R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
i would have to disagree with both of you. I think OS uses the cheepest materials they can find, and the engines are thrown together by people making $10 a week. they have no quality control, and customer service is terrible. OS makes the best 3 gallon engines on the market...if you dont heat em before every run, you need new bearings and a new connecting rod after 2 gallons..They lose their pinch really quick..OS are for for pro racers, people who really know what they are doing, and people who dont mind spending $100 on their engines every 3 gallons. I apologize if I sound like I am bashing OS, that is not my intent. I am giving an honest opinion to a new racer. I have seen soooo many people have problems with OS engines, whether it was the $300 V-spec, or the $500 speed, they need TLC...way tooo much TLC for off road racing..Of course this is just my opinion and what do I know, but the dozens of people I personally know that have had bad experiences will agree with me.
man that is seriously the first time i have heard that about these engines they need bearings at about 3 gallons just like the nova and most motors which are only 50 bucks besides that they are a no pinch motor meaning they dont need much to run never understood why but they work like that can be a little touchy to get tuned b ut once thier there they are there anyway sorry you have had bad luck with them i currently have one that stock with 9 gallons on it still runs great and will idle 4 ever but i might have just had great luck with them al long as the guy who started this thread buys a good motor such as rb nova or os and breaks in right and checks temp and tunes right to each day of racing. should get enough life out of motor to learn how to drive 1/8th scale buggy then go to faster better motor
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OK, very good opinions on all level's, but the bottom line is he need's a simple engine, he may or may not need a engine ran by world champion's hence why i said it can be to much at time's, for some people. out of what he listed i posted my thought's. I totally respect the expeirence your opinions come from, either way NR, OS RB, if the guy get's good he can kick ass with any of them.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
OK, very good opinions on all level's, but the bottom line is he need's a simple engine, he may or may not need a engine ran by world champion's hence why i said it can be to much at time's, for some people. out of what he listed i posted my thought's. I totally respect the expeirence your opinions come from, either way NR, OS RB, if the guy get's good he can kick ass with any of them.
Yes i agree with that 100% any of those three is quality mill to start with
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Do you have a S5 you want done, or refering to the one i have?
Im referring t the one you might have, how much would it be modded?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Im referring t the one you might have, how much would it be modded?
ygpm
Check us out on Facebook
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #66
Tech Rookie

Default Werks???

What about Werks B3 Pro-C .21? Anyone runs one? It's 200 at Amain now!
I'm also looking for a truggy (Losi 8T 2.0) engine under 200...top of the list is Nova N21B but it's out of stock now. I will place my order around 10th of March, maybe they will restock.

Guys, also it's a good ideea to give few pipe options, budget pipes actually.

How Nova N21B runs with Trinity Extech bigboy (2056)?
florin_cta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin_cta View Post
What about Werks B3 Pro-C .21? Anyone runs one? It's 200 at Amain now!
I'm also looking for a truggy (Losi 8T 2.0) engine under 200...top of the list is Nova N21B but it's out of stock now. I will place my order around 10th of March, maybe they will restock.

Guys, also it's a good ideea to give few pipe options, budget pipes actually.

How Nova N21B runs with Trinity Extech bigboy (2056)?
if you can't find a n21 by then let me know, not sure about the bigboy.
Check us out on Facebook
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #68
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO since he is going to be running Truggy he should look for an engine with a strong low end.. I hate trying to drive a Truggy with a soft bottom end....

Also on the topic of soft cranks, I gotta say Picco uses some dam hard steel, anyone who has milled a Picco crank will likely agree with me.. so far I would say its the hardest cranks to mill that I have done... so for $220 the Picco .21's offer alot of motor for the dollar... I am interested in trying the new Nova's, but I can offer no opinion on them till I run them...I currently have been running a mod V-Spec, its super smooth and easy to drive with a great top end, however i dont think it has the pop the Picco does....

If i were to pick a new Nova what would anyone suggest ?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

With any brand engine buy one from someone that can help you get it broke in and tuned. Most of problems with any brand engine are due to user not breaking it in right, not tuning it right, poor filter maint. etc. Saving $20.00 and ordering from some overseas place might not be the cheapest in the long run. Start with a local Hs first.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
IMO since he is going to be running Truggy he should look for an engine with a strong low end.. I hate trying to drive a Truggy with a soft bottom end....

Also on the topic of soft cranks, I gotta say Picco uses some dam hard steel, anyone who has milled a Picco crank will likely agree with me.. so far I would say its the hardest cranks to mill that I have done... so for $220 the Picco .21's offer alot of motor for the dollar... I am interested in trying the new Nova's, but I can offer no opinion on them till I run them...I currently have been running a mod V-Spec, its super smooth and easy to drive with a great top end, however i dont think it has the pop the Picco does....

A few of the pro guys here at the Pit have been giddy about the new +4. 10+ minute run times with smooth power through the whole band...tons of low end, and enough top to hang with the best of them..they came out at $279 but they are up to $320 now..I have not tried one yet, but it is on my short list for the next engine. let us know if you try one...I am sure some of the other engine mod guys will chime in on my thoughts of the +4
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post

NR Toro, i would like to see you do the magic on that thing
Check us out on Facebook
Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
NR Toro, i would like to see you do the magic on that thing
Well if thats the hot ticket I would love to try it... What hurts is the cost of those engines and the parts I would need..my dollar is much lower these days so it makes a venture like this hard to explain to wifey..I will usually sacrifice a sleeve or two and at times a crank finding the timing limits of the engine..

What is the story on the Toro Nero ? any info on its bore/stroke or other features ? what is its strong point as far as performance ?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #73
Tech Adept

check out the x tech engine line theay are priced good and run strong top to bottom and i must say i was suprised with the way theay stand behind the product and even the customers that run the engines help with any problems
tom slick 50 is offline   Reply With Quote