R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #106
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks ,I hope to get it a little closer to track tune some time tommorrow.Our new track layout is soaking wet right now so I will be hittin the asphalt in front of the house.
lowcountrytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #107
Tech Adept

6 tanks so far...this engine last forever on a tank of fuel,even with it as rich as it is.Cant wait to see it open up.I am still around the 1/2 throttle area,209 temp.
lowcountrytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

nice!

Last edited by rgrassey@me.com; 04-05-2009 at 10:28 PM.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #109
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Still running fuel through mine, and still happy with it. I probably have about 1 gallon or so through it, and it finally has past the "metal pinch" stage, and just on compression now. Has tons of compression, and runs great. Plenty of power all over. Fuel mileage is still around 8 minutes, im guessing. Pitting @ 7 minutes, it looks like I would get about another minute or two. Temps are still wanting to be about 220-230. At the moment I am running Byrons Gen2 11%.. Im going to try the 9% when I go though this, and maybe the temps will come down a bit. No biggy though. I ran it in practice the other night. It was running at 205, but didnt have the normal power. It was just practice, so I didn't bother to race tune it. I guess 220+ is just where it likes to run.

Anyone else getting different temps from their Non Tuned GRP?
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #110
Tech Fanatic

I heard it lies to run around 190 but thats when all the pinch is gone and is fully broken in. I heard that after the gallon mark temps start to decrease evrytime you run it because its breaking in all the way.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #111
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Ok, so I have only half a gallon on my non tuned grp and there is still quite a bit of metal pinch. I am still running the motor on the rich side with temps around the 185 mark. Surprisingly the motor makes good power at these settings. I decided that I wanted to lean the bottom out for a more crisp response and after getting the temps up to 195-200 , this motor hauls! I am just so surprised that a std. plug engine with an unmodded crank or sleeve runs this well. I mean the connecting rod isnt even knifed! I am using the 7mm restrictor with the stock plug and so far this is the best under 200.00 motor I have ever had, at least for performance, only time will tell the whole story.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

haha this is the only motor I have ever had!!! Ya it really is a solid motor so far. Idles well and is fast.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #113
Tech Adept

I'm at the 1 gal mark now. My temps are dropping (from 210 to 190-195) even after leaning out the bottom 2 hrs. It could have been because I was running at different track a/o because outside temps were warmer. Ran the last two tanks without a heat gun. Bottom end still feels fat but mid and top scream. Thinking it may be the pipe I'm using (SH engine z-car kit stock pipe). I will put my JP3 back on and see.
drdsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

any one have a used or new piston for the GRP engine?? tuned or non-tuned,it dosnt matter. id like to buy it if you do!
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #115
Tech Adept

1.5 gallons into it. Race tuned. She's running at 195-205 degrees and finally has the bottom end I was hoping for. Only 2 things I haven't reported on are run times and longevity. Running a rich bottom end I pitted at 8min (didn't mean to go that long, just forgot about pitting ) Concerning longevity, only time will tell.
I'm the kinda guy who likes to warm up the motor gentley. Some folks do drag race style speed runs to get their motors up to temp, but I preffer to run a few laps slowly. Compared to other motors I've had, this one takes a while to warm up. A 2 min prerace warmup just isn't enough time. Instead I'm using the heat gun. Saves track time and fuel.
drdsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic

nice tips, got a gallon on mine and its running strong. I'm hoping to get 8 gallons atleast.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #117
Tech Adept

Default strong enough for a 9.5 lb truggy?

hey, do you guys have any experience with this engine in a truggy? if so, what do you think? i have a cen matrix truggy, BCE edition. the dry weight [2500 mah nimh rx battery on board, no fuel] runs between 9 lbs and 9 ozs [jconcepts wheels] and 9 lbs and 12 ozs [aka wheels]. i'm curious to know if i'd be able to pull it off with this engine... standard or turbo button, you know?

also, the button head on this engine... i read somewhere that the non tuned engine head is "one piece"... what exactly does that mean? i ask b/c, if possible, i was going to order a tuned turbo button with the non tuned engine. you know, that way i could use up the turbo plugs i already have from my axe rossi cobra evo one engine and continue to run turbo plugs for better performance and mileage.
wriffwraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #118
Tech Fanatic

just get the tuned one if your going to do that. The nontuned is supposed to hav a bit more bottom end than the tuned which should help a truggy. I havent tried it but im sure it has enough power. Also what your best bet would be would be to get one of the powerhouse modded nontuned version. they run for like 280 and will be better than the non-tuned and tuned. That will have enough bottom and top for a truggy easily.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

So how much fuel did anybody else have to run through there motors before they "really" were broken in. I have over a gallon through my non tuned grp and the motor just wont hold a tune.
It still has a lot of pinch but every time I start the motor up it is pig rich and not making any power. I let the motor warm up, retune the carb until the motor runs good but by the time I run the tank low and come in for a refuel it richens right back up! I am not worried about numbers on the temp gun but I do use it for a reference and it seems the motor likes to be happy around 250. I find I am chasing the tune because I have yet to get anything consistent. While I was running the motor in for the first couple of tanks I figured this was acceptable but now that I have over a gallon on it I am starting to get a bit frustrated. The motor does not flame out, it does idle well, and it does have great power when it is in tune but the tune just keeps changing. Also does anyone feel that maybe the bottom end needle is more sensitive than the top or vise versa? Anyones thoughts? The motor is good just cant get it fine tuned yet.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #120
Tech Fanatic

ya my bottom does seem sensitive. I was running mine today and I got it tuned and it was at 250 and I immediately richened it up. Mine is running right at about 210 now with a butload of smoke when I hit the throttle and a good amount on the top. It drives fine so im not worried. I have just under a gallon on mine so mine isnt fully brokeen in yet. Mine does hold a tune though so im not sure about our problem.