R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default clutch is sticking. need proper clutch setup

Okay I just took my engine off my hyper 7 to spin the clutch and it hardly spun at all. It was real sticky. I blew two bearings in my clutch a few weeks ago and it just hasn't felt the same. Also, I think I'm missing some shims. I only have two for the entire clutch setup. I put one on the outside of the clutch bell between the screw and bell. And I put one on the inside ontop of the first bearing in the clutch. Am I supposed to have any more shims in there? It is weird because my clutch seemed to spin good last night, then it just starts sticking. I'm thinking I need more shims. Any advice guys?
ace921000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Shims will affect bearing rotation/speed if not properly installed or wrong sizes are used, they ultimately set your endplay as well,reference your manual for your specific model. I would inspect shoes for wear......clutch springs are cheap enough to just replace, same goes for bearings, rebuild to manual specs......you want the entire assembly to spin freely, as for endplay, you want approximately .4mm of CB endplay......hope this helps. cheers! TW
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace921000 View Post
Okay I just took my engine off my hyper 7 to spin the clutch and it hardly spun at all. It was real sticky. I blew two bearings in my clutch a few weeks ago and it just hasn't felt the same. Also, I think I'm missing some shims. I only have two for the entire clutch setup. I put one on the outside of the clutch bell between the screw and bell. And I put one on the inside ontop of the first bearing in the clutch. Am I supposed to have any more shims in there? It is weird because my clutch seemed to spin good last night, then it just starts sticking. I'm thinking I need more shims. Any advice guys?
First thing that I noticed is you said "And I put one on the inside ontop of the first bearing in the clutch." That would be the wrong place for that shim it should have went on top of the flywheel nut. A brief description of shim and CB placement.

1. First place shims on top of flywheel nut to allow clearance. So CB spins freely with no drag. Use the least amount of shims it takes to achieve this usually one is enough.

2. Then add inner CB bearing, CB and outer CB bearing

3. Heres the not so tricky part but takes a few tries. You need to add shims to the outer bearing around the CB screw. These shims should fit on screw however be small enough to fit inside of bearing. You will need to place enough shims. So there is no more than 1 shims amount of back and forth play in CB after tightening. There should be no wobble or side to side play in your CB.

3a. when using loctite on CB screw only use enough to go inside the thread. No Gobbs of loctite or dripping loctite. Do you have the correct size shims if not get the right ones.

4. Once you have accomplished the above now place your engine back on. Make sure it is meshed and squared correctly or you will be back to step one again. Mesh and engine square are big CB bearing killers. You DO NOT need expensive bearings $1 bearings will last plenty long if you have done everything correctly.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks for your help. I will put a shim between the flywheel and bearing and one on the outside between the screw and bearing. I'll see what that does. If I need more shims then I guess I'll buy more.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I have a total of 2 shims in my clutch. I put one between the first bearing and the flywheel or clutch shoes, and one on the outside between the screw and the outer most bearing. My clutch won't spin freely. I think I'm missing some shims.