Wiki Posts
Search

wants a good truggy motor that wont break the bank

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry guys,

It will go into a losi 8ight b race roller.
It is a medium sized track with about a 100ft straight and some large jumps
I am a beginner to racing and nitro in general but know how to tune
I would like good bottom but still have decent top to keep up on the straight
Fuel mileage would be a +
Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is what i can recommend out of those.

GO Race 3 port. I have had hundreds of call's on brian why aren't you doing GO engines anymore, well i will first start by saying, yes the parts fit and finish and power of these engines are very good, and yes these motor's had tuning issues at first, not many company's will go to the effert to perfect a product like GO has. I would recommend the 5 though over the 3 with a good topend pipe. Depending on when you are looking to buy, sooner than later GO is going to have to release the new TI coated crank to the public in the engine, not as a aftermarket part, the cranks recently where purposly made softer, and this killed the longevity these engines once had, 9 nand 10 gallons was not uncommon for us even on modded GO's

The Dynamite, good little mill, very smooth if you like that, can be tricky on tune sometimes.

JPX, very good motor, stock or modded tunes pretty good and good topend.

GO 7, very nice engine, wicked top, But ^^^

EX Tech, great motor, smooth bottom but more than enough, and very good topend and runtimes, can be touchy on tune.

RB, good, easy reliable tunning, less top than some of the abouve, snappy bottom, very easy to drive hard.

The Nova is my pick, the limited even more so, shorter stroke than the standard NR design, but still with great bottom, and topend that will suprise you, for getting started this is it, the RB would be my second pick.

Good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree, even though I do not have the engine Knowledge of Brian...Never pass up the opportunity to drop a Novarossi in your buggy..In the world of RC engines for 8 scale offroad....there is Novarossi, and then there is everything else.............
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

nova is good mill but no longer the top dog in my opinion. the new big on the block things are the reliable cheap and heavy hitting power of O.S. engines if you have truggy run .28 with throttle set to half open and get 9-10 min runtime with buku power if buggy run any of the vzb vspec engines reg. modded pro mod is the new one from os which is speed for the most part minus aluminum carb inserts of just get the best thing on the market right now the speed itself but if it is cheap you want there is nothing close to a vspec for the price of 250 or less if you shop around a little
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok so even if I got like 230 to spend the nova is still the way to go?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by [email protected]
no look on ebay for vspec .21 there was a few on thier for 229 monday evening that was the buy it now price might still be there or just spend the xtra 20 and pay 150 will be way better than nova bf motor which is nova bottom line motor versus the best os mill to come out in years you do the math oh by the way i have nova and love it but its a p5x and has been modded and still isnt the motor that my stock vspec is with jp3 pipe
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

If the price was right, how would a Pro Twister RB S5L2G sound to ya, NIB
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
nova is good mill but no longer the top dog in my opinion. the new big on the block things are the reliable cheap and heavy hitting power of O.S. engines if you have truggy run .28 with throttle set to half open and get 9-10 min runtime with buku power if buggy run any of the vzb vspec engines reg. modded pro mod is the new one from os which is speed for the most part minus aluminum carb inserts of just get the best thing on the market right now the speed itself but if it is cheap you want there is nothing close to a vspec for the price of 250 or less if you shop around a little
I strongly agree, but i think a V Spec could be to much motor at times.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
The RB S3 and Novarossi N21B are almost the same engines. Nova makes Rb engines so they tune the same. But for $230, you can get the RB S5. It has alot more power than the S3 ive been told, and is a good all around engine. This is the engien I am going to get next.

Mr. Twister? How would for that S5 modded?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racerx1920
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK8087

this is a good motor ALOT of power and it wont brake your wallet get the motor and back plate for it, 13 bucks + - and you have a strong motor for around 150, give or take a few dollers and it will keep up with the vspecs and other high doller motors. after running it for a wile send it to get it pinched for 20 bucks and go burn some more fuel.
you guys are missing the point most of the motors mentioned are low end motors that make big power for a few gallons then are junkor need bearings re-pinch. now then vspec is top notch for what 40-5- more bucks spend the money. there is a reason that almost 75% of the top racers out there run vspecs it is the way to go by far if just cant afford the 220-250 it will cost then go alll the down to sh .21 can get it for 129 at hobby people and they are 8 port and dirty fast but like the others it wont out last a vspec
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
The RB S3 and Novarossi N21B are almost the same engines. Nova makes Rb engines so they tune the same. But for $230, you can get the RB S5. It has alot more power than the S3 ive been told, and is a good all around engine. This is the engien I am going to get next.

Mr. Twister? How would for that S5 modded?
Do you have a S5 you want done, or refering to the one i have?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

you guys are missing the point most of the motors mentioned are low end motors that make big power for a few gallons then are junkor need bearings re-pinch. now then vspec is top notch for what 40-5- more bucks spend the money. there is a reason that almost 75% of the top racers out there run vspecs it is the way to go by far if just cant afford the 220-250 it will cost then go alll the down to sh .21 can get it for 129 at hobby people and they are 8 port and dirty fast but like the others it wont out last a vspec
sorry, but that i disagree with lol, people buy the OS for what it can do, yes many people get great life out of them, but saying a Nova can't last as long is just not true.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
I strongly agree, but i think a V Spec could be to much motor at times.

i would have to disagree with both of you. I think OS uses the cheepest materials they can find, and the engines are thrown together by people making $10 a week. they have no quality control, and customer service is terrible. OS makes the best 3 gallon engines on the market...if you dont heat em before every run, you need new bearings and a new connecting rod after 2 gallons..They lose their pinch really quick..OS are for for pro racers, people who really know what they are doing, and people who dont mind spending $100 on their engines every 3 gallons. I apologize if I sound like I am bashing OS, that is not my intent. I am giving an honest opinion to a new racer. I have seen soooo many people have problems with OS engines, whether it was the $300 V-spec, or the $500 speed, they need TLC...way tooo much TLC for off road racing..Of course this is just my opinion and what do I know, but the dozens of people I personally know that have had bad experiences will agree with me.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
sorry, but that i disagree with lol, people buy the OS for what it can do, yes many people get great life out of them, but saying a Nova can't last as long is just not true.
i agree the novas that will last like the os are also more pricey than the os i am sure that being a motor moder you know what you are talking about but at 240 or so the vspec is pretty much pick o the litter much better than the 2001 bf motor from nova they are both good but i think os will out run it hands down with alot more bottom end than any motor in the 250 range. i have run plenty of motors i love nova motors run a p5x modded in my car with ceramic bearings but it is much more than 250 dollar motor and still my stock vspec which has just as much bottom not top but close gets 1.5 min more run time
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
i would have to disagree with both of you. I think OS uses the cheepest materials they can find, and the engines are thrown together by people making $10 a week. they have no quality control, and customer service is terrible. OS makes the best 3 gallon engines on the market...if you dont heat em before every run, you need new bearings and a new connecting rod after 2 gallons..They lose their pinch really quick..OS are for for pro racers, people who really know what they are doing, and people who dont mind spending $100 on their engines every 3 gallons. I apologize if I sound like I am bashing OS, that is not my intent. I am giving an honest opinion to a new racer. I have seen soooo many people have problems with OS engines, whether it was the $300 V-spec, or the $500 speed, they need TLC...way tooo much TLC for off road racing..Of course this is just my opinion and what do I know, but the dozens of people I personally know that have had bad experiences will agree with me.
very well said for sure, how a motor is taken care of is key, and yes some are very prone to short life, that is the #1 saying on the OS, doesn't last. But some do i guess, i know i don't need to replace a rod after 3 gallons on a NR or RB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.