 gallons now and the power has not changed, still is has good as it was on the 2nd gallon, it still has great compression, I just replaced the bearings cuz the motor is still so fresh I know I have alot more to go. And as those who own a C6 know, the bottom end is just awesome.

My idea of a great motor is just more than how fast it is. Alot of my Speeds only lasted 4-6 gallons yet had great power and tuned easy, the EB VPEC (NO COMMENT), EB EXTECH (NO COMMENT), DRAKE was a good motor.

I have 2 LOSI nuts that I race with, and they hated their GRP's!! and have switched to Novarossi's.

Again, just my experiences, I'm sure alot of people have had better luck than I have had with some of these motors, so this is just my experience. I'm not here to argue whats best, just sharing my thoughts.

i had a GRP non-tuned engine for 2 gallons.... and had a good deal to get a S7 non-tubro (the standard first gen) for the price of the S7, RB's are far greater engines compared to GRP.... as what SPEEDSKI sez, they last LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGER than any other engine! My S7 is on the 9th Gallon and still has VERY tight pinch. Bearings are very well intact! no leaks.... and still has alot of power! just need to get the right pipe combo... and you have an awesome engine! oh yeah, did I mention I'm on my 9th gallon and still has a very tight pinch(meaning turning flywheel with finger when the pipe and filter are on... and engine is cold. still hard to turn) So far, the best engine I ever had. my extech .24 has yet to prove it.
KYOSHO INFERNO GT (GymKhana RC - Project)
Gumball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Cant go wrong with any high end Itilian mill in my book,But if I had to pick one it would be the GRP
Jr XR3 Radio
Jr Servos
ProDriver1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Count Total

Current Standings

RB - 7
GRP - 7

All tied up, very interesting
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Very interesting thread here. Both are great engines with different personalities all in there own. I have had great luck with both brands but have more run time on the Nova based engines and have nothing major to report on faults or issues. Just your basic maintenance schedule and you should be fine. I have just started yo run the GRP's this season and so far very impressed. Honestly, they tune and run just as good as the Nova based engines. I have less than a gallon on mine so I am not a good testimony to them yet but I have modded quite a few and guys have told me they get 11-12 minutes of runtime and have gotten over 12 gallons on them before needing an overhaul so i don't think reliabilty or longevity is an issue here. The coolest engines in a buggy I have done so far was a pair of turbo cranked C6's. They both lasted 13+ gallons and they were awesome to pilot. A handful but alot of fun!! In my opinion it would depend on bang for buck. So far the new S5 L2C and Non-tuned .21GRP are hard to beat for the money. Before the tuned GRP came down under $300, my choice was the P5X and now I would go with the new P4 for an engine around $300. If money is no object, the C6 all the way and soon the new Nova Toro. With a 17.6mm stroke, that will be a stump puller of a .21 and will be the alternative to a .28 in a truggy. Sorry not much help on the score keeping but just pointing other engines that could fit the bill.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #23
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My cousin has 2 GRP Tuned 21's. they were both run in the same. they have both run the same amount of fuel. they run like 2 different motors.
One of them you would swear could move a house. the other is a pig, it would be luck to pull its own weight.
Alot of people have seemed to have the same problem with these motors. You can get a good one or a bad one. So if you go this direction hope to get a good one

I have 2 RB's, a WS7III and a WS7II. they both have more power than either of my cousins GRP's and they both rev out far beyond any GRP i've ever seen. The WS7II has gone through 10gal before I had a tuning mishap and scored the sleeve but i've now rebuilt it and its going as hard as ever. I even ran it in on the same old rod. i have now changed the rod but there has to be something said about a motor that can do 10gal and be run in twice on the same rod before it needs replacing.

Novarossi micron match there pistons to there sleeves. This gives your engine a much longer life. the run in is less stressful on the bearings and rods so that the life of the internals are extended.

So in my opinin you cant go wrong with an RB

Another motor a lot of people around here are now running is the new Sirio. it screams and has been wearing quite well. so it might also be worth a look

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I've seen the GRP's run and seem really nice, but never ran one myself. I run the rB C6BB7T in my RC8T truggy and have not one complaint. I'm a married man with 4 children and cant afford a new mill, sio i'm forced to buy used. And both my C6's have well over 7 gallons on them and have been pinched once. I've also had the WS7II and III. Both of those were power houses as well. Tuning is really easy and will last unless the conditions change, but you really never have problems with that. Just my 2 cents.

Chuck
cbaranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I still have a RB C6 with 15+ gallons on itthat I keep for a spare. I just lent it to a fellow racer at Motorama to put in his buggy. It ran all weekend without an issue, it was just too much to handle. I also have 2 other C6's and a turbo S7, (I have no L2G engines) all of which are running great. Aside from replacing the bearings before they go bad and some minor maint.they should last a good while. But there are too many variables in this hobby to determine how long an engine will last.
markfanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Add another vote for RB. My WS7II has over 5 gals on it, still great pinch, easy to tune, no flame outs Just put a rear bearing in, didn't really need it just some PM. I ran against some GRP's on Sat, and was going to buy one, till I seen them run it person. They are really pickey to air temp. changes. And my RB pulled them on the straights and hung with them in the tight stuff.
So I am staying with RB, But I am looking to get a new Ninja just to see what it's about!
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Tally

RB-11
GRP-7

I’m kind of leaning towards the RB now. I have had one previously and it worked like a charm until the main bearing died twice due to bad fuel. I just wanted to see what the GRP’s were like before. I bought a new engine.
Nitro Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #28
Tech Adept

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post

I am talking:

1.Quality
2.Tunabilty
3.Quality
4.Bearings
5.Longevity
6.Quality
7.USABLE Power
8.Carbuerator
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have stop to write here 3 or 4 times, and i just have a hard time saying which to get. I personally run GRP motors. I love them.

But RB makes a great motor. So everyone you have voting, is voting because its what they run. No one wants to run something and say something else is better. Both are great quality motors, thats all i can say hands down. Best way to hand this, buy both, try them out, and see which you like best.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

They are both awesome engines. But all Im saying is if you can get the grp tuned for 280.00 that would be the route I would go.