R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The non tuned version that you are asking about is a great engine. It is easy to tune and I have seen it last well into the 8+ gallon mark. I sold my last GRP at 6.5 gal and it was still pulling strong. Break in took almost a full gallon before it loosened up. I ran the stock 2053 GRP pipe but and 053 pipe will work fine. If you are on a larger track then go with a high speed pipe like any 086 series. The different brands are all very similar. The non-tuned version takes a standard plug and the head button is built into the cooling head. It can be changed to turbo but it will cost 90 bucks, 30 for the head button and 60 for the head (not worth it).

If you have an extra $50 bucks I would highly suggest spending 280.00 for a powerhouse modded GRP. Mark at powerhouse takes this same non tuned engine and performs a race mod on it. I purchased one in Jan and all I can say is wow. The powerhouse modded engine outperforms my tuned version in every aspect. I am getting 11.5 min on a tank in my 8ight t 2.0. every aspect of the powerhouse modded version is better. Increased bottom end, mid-range is off the chart and top end is higher. This engine will just sit there and idle for days soo smooth. Engine temp was never above 220 on a very tight track. I am very pleased with the engine from Mark and his work is fast. He just got another shipment and they will go fast. I liked the powerhouse engine so much I ordered another one. Check out the powerhouse thread.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think i am going to trade for this guys engine and run it in and see how I like it. At 3 gallons or so I will asses and if I feel I need more I will send it in and get it moded. So should I just run the odonnell 99 suggested above or what other plug is good frank L? Also would you think that this is a good beginner racer engine?

Here is a vid of my track. Would the 086 be good here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zlo46d79Y4
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

O'Donnell plugs are good . I prefer OS plugs but O'Donnell work fine, The GRP plugs work good but they are expensive. I only run hot plugs but thats my personal preference. For that track stick with a 053 Dynamite, Ofna, Nova, GRP they are all about the same.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Frank L, can you answer this?

Is it possible to put the non-tuned head on the Tuned engine so as to use a standard glow plug? Turbo plugs are just not for me at this time.

The Tuned engine is still sealed in the box. Would I be better off selling this tuned engine and buy one of the modded Non-tuned .21s from Mark? Like I said I just dont' want to get into using turbo plugs right now. So however I can avoid using them would be great.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote