Search

MC 59 and MC 8 glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default MC 59 and MC 8 glow plugs

Hi everyone!!!!

For some reason my sons Hyper 7 was blowing the mc 8 glow plugs. I have been using the MC 59's in both the hyper 7 and my Losi 8 B. They ran out of the 59's and I had to put an 8 plug in his buggy. It kept blowing plugs.

I finally swapped as I had a 59 in my losi and put it into his and I took the MC 8.

My question is three parts.

1. Does the Losi 8 427 like the the Mc 8 over the 59 plug. The reason why I ask is when I put the glow plug ignitor on on the 8 plug my ignitor would register full charge.

2. Does the hyper 7 .21 prefer the 59 plug? Once i swapped to the 59 i had no more problems. The only thing is using the 59 plug my ignitor showed that it was almost dead. This was not the case because when I used it for mine it would show full charge.

3. Depeding on the plug you use will the battery in the ignitor read different as far as how much power is left in the charge?

would it be a better option to run 59's in both?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Hi everyone!!!!

For some reason my sons Hyper 7 was blowing the mc 8 glow plugs. I have been using the MC 59's in both the hyper 7 and my Losi 8 B. They ran out of the 59's and I had to put an 8 plug in his buggy. It kept blowing plugs.

I finally swapped as I had a 59 in my losi and put it into his and I took the MC 8.

My question is three parts.

1. Does the Losi 8 427 like the the Mc 8 over the 59 plug. The reason why I ask is when I put the glow plug ignitor on on the 8 plug my ignitor would register full charge.

2. Does the hyper 7 .21 prefer the 59 plug? Once i swapped to the 59 i had no more problems. The only thing is using the 59 plug my ignitor showed that it was almost dead. This was not the case because when I used it for mine it would show full charge.

3. Depeding on the plug you use will the battery in the ignitor read different as far as how much power is left in the charge?

would it be a better option to run 59's in both?
I don't know if I can fully answer your questions but I'll try to help out a little.

The meter on the glow igniter measures current (amps) in the circut. For the most part the meter should read close to the same from one plug to another. Excessive resistance will reduce amp draw indicating a problem somewhere in the circut which could be caused by the igniter itself, the element, or dirty/poor contacts. For what it's worth the meters in glow igniters are not precision insterments and they get bounced around a lot. So don't put much faith in their accuracy.

You should be able to run MC-59 plugs in both engines without much problem. If your using 30% fuel you should try to run a colder plug like the MC-9. You would need to re-tune the engine for that plug. If the engine has problems idleing or flames out often you should go to a hotter plug. You also want to check the plug elements when ever you pull them out. If the element is distorted, pushed in or pulled out you have a detonation problem or a lean condition and you should either richen the HSN, change to a colder plug, add a head shim, or run lower nirto fuel.

Sometimes manufacturers have a bad batch of plugs go out. Your problem withe the MC-8 plugs sounds odd. There are other things that can damage plugs quickly like dirt, or an internal engine problem. But you would see it with either plug I would think. Maybe one a little faster than the other? When you say blowing plugs, what exactly do you mean? What happens to the engine, what does the element look like? Does it still glow, if so, whats it like compared to a new one?

Last edited by John Schafer; 03-02-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'll make it simpler for you. The motor blowing through MC8's needs some attention. The #8 is a cooler plug than the MC59 so it has a thicker, more durable coil. This meant to me that #1, the rod in the 427 could be developing slop, that always kills plug life, #2 the rear bearing could be getting slopy, this has the same effect of a sloppy rod and usually gets worse, fast. It only takes a tiny bit, or #3 the deck height/head shims are too low (less likely). The #8 should be the better choice if you're running 30% nitro or as John suggested, even the MC9.