R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks great. A few tips from my break in. The stock needles are pretty good if your putting some tin foil on the head to get up to temps. Defanately make sure to preheat to atleast 200 for the first 7 or 8 starts because its very tight. After about 8 tanks you will finally see some dcent power and I have just started leaning mine and it looks great. Also this thing idles all day long with little adjustments.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What fuel are you running grassey....I am def looking forward to running it in.Did you heat cycle or use the idle method?
lowcountrytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Right now I had some left over byrons 20% sport from my 8ight t rtr but once I finish that up I am going to use 30% race byrons. I used the heat cycle method. Six 3 min cycles varying throttle and keeping the temps at 200 with head wrapped. Then 4 4 min cycles with the head unrapped and the hsn leaned out a bit to get temps to 200. What are you going to use? It was a preatty easy break in.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
Right now I had some left over byrons 20% sport from my 8ight t rtr but once I finish that up I am going to use 30% race byrons. I used the heat cycle method. Six 3 min cycles varying throttle and keeping the temps at 200 with head wrapped. Then 4 4 min cycles with the head unrapped and the hsn leaned out a bit to get temps to 200. What are you going to use? It was a preatty easy break in.
I thought you told me you ran Nitrotane 20% Race?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

yes I did but I put that whole gallon through my 8ight truggy and my friends truck. When I went to the hobby shop they had like a 2 gallon special of byrons and I thought I would try and I like it fine. Also I am going to try the byrons 30% next because its cheaper than nitrothane here.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Odonnell is readily available for me,I was running the 20-but with this eng I plan on going to 30.
lowcountrytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

cool. I hve never run 30 so I want to see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well finally have a little over 1/2 gallons through my non-tunes GRP, and I have to say, that this engine rips. I have ran the tuned, and now the non-tuned, and power wise, they are nearly identical. The non-tuned seems to have a little more bottom end power, and about the same top. I ran down the straight away with other tuned GRP's and was even, if not a little faster. Ran just as fast as any other motor out there.
Fuel mileage, is not the same though. This engine seems like it will go just about 8+ minutes. My Tuned used to go 10+. This may change as I get more fuel through it, but for now, it is still a Keeper!
I am running this engine in my D8, using Byrons 30% gen2. I tuned this motor to sound/power/smoke before temping it, and the temps are higher than with the tuned. I have to assume due to head design. This engine is running good at 220-230 consistently with good smoke still.
LSN seems to want to run on the lean side. Basically the same as the tuned.
I bought this engine to use as a back up for my tuned (once I rebuild it), but am really considering just getting another non-tuned. I have seen these on sale for a great price!
If you are on the fence about this engine, I would not hesitate. It seems to be a great engine so far!
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

after reading the grp engine thread for a couple days and asking questions about the non tuned version I stumbled upon this thread. I was told to get the dynamite 053 with it. I will be ordering it tomorrow so I will be back to ask some questions for sure. Ive been racing electric offroad for a couple of years but I have become bored with it and have decided to buy a D8 to build. I will be ordering this combo tomorrow from amain. this will be my first nitro engine so I will have a bunch of questions. a friend will help with break in cause Ive never done it before. Just to be safe !!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Cool, Ya this was my first nitro engine and to tell you the truth the break in was a breeze. Today was my first race and I kind of screwed it up but when my car was running the engine was great. I was running an 086 pipe and the bottom end was a bit soft but the top was great.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Default re

I dont think the soft on the bottom was yer pipe like I told ya I think it was your clutch set up grabbing too quick[engaging ]for your first time racing you did well
toofless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #72
Tech Addict

did you break it in using the instructions or did you do anything different. I assume it comes with instructions for break in. It will be my first nitro engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
Cool, Ya this was my first nitro engine and to tell you the truth the break in was a breeze. Today was my first race and I kind of screwed it up but when my car was running the engine was great. I was running an 086 pipe and the bottom end was a bit soft but the top was great.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

What I did was I did the heat cycling method. Hey toofless wat losis springs do you rcommend because I am ordering the clutch bell right now. The gold springs?? Also how do I stop my motor from moving? I loctited it like 4 times but it still moved. Does it just need more time to set?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #74
Tech Regular

The 086 takes the bottom away from every engine I've ever ran. And, yes you'll need to spring the clutch tight to make it work. The 086 is all top end. It helps the engine rev like no other but, it also make the engine and pipe run hot, and is not real good for milage. The stiff clutch set-up also is hard on the clutch shoes and bearings.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Default re

the 086 pipe wont take bottom away from your engine with the smooth header!!I dont see where you get the idea that a stiffer clutch spring is hard on bearings I run 1.1 springs in mine and they last 8-9 race weekends or more,you should use the 1.0 springs for best results I think for you yes for best results loctite and let sit overnight,but I think the biggest problem was your clutch bell is worn quite a bitand with chassis flex it seemed like it was moving also your screw came loose on the bell also
toofless is offline   Reply With Quote