R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

I had a 8800S do something like this and JR service said it could have been a issue with the board going.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

http://www.jrradios.com/ServiceCenter/Warranty.aspx

JR/Horizon does have one of the best CS dept's in the industry. Look into sending it in. Also, if you are "in good" with your LHS, see if he can write up a receipt for you
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

gonna ship it out to horizon,not real sure about the warranty since i have no recipt so have to wait and see,thanks again guys
monteman1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You View Post

JR/Horizon does have one of the best CS dept's in the industry. Look into sending it in. Also, if you are "in good" with your LHS, see if he can write up a receipt for you
sorry i had to say this ...is the awesome support at horizon the same support that tells people the stock settings on a grp .21 tuned are 3.5 turns out lsn and 6.5 turns out on the hsn sor ry i couldnt resist

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I have a 9100s that was doing this in my 8ight-B. It was a new servo and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. If there was no pressure on the wheels it would jitter in a very annoying way. Everyone that saw me on pit row would ask or comment on it. Several people said it was common with digital servos and the 8ight, something about harmonic interference shaking the servo, and it's constantly trying to find center. I just ignored it since it didn't happen when the buggy was on the ground.

Well about two weeks ago I noticed that it wasn't turning smoothly to the right, it would pause about halfway to full throw. I figured the servo was finally done and took it out to replace it. After taking the servo out I noticed that the steering was still catching at one point and had tension through the whole range to the right, with no servo attached. I took the front end apart and found that the collar under the spring on the servo saver had pushed itself out from the stock dialing and that was causing a slight steering bind. I corrected that, put the 9100s back in and it worked perfectly. No jitter and no travel issues. I've run it for about 40 minutes since then without any problems.

Long story short.... check for something binding before writing it off. That slight tension on the steering was enough to cause the servo to fail to find center.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #21
Tech Master

JR has never asked me for a reciept & I have sent in like 6-8 9000 series "T" & "S" servos,mostly "S" versions I wont use those anymore.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

I've never had it happen to a 9100S, but it used to happen often to the 8800 series. What happens is -- the middle gears in the servo are held upright by a pin that seats itself in a brass bushing in the top of the case. If you pull the servo apart and look at the top case from the inside, you can see this brass bushing. The bushing will actually break the molded plastic circle, and is able to move. The fluttering is due to the servo continually trying to center itself, but it can not because that bushing is moving 1-2mm side to side. That small movement from the inside of the case translates to anywhere from 1/4"-1" at the wheels of movement in some cases.

Under extreme conditions (taking a direct hit to the tires from another vehicle, landing sideways on hard surfaces, etc) if your servo saver is too tight, that instant force travels thru the horn/main gear, and puts all the pressure on that center pin. Which in turn puts pressure on that brass bushing. If you look at the 9100S case, there are reinforcements molded into the plastic to hold the bushing in place, which are not there in the 8800 series case. Again, I've never seen it happen to a 9100 in person, but I definitely can see it happening if the force is right.

Easy fix - get a new case. I can't track down the part number right now, but all you need is the top piece with the ears. Although the turn around time at Horizon is widely known as one of the best in the industry.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You View Post

JR/Horizon does have one of the best CS dept's in the industry. Look into sending it in.
+1

I sent mine in and got it back in about 4 days .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just like every one elese said, replace the top half of the case of send it in for warranty.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote