R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default RTRs that are any good

Hey guys, I am really thinking of getting into racing either buggies or truggies soon. I have had a few rc cars and trucks and lots of planes and helicopters so I have r/c experience. My only racing type truck was a Losi XXX-NT when they first came out. It was just ran around in the back yard though, I never got into racing then. I have been looking at some of the RTR packages and some of them seem to be pretty good deals but are any of them good for racing? Or will I be better off buying things seperately? I really don't know enough about car/truck engines, exhaust, etc. to know what is good. I don't mind spending a little bit more to get good stuff but I don't want to spend money I don't have to. Any suggestions?
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This thread will turn into an argument about RTR vs. kits.

But for RTRs, the Losi 8ight RTR is the best value around. Good radio, excellent engine, and they're dirt cheap now.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Losi eight
Hyper 7 TQ Black
AE RC8

Those are the only 3 I would buy..You will get a ton of replies people recommend what they drive, but seriously all RTR's are just not up to the task..They all need better servo's, Radio's , pipes, etc. But one of the above 3 will get you out to have some fun
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept

The 8ight was the one I was leaning to. Is the engine that comes with it any good? I like that the radio is a Spektrum but it only has 2 model memory. I have thought about selling it and getting a dx3s since I like the telemetry gadgets.

I understand the debate on the RTRs, the same thing happens with helicopters.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Tech Lord

IMO the Mach 427 (Losi) and The Hyper .21 (Hyper 7) are the two best RTR engines out there..I would lean to the Losi only because the radio is so much better, and actually worth $ if you try to sell it..Im not sure of the radio and engine that comes with the AE
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you are serious about racing you'll spend more upgrading a RTR to race quality then just going out there and dropping $1200 to do it right the first time. Been there done that. The Mach 427 is a good engine just does not get good fuel mileage. The Losi is a great RTR but you'll have to put 4 shoe clutch in, shock towers will need upgrading, shock end caps need upgrading, the motor should be upgraded to allow bump start, servos are very low quality and will burn up very quickly, It has low quality shock shafts and hinge pins. You can race it. Do yourself a favor and get a kit, a race engine, high end servos and at least a DX2.0 radio. Do not skimp on the servos.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
If you are serious about racing you'll spend more upgrading a RTR to race quality then just going out there and dropping $1200 to do it right the first time. Been there done that. The Mach 427 is a good engine just does not get good fuel mileage. The Losi is a great RTR but you'll have to put 4 shoe clutch in, shock towers will need upgrading, shock end caps need upgrading, the motor should be upgraded to allow bump start, servos are very low quality and will burn up very quickly, It has low quality shock shafts and hinge pins. You can race it. Do yourself a favor and get a kit, a race engine, high end servos and at least a DX2.0 radio. Do not skimp on the servos.
1+.... I hate to say it,but he's right.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have to say +2 but the AE rtr radio is the best out there under the dx2. The AE's engine is nice also, they actually redid it just for the RC8 and RC8T. I know someone that was on a budget and used it and changed out the carb to 1 with interchangable venturi's and did well with it. I had 1 of the older pro .28's and it held a tune the longest of any mill I ever had and I got 10 gallons out of it. The RC8 has probably the least lesser quality parts added to it rtr to kit than any other so thats a good thing. But I still say get a kit and buy your own everything else. I tried what you want to do before and I could have done better just getting the kit and picking what I wanted from the start and would have came out cheaper. Look into the HB D8....

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I see where you are coming from. I really don't want to spend that much on it right now. I am more interested in just going out and having fun really. If I win a few races that is great too. I am not afraid of upgrading things over time but I just don't want to buy a piece of junk that I'll regret either.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post

He could not have hit the nail more squarely. I bought an RTR to see if I was going to like racing, and it almost made me quit. You can't get a good feel for what it is all about until you have some quality equipment. You will spend a ton of money on something you are going to sell (RTR) and take a beating when you sell it. Good equipment will hold its value better if you take care of it and be half the cost in the long run. I don't mean to sound like a butt. However there are a couple of suggestions I have for you. 1. Wait until you can afford the race spec stuff to start. 2. Buy used race spec stuff and go through it. Again best of luck to you and whatever you decide. This is just my opinion, but I had to decided to sell all of my stuff when a guy offered me a deal on a race spec kit. Buying the kit kept me in the hobby and was money well spent.

A side note: With my brand new RTR I spent $100 on the first day I raced it just to get it to hold up to finish the race. Then started replacing servos rear ends and the $100 list goes on and on........

Hope this helps.
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I have been considering used stuff as well but I'm worried about getting something that is worn out. I really need to get out and watch some of the races and talk to some of the local guys and see what they are running.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-mike View Post
I see where you are coming from. I really don't want to spend that much on it right now. I am more interested in just going out and having fun really. If I win a few races that is great too. I am not afraid of upgrading things over time but I just don't want to buy a piece of junk that I'll regret either.
You said it here. Unless you are extremely lucky, you will not have as much fun. I could go 10 min of a 20 min main with mine. I would tell my pit guy I will see you in 10 min every week. Sure enough in 10 min of my 20 min race I was done.
There is NO FUN in that.

I have been considering used stuff as well but I'm worried about getting something that is worn out. I really need to get out and watch some of the races and talk to some of the local guys and see what they are running.

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!! Talk to them between rounds when they are not busy. They will help you decide
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm really just trying to get ideas right now. I have even considered selling my Raptor 90 to get something better since I don't fly it too much anymore.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Not a buggy or truggy

It is not a buggy or truggy kind of both If their is a class at your local track I would go for an Associated SC8
dravengary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Mike, Dont let anyone change your mind about buying a RTR...I think It's a mistake if you are new to this hobby to start out investing $1200+ when your not even sure if you have the time, patience, money, or interest for this hobby yet..Try it out with a RTR..There is sooo much to learn, so much to do, so much to spend...This hobby is 50% work, 25% money, and 25% fun, and you need to make sure you like it enough to invest in it..I started with a RTR, and the more I got into it, the more I upgraded...Dont forget you can do a little at a time..( start with servo's) Once you have a true picture of whats involved, then you can decide if you want to go all out...you can always sell your RTR, or keep it for parts if you buy the kit of the same car..