R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
There is nothing wrong w/ electric. There is a problem w/ there being no limit on the motors & escs are smooth enough to hit 70 mph in off road on big straights. If some one took a buggy to the head going 70 mph It would probly be fatal. Go ahead & chime in if you have been hit by a nitro going 40 mph & tell us what would have happend if it hit you with more then double the force. I've seen limbs get broken & heard of people being put in the hospital for a few days because they took a buggy or truggy to the dome. There is a reason that tracks don't let little kids turn marshall for 1/8th scales.
Nitros are capable of doing 70+ too - look at the one that was built for the Psycho Nitro Fest long jump record attempt. But no one drives on a track at 70 mph because it isn't practical. There is nothing different here between nitro and electric. They are made of the same materials, weigh nearly the same, and are capable of the same speeds.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2 words : catching equipment.

I have been hit indoors while marshalling a mod 1/10 tuck race because the guy was going outside of me, then he swerved to try to go inside, he ended up hitting my ankle and breaking an a-arm.

After that, because the work areas are about 6' from the straightaway ending in a 90 degree corner, if someone sees a crash, they have to go get it.

I honestly can't imagine my MGT 4.6 bearing down on me at 40 mph, 14 pounds, roll cage, doesn't seem too fun.
howtowakeakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
Nitros are capable of doing 70+ too - look at the one that was built for the Psycho Nitro Fest long jump record attempt. But no one drives on a track at 70 mph because it isn't practical. There is nothing different here between nitro and electric. They are made of the same materials, weigh nearly the same, and are capable of the same speeds.
Agreed. I personally think a lot of the nitro guys are made because now most of the BL guys are taking TQ or showing up in the A main. I look at it from a different view. In the past long before brushless electric couldn't touch the speed and run time of a nitro combined - it either had speed/less run time or less speed/more run time. Now, brushless has been taking over the nitro scene and coupled with the lipo battery packs now can outlast a nitro vehicle on a single tank of fuel as well run as fast or faster. It even happened at my local offroad track...few guys whining because an E-Revo took A-main and won the event. Big deal...he won end of story. It may be faster...well so? Some guys are running some lower end .21 engines compared to other peoples $300+ dollar engines and run right along side them...or win.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

As far as the hacks goes any guys with wreckless driving shouldn't be allowed to race unless they know how to drive properly. As far the marshalls themselves when I marshal I keep my eyes open to all that is around me. See when cars are coming, who has flipped and are nearby for me to run at get it, and which other marshals are near to get the other cars if I am busy. It's like driving a real car...know who is around you at all times and keep your eyes moving. Sure you wanna watch your buddy on the track and all, but remember he isn't the only one on the track. So if you get hit for not being careful that's your fault. If you tried to get out of the way and get clobbered by someone else that is another story.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did try and move, but when I moved in to avoid him, that's when he went in and I just went "Ah, crap, don't break my ankle." He was back out next heat.
howtowakeakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've been around and marshalled quite a few electric big cars the last couple seasons. Most the time you don't even know there's an electric out there if you're paying attention to the job at hand just b/c there's so much noise everywhere. But if you are at a big quad and you see a car sky it by fifteen feet farther than any other with pizza cutter wheels then you figure it out.

The biggest problem I've seen with big brushless vechicles is getting roosted when you put them down. These guys aren't so used to the loamy-er tracks and big tires that can hold lots of dirt then with instant torque can put your eyes out. I will not marshall without eye protection or gloves and never have. Certainly saved me a few times from the E-guys. But they learn if you tell them, just like the nitro newbs do.

A person that is out of control and jumping into marshalling areas is just dangerous no matter what he drives. I've seen more vspec equiped rides with a death tune on do way more stupid stuff than I've seen electric guys do.

The thread has a legitimate point though. These things can be as much or more dangerous than the nitros and if a RD sees somebody being foolish then it needs to be taken care of. If they don't see it, point it out to them.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Why don't they just get two separate e buggies? Marshall one, and do what ever you want to the other one. Just don't race the one that's pushing 70 mph.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
The last time I checked people still get hit & there is no point in making a hobby that is already dangerous lethaly dangerous.
Please dont go outside for you may be struck by lightning. It could happen.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Well not sure what tracks these are at.Most tracks i have been too have some safety rules in effect.If you get caught jumping or driving through a Marshalling area you get warned.Next time you are sent to the pit lane and your race is over.Bring it up with the RD.If you drive you marshal.....done.
This applies to any rc on the track no matter what powers it.
wiggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I'll chime in since I'm an electric guy who runs at my local track with the nitro guys. I'll admit it makes it much tougher when the electrics and nitros are running together. You really need to have your wits about you and keep your eyes open. What makes it tricky is that you don't hear them coming. But if you are doing your job as a marshal you should have a pretty good idea of where the cars are in relation to your area and which drivers are likely to stray off course. With that said I would rather marshal the e-cars than off road 1/5 scale - I have had the unpleasant experience of getting popped in the leg while marshaling a Baja 5b qualifier.
rice_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #41
Tech Master

Nobody races 70mph buggys its not practical & everyone will complain to the race director & that car wont race.I've seen nitro buggys get close to 70 & that don't mean people race them.It don't matter what you drive.If your an idiot that dont look where your going your gonna do that no matter what.I got a big chunk of missing meat on my shin last sat from one of those people & he was a nitro driver.when the entire drivers stand is yelling front straight & pit lane is yelling the same thing & all the other drivers slow & avoid the upside down car & theres that one retard that pays no attention to whats going on around him still going full wood down the front straight & whacks 3 cars before my shin then thats a lesson the other drivers in the pits need to take care of, inconsiderate people are simply not tolerated where I race.

The only good point in this topic was that elec drivers need to realize they have max torque the instant they touch the trigger but,I see nitro guys mash the throttle before I finish flipping them & rip their cars out of my hand too.It works out simple like this, if theres no hole in the body for a motor then the motors probably not flamed out & that will solve that problem.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Nobody races 70mph buggys its not practical & everyone will complain to the race director & that car wont race.I've seen nitro buggys get close to 70 & that don't mean people race them.It don't matter what you drive.If your an idiot that dont look where your going your gonna do that no matter what.I got a big chunk of missing meat on my shin last sat from one of those people & he was a nitro driver.when the entire drivers stand is yelling front straight & pit lane is yelling the same thing & all the other drivers slow & avoid the upside down car & theres that one retard that pays no attention to whats going on around him still going full wood down the front straight & whacks 3 cars before my shin then thats a lesson the other drivers in the pits need to take care of, inconsiderate people are simply not tolerated where I race.

The only good point in this topic was that elec drivers need to realize they have max torque the instant they touch the trigger but,I see nitro guys mash the throttle before I finish flipping them & rip their cars out of my hand too.It works out simple like this, if theres no hole in the body for a motor then the motors probably not flamed out & that will solve that problem.
You could step on it twice to see if it's still live .
Truth I've seen another racer (electric guy) step on one in a race before. Had something to do with very bad driving was hacking big time the was warned then told by the track operator to pull off the track and wouldn't.

One problem you don't hear them coming. I had electric nail the thottle too while marshalling them too. I had 1/10 flip it 5 times in the spot kepted nailing the thottle before it hit the ground. So instant flip but he blamed me for it.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Our track owner had his electric buggy carried back to the pits on two occasions during a race. It is confusing when an ebuggy flips during a dominantly nitro race. I suggest they put an ELECTRIC decal on it. One guy blips the throttle right when they pick it up to let them know it's electric.
LOL...I was the only 1/8th electric running this past weekend at MOTORAMA against the nitro 1/8th buggies. I can't tell you how many times I was marshalled and they were carrying my buggy off the track when I blipped the throttle and scared the heck out of the marshalls....haha

I was just running for the fun of it so I didn't care. Once the class grows big enough that we have enough for our own heats the marshalling thing won't be that big a deal.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
One guy blips the throttle right when they pick it up to let them know it's electric.
i do that when im at the track and i flip. i always hit the gas right before they flip it so they know its not nitro and its not dead lol. but then you get some people that still try and take it off the track.

or

when the buggy is really dead like low voltage came on or something went wrong but the turn marshal knows its brushless and he just flips it over and looks at it for a while and wonders why its not moving haha.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #45
Tech Elite

At some point maybe marshalls will have to wear protective gear like a baseball helmet with the grill guard on the front or a football helmet.

One of my team guys got koed by a runaway mugen truggy and had a 17 stitch laceration on his forehead and another 5 stitch laceration on the bridge of his nose. Of course the bruising looked like he was in a UFC match....

I am just glad he is fine now, but it has concerned me personally over the years.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote