R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default turn marshaling for the el 1/8th scales

Am I out of line for not wanting to marshall for these things when people show up w/ 5kw motors on high traction tracks? How many of you would step on to the track to turn marshall for electric 1/8th buggies & truggies that go 70mph? Yeah, the power can be laid down w/ the right setup too. You just stiffen up the rear end more then you usually would & that front end will stay down under much heavier loads.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I just love it when the marshalls pick up the car and start carrying it to the side and the guy is up on the stand screaming at him to drop it! LOL What a riot. I dont mind marshalling them. But with alot of new guys getting into it I see a few people that drive like idiots because they cant controll the power. Plus they still have the bad nitro blipping habit.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

problem is that they hit twice as hard & come a whole lat faster so its a whole lot harder to get out of the way. 1/8th nitros can be scary as it is.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Am I out of line for not wanting to marshall for these things when people show up w/ 5kw motors on high traction tracks? How many of you would step on to the track to turn marshall for electric 1/8th buggies & truggies that go 70mph? Yeah, the power can be laid down w/ the right setup too. You just stiffen up the rear end more then you usually would & that front end will stay down under much heavier loads.
Why do you assume all electric buggies go 70mph? I am sure a basher might show up with some crazy setup, but no one that actually tries to race will have their car going 70 mph. Most are setup to run around 35-45 mph just like a nitro. The car would thermal (overheat) before he even made a few laps if it was geared to run 70mph, much less get any kind of traction.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
problem is that they hit twice as hard & come a whole lat faster so its a whole lot harder to get out of the way. 1/8th nitros can be scary as it is.
I have to agree with you. Most of the of the 1/8 Electric guys at my track are trigger happy (basher type of guys). Just keep your eyes open is all I have to say!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

People have been using 1/10th scale escs & helicopter motors to go 50 mph so who says a system can't be designed to push the envelope or that it doesn't already exist. I bet a neu 1512 .5d(5kv,5kw on 4s) could push the envelope if you strapped a good fan to the motor. There are bl escs out there that can handle over 400 amps of continous current. I'm sure that these could handle the 200 amp loads of these motors.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Why do you assume all electric buggies go 70mph? I am sure a basher might show up with some crazy setup, but no one that actually tries to race will have their car going 70 mph. Most are setup to run around 35-45 mph just like a nitro. The car would thermal (overheat) before he even made a few laps if it was geared to run 70mph, much less get any kind of traction.
LOL, how did this turn into the defending your electric buggy thread?

Relax bud, nobody was bashing your E's...some of us think its awesome that they can even do 70MPH! They sure are fun to watch
Old 02-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

No, I am trying to convince people that they need to put a motor limit on these buggies so that they will be closer to a nitro & not an 1/8th on road. There is a reason that good 1/8th on road tracks have walls for marshalls to hide behind. I figured that people in this thread would have alot more experience w/ marshaling these things & be able to give a valid opinion on the subject matter. These buggies can be set up to run like this & I believe that running them like this w/ people standing around marshaling is stupid & iresponsible.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

limit them to 4s like roar did and it shouldnt be an issue...
4s hard case and they wont be efficient enough to gear them like that and get away with it.
ShtLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It's very simple.......NEVER turn your back on the cars. as long as your facing towards the flow of traffic you can see it coming.
nitroburner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

These buggies only have to last 10 minutes. People don't have any problems w/ running 15 minutes w/ a neu 1512 1.5d which already pushes these cars to over 60 mph. If you don't think a .5d will push them to 70 mph & endure a 10 minute main then you need to do some more research.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroburner65 View Post
It's very simple.......NEVER turn your back on the cars. as long as your facing towards the flow of traffic you can see it coming.
problem is people get hit by 1/8th nitros as it already is.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You race. You Marshall.
I don't think that rule will ever change

I don't understand why all of a sudden we have issues with 1/8 going electric.
I guess some people just have to much free time on their hands.
I race both elec. and Nitro. I am addicted to this hobby and I will race anything. anytime, anywhere.
Only thing I am waiting on are micro-fuel cells
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What if your leading a race w an electric scale and the marshal thinks you flamed?? Big problem!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Tech Elite

There is nothing wrong w/ electric. There is a problem w/ there being no limit on the motors & escs are smooth enough to hit 70 mph in off road on big straights. If some one took a buggy to the head going 70 mph It would probly be fatal. Go ahead & chime in if you have been hit by a nitro going 40 mph & tell us what would have happend if it hit you with more then double the force. I've seen limbs get broken & heard of people being put in the hospital for a few days because they took a buggy or truggy to the dome. There is a reason that tracks don't let little kids turn marshall for 1/8th scales.