Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Caster MK2 Grenade Thread >

Caster MK2 Grenade Thread

Caster MK2 Grenade Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam-E
STS was last year, this year its the MK2!!!
LOL, let us know how you like it SAM and please post up the video when they drop one in the space shuttle...that was classic

For the rest of you who are flaming me, relax please..I was only bustin on SAM

It was a joke...hell I cant tune well enough for any engine anyway.. i use mice running on treadmills to power my buggy
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

I understand your concern. It took a lot of cojones to ok the "Grenade" name on the motor, but it was a calculated risk that I felt was necessary.

As you proved, the name recognition is there, now we have to prove it is more of an antonym than a reality.

So far we couldn't ask for better results as they are built extremely well, priced fair, and perform on the track with durability.....
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

i took the engine apart today and the internals still look great! i have heard of some people having problems with the connecting rod and bushing on the GO's but mine looked brand new. so far i'm happy. i will be running it next weekend at nitro fever so i'll have a better idea of how it performs in a race after that.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

SAM-E with another marvelous thread.....seriously people who own the engine post info...I admit grenade is an interesting name
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just started breaking mine in yesterday. Only got 3 tanks through it before race time so did not run it in the truggy. Ran buggy only. The pinch is CRAZY on this thing. I thought some of my Go's had a tight pinch, HA! Cannot wait to get it ready for some racing!

I did however find my needles set lean from the factory. Had a hard time getting it to idle and had to richen it up alot.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

We have sold over 30 of them.....Someone else should be able to reply.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Who's selling these engines?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey all,

I'm a Caster Driver and from my limited nitro experience I must say its pretty reliable in my opinion. Only 1/2 a gallon of fuel on her but with all the advice from fellow team driver:

1. For break in make sure needles are untouched
1.5 if you decide to touch them the ballpark was flush on both LSN and HSN
2. Heat to 220 *f
3. Make sure crank is at BDC
4. Quickly press it on the box and BAM

To comment on the "getting colder as you run it", I too experience the same things however the air temp in my neck of the woods is 35-45 so it just makes sence for now. What I do to keep the temps acceptable is to wrap some foil around the head and that keeps the temps pretty consistent.

Now when it gets warmer I don't know how it will act but I'm sure someone will have figured it out by then.

As for popularity in my area, I've quite surprised especially with all the hate talking going around with the Caster name. Either its just friendly trash talk but my locals were impressed with it on the track and its price (mill/header/pipe) under $300 I think that's fair.

I hope people understand that I'm new to nitro but with the support for my teammates and Caster I'm sure I'll be taken care of. So if you're the polar opposite I'm sure you too will be impressed with this motor and the support from Caster.

Rudy
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default engine

I ran the motor at a big meet here in Australia (Bundaberg nitro challenge) it was great did not flame out once, heaps of power i got as high as 6th in qualifiers but qualified 10th only to break my car in the semi finals .When i got home i decided to pull it apart taking the the backplated off i noticed a little slop in the brass sleeve in the conrod, (doesn't suprise me with the amount of pinch) the motor would have about 5litres on it now, i happened to have a new axe rossi conrod laying around and after measuring it all up i found it was a perfect fit, so it will do till i find a genuine conrod, my opinion is the motor is worth every penny if not more!!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

mike at caster (aka Hak) has rebuilds and conrods in stock. i went ahead and ordered one for insurance.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, we have rebuild kits, but holeshothobbies bought all the conrods that we had available separately......

Looks like another item to add to the list.....

I think we have 6 grenade still in stock at casterracingusa.com

http://www.casterracingusa.com/produ...8&cat=0&page=1
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Looks good, I might have to try one.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

since it is a gotech motor ...a couple of things should apply ....it will go rich and sputtering from a decent tune at least 2-4 times before it breaks in ....it would also be recommened to check the conrod bushing ...after the 2 gallon mark ....they have a tendancy to explode ...but if you check it and replace it it will work fine ...also if you move your carb around alot you may wanna replace the o-rings often ....they will tear and your carb will develop the ilusive gotech carb wiggle ...also you can put an extra .10 head shim for break in and it will ease the break in ...im saying this having run gotech all last year ....5 port 7 port 3 port r.....im just sayin ....
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
If its made by Caster..I can see why its called the Grenade...Its probably gonna blow up!
Whoop there it is
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
since it is a gotech motor ...a couple of things should apply ....it will go rich and sputtering from a decent tune at least 2-4 times before it breaks in ....it would also be recommened to check the conrod bushing ...after the 2 gallon mark ....they have a tendancy to explode ...but if you check it and replace it it will work fine ...also if you move your carb around alot you may wanna replace the o-rings often ....they will tear and your carb will develop the ilusive gotech carb wiggle ...also you can put an extra .10 head shim for break in and it will ease the break in ...im saying this having run gotech all last year ....5 port 7 port 3 port r.....im just sayin ....
thank for an informative post...I once had a go tech 5 port I think like a gen 2 it was hell to break in but super fast i got 2 gallons on it before my rear bearing seized(but i didn't take care of the motor as I should've)...I was a little more noob then...I will be trying one as soon as I can afford it but for now my caster will be powered by a PTM VSpec/Jp-3 combo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.