R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Break In Engine on short grass?

Can you break in a rc Engine on short grass? I have a mate, who will be breaking in his new engine tommorow. And has no Concreate near him for miles.. and he was wondering if its on to break it in on short grass/ Dry mud?? is that ok or not? cheers!
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Avoid the grass. Too much rolling resistance. Too much load on engine for breakin. Grass doesn't seem like much, but it really holds are car back.

Try the hard mud if its smooth enough. You could allways get a Hudy breakin stand for engine if your planning on running nitro cars alot.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Yea, om getting mixed feedback-Posted in other forums some say no not grass, some say yea its fine. Just watch the temps alot more.. and 1 guy only break in on grass? I if possible will find somewhere with concreate.. but then. It getting somewhere to plug in my heat gun...
Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Can you break in a rc Engine on short grass? I have a mate, who will be breaking in his new engine tommorow. And has no Concreate near him for miles.. and he was wondering if its on to break it in on short grass/ Dry mud?? is that ok or not? cheers!
Short grass will be fine, just don't bury the throttle as you might be tempted to do, the clutch will absorb any excess load you may be putting on the drive-train. Idling the engine on a stand with no load would do more harm because the engine will lean-out on you. Just make sure the needle is rich and you keep an eye on engine temps.

all will be good
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk t View Post
Short grass will be fine, just don't bury the throttle as you might be tempted to do, the clutch will absorb any excess load you may be putting on the drive-train. Idling the engine on a stand with no load would do more harm because the engine will lean-out on you. Just make sure the needle is rich and you keep an eye on engine temps.

all will be good
Yea, I totally agree. I may have no choice to do it on the short grass. As otherwise I dont have my heat gun-Needed.. Its a OS-Vspec.. I will check it very often.. If I think its doing more harm than good I may have to find somewhere else. But I will try it there 1st.. And check temps lots.. The mothed Im using basically only need its run it total like 25 mins.. Then on sunday im down the track to slowly lean it out.. so Hopefully all good.. Thanks guys..
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Can you break in a rc Engine on short grass?!
long or short doesn't matter, as long as it's rolled tight. just make sure you have plenty of munchies, because breaking in an engine can take awile.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Tech Master

Best post I've seen today JR!

I break in initaly on short grass ,with light shoes & hard springs as I like a high idle for break-in. It does create a pretty good load though wich I like also. You can run plenty of lube & still keep the motor temps up that way.I havent noticed a difference in eng life or power doing it in the backyard compaired to break-in on the track & roughly 1/2 my motors are done on SHORT grass. Best bet is a break-in stand if you can barrow one from a friend of a friend or something though,just more controlable but less fun & breakin is the part of RC I hate the most.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It does not matter what surface you run your car on during break in, just make sure its rich, and check your temps every minute or so. The worst way to break in an engine is idling on a stand, or starter box
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Tech Master

JAZ the stand I refer to is an engine break-in stand not a starter box or car stand, I assumed orig poster knew what I ment.Suppose I should have clarified just in case. It is the most efficent most controlled way to break-in a engine.If you buy a motor that has been broken in by a modifier it was broken in on a stand.I do start break-in on the starter box for the first 2 1/2 tanks when done in a car,just over 200 deg F.This be what I mean for a break-in stand.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...9&kategoria=69
or this

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=18870
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
JAZ the stand I refer to is an engine break-in stand not a starter box or car stand, I assumed orig poster knew what I ment.Suppose I should have clarified just in case. It is the most efficent most controlled way to break-in a engine.If you buy a motor that has been broken in by a modifier it was broken in on a stand.I do start break-in on the starter box for the first 2 1/2 tanks when done in a car,just over 200 deg F.This be what I mean for a break-in stand.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...9&kategoria=69
or this

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=18870
LOL, I know Butch, I wasn't referring to your engine break in stand..I was replying to the thread starter..I meant Car stand, or starter box..The engine must have load to break in properly, and get up to temp
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Tech Master

Figured you did when you used the word idle,but when I was reading your post I dawned on me I rely way too much on the word ASS U ME & thought the orig posters brain might not work like mine.So linked just in case.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Thanks alot guys, appreciate the help.. yea I will check the temps more than normall too.. cant wait!