R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Mike, Dont let anyone change your mind about buying a RTR...I think It's a mistake if you are new to this hobby to start out investing $1200+ when your not even sure if you have the time, patience, money, or interest for this hobby yet..Try it out with a RTR..There is sooo much to learn, so much to do, so much to spend...This hobby is 50% work, 25% money, and 25% fun, and you need to make sure you like it enough to invest in it..I started with a RTR, and the more I got into it, the more I upgraded...Dont forget you can do a little at a time..( start with servo's) Once you have a true picture of whats involved, then you can decide if you want to go all out...you can always sell your RTR, or keep it for parts if you buy the kit of the same car..

Very good points
dravengary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

The new CEN Matrix R2 RTR Buggy its crzay good ... as test already did 3 big races on it just changing shocks for the old ones i was using ... and the car its holding perfect ...

cya,

E-Mail : pato_concha@yahoo.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I would check around your local tracks for a good deal on a used buggy. Alot of the time you can talk to the local track owner & they can point you towards a great deal. If they point you towards something then you can always do more home work on here to see if everything checks up alright. My kyosho st-r set me back practicly nothing. I picked it up, a europ ws 7, jp2, & a pair of great servos all for $180.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I had the chance to run the Matrix R2 today and for the price, its a great deal. $275 ready to move.

Tabushi= smart man.

(I still bleed Losi though)
kvnjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I haven't really looked at the matrix yet. I saw it comes with an engine, does it come with a radio? Actually it doesn't really matter since I want to get a good one anyway. I don't know if the LHS carris parts for it though so I'll have to check on that.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

note that the losi 8 rtr has been discontenued and that there in the middle of coming out with a newer version and this goes for the 8ioght buggy only idk about the truggy
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Get the Caster ZX1-R RTR. Amazingly GREAT value for money! However I am only talking about the chassis, pipe and engine. The electronics really sucks, so are the foam inserts. I had one I know.

Another one is the GS Racing CL-1 RTR. THis is a much more solid package.

These two are just the unlisted alternatives. Top tier would be Losi of course.

But my best advice is to get your stuff used. You'll have so much fun without feeling sorry for it Once you're serious (racing), you'll know how to spend your money which you won't mind starving a day or two
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Mike, Dont let anyone change your mind about buying a RTR...I think It's a mistake if you are new to this hobby to start out investing $1200+ when your not even sure if you have the time, patience, money, or interest for this hobby yet..Try it out with a RTR..There is sooo much to learn, so much to do, so much to spend...This hobby is 50% work, 25% money, and 25% fun, and you need to make sure you like it enough to invest in it..I started with a RTR, and the more I got into it, the more I upgraded...Dont forget you can do a little at a time..( start with servo's) Once you have a true picture of whats involved, then you can decide if you want to go all out...you can always sell your RTR, or keep it for parts if you buy the kit of the same car..
plus one.

I have been club racing my 8ight-b RTR for months. Everything is stock, aside from tires and the servos. I only changed the servos out recently. I race in the sportsman class and I usually place in the top 3, out of 9 or so racers. There's another guy who races an 8ight-b RTR at our track. He will be moving up to the expert class... and still racing the RTR.

All of that said, I just bought an 8ight-b 1.0 kit to replace my RTR. My RTR is not broken, but I wanted to use my truggy starter box on it and the shock towers are beginning to bend a bit. With the low cost of the 1.0 kit right now vs. upgrading the RTR, it made sense for me to get the kit. I'll have a lot of spare parts to take from the RTR if I need them.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would get a Losi Eight 1.0 kit. Given how cheap they are, you probably can get a 1.0, motor, servos, and starter box for the cost of a RTR kit.

This hobby is a money pit. However, the pit gets even deeper when you try to do it on the cheap. Do it right the first time. IMHO, I can see how RTR would keep people out of the hobby because they spend so much time trying to fix stuff and replace inadequate parts it can increase their frustration when all they want to do is drive the car.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Buying used is the way to go for certain things. Do not buy a used engine from ANYONE unless you know them personally and know how they ran that engine. Servos is another thing that I would not by used. Outside of those two things used is a great way to save money and get into this hobby. You could probably get into it for $700 to $800.

1/8 scale nitro racing is not cheap and once you've invested $500 in an RTR you will end up upgrading rather quickly (two $100 servos right off the bat). I ran an RTR for 3 months and the first two weekends of racing and practicing I dropped $300 in servos and shock towers. Now, I was racing at the Nitro Pit which is a huge track with motocross style jumps. I was competitive with the RTR, that's not the problem with RTR cars, they will win races, but were not built for serious racing.

If you are not ready to spend at least $800 to get into 1/8 nitro racing look at 1/10 scale electric racing. It's a little bit cheaper to get into, but will be alot cheaper over the course of a racing season.

The slash class is very popular at a lot of 1/10 scale tracks and that is meant to run box stock RTR style right from the box. Check those out as well.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #26
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

$100 servos are not necessary....Hitech, JR and Futaba all make some great 120OZ..high speed servos in the $40-$50 price range...This is a classic example of spending way too much money without being sure..2 $50 servos will be fine to start..and they will both make great Throttle servos should you decide to upgrade stearing servo to a $100 house lifter
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
$100 servos are not necessary....Hitech, JR and Futaba all make some great 120OZ..high speed servos in the $40-$50 price range...This is a classic example of spending way too much money without being sure..2 $50 servos will be fine to start..and they will both make great Throttle servos should you decide to upgrade stearing servo to a $100 house lifter
Perfect example of not doing it right the first time... Been there done that with those $50 jobbers. But then again, it could have been rookie set up job on my EPA's. 200oz is the min I'd run.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
Tech Adept

I've got some Hitec servos that have around 130oz. I think. I will probably try those first. If they die then so be it.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #29
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
Perfect example of not doing it right the first time... Been there done that with those $50 jobbers. But then again, it could have been rookie set up job on my EPA's. 200oz is the min I'd run.

Dude, this is not an argument with you...you need to remember that there is only 1 Nitro Pit..Most tracks are the size of the one at HobbyTown in Tucson..Tracks like that do not need 200OZ servos because there are no 30 FT jumps..As long as EPA and servo saver are set correctly 120 oz servos will work just fine...now us poor slobs ( yea right) that race at the pit,,,,well we have to do everything, bigger, better, and faster or The Nitro Pit will swallow us up
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok... let me start off by saying that for an RTR, the LOSI is GREAT value. Keep in mind that the Losi is somewhat high maintainence though... compared to other buggies at that level that is.

ANY RTR is going to have crappy servos. So plan on buying servos in the near future.

The Losi engine in the RTR is actually a GREAT engine, although a bit on the "thirsty" side. It is the same as the Sportwerks .26 V2. Good quality, easy to tune, easy to break in, and plenty of power. It is VERY close to my VSPEC on power- more bottom end torque, but not capable of as much RPM and not quite as much peak power. I know someone who ran it in the Nationals in his truck.

Also, another point is the radios that come with RTRs. Even the good quality ones like the Spektrum that comes with the Losi lack some features that you probably will want. Specifically, they don't have exponential on the throttle and steering. Exponential on steering is useful for taming a twitchy car- and the Losi IS twitchy and aggressive, make no mistake about it! I'm not bashing it- that same sensitivity is what makes it so fast and capable.

I don't think an RTR is the worst thing you could do... just be prepared to upgrade (at the very least) the servos.

And truggies are much more forgiving and easy to drive than buggies. Just a point to think about. Buggies are more "connected" to the driver, but they are traction limited compared to a truggy, so a little less forgiving for that simple reason.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote